Two Vigclaims

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Two Vigclaims

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Post by StefanB »

Since it came up in a game (now over).
You have a player claim 2-shot vig, this gets cc by a player claiming x-shotvig (could be one).
You are in a game that was revieved for beeing normal and balanced by mini-normalreviewers.
Do you lynch in the vigs or outside?
Harambey180
Harambey180
He/him
Goon
Harambey180
He/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Post by Harambey180 »

I wouldn't lynch the vigs.
Two vigs in a game seems unlikely, so probably one of them really is a vig and the other isn't.
That means that the real vig of the two is bound to shoot the other one at night. The other one, the lying one, is probably anti-Town when they fakeclaim vig.

Without context, I wouldn't really be able to tell which one is the actual vigi but that doesn't matter as long as we keep the two alive, because most likely only one of them is a vig and that one is definitely going to shoot the other.

But that's just my guess.
hi
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:28 am

Post by StefanB »

I forget somethink to add, the game is confirmed 10:3 if that helps.
Harambey180
Harambey180
He/him
Goon
Harambey180
He/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:34 am

Post by Harambey180 »

In post 2, StefanB wrote:I forget somethink to add, the game is confirmed 10:3 if that helps.
That helps less than if you told us what day the game was in. For example, day 3 means that the 2-shot vigi could have already used all their shots.
If it's D1 and this scenario happened (which it never does cuz which vigi, or power role in general, claims there role on D1? Let alone a counterclaim), lynch neither.
If it's D3, you could favor pressuring the 2-shot vigi to share with everyone if he still has shots left, and what shots he already fired and who he fired at. Pressuring the 2-shot vigi I prefer over the x-shot vigi because you know how many shots the 2-shot vigi has. Probably on something like day 3, you could first pressure the 2-shot vigi to gain more information and then decide if you still want a lynch to happen. No lynch (between those two) is still better imo after you pressured the two of them.
hi
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 am

Post by StefanB »

D1
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 am

Post by StefanB »

First claim was on L1.
Harambey180
Harambey180
He/him
Goon
Harambey180
He/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:43 am

Post by Harambey180 »

OK. D1 and two vigi claims, lynch neither and let the real vig shoot the fakeclaim. It's almost guaranteed at least one of them is a vigi, and the odds of both of them being vigi is assumably small. Though I don't know the setup for the game, but for most setups I'd say it's unlikely there are two vigi's so there's only one truthteller.

Look at it like this: If you do lynch either of the two, what if you have the wrong one? Well yes, now you know the other one is lying and you can get them lynched. But you sacrificed your vigi because if you didn't lynch the vigi, then the vigi would have shot the liar. In other words:
No lynching: Vigi shoots liar. You lose a liar.
Lynching: Lynching the actual vigi: You lose a vigi and a liar afterwards. Lynching the liar: You lose a liar.

So it's either a guaranteed loss of a liar, or a chance of losing just a liar or also the vigi. Let the vigi do their job.

Edit: I don't think it matters much when the role is claimed. Nearly everyone claims a role on L-1 so it's pretty irrelevant to me.
hi
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:03 am

Post by the worst »

if it's d1 don't they resolve each other via factional kill and/or number of deaths anyway without the drama?
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:45 am

Post by Creature »

I guess you leave both vigilantes alive, but it's very likely one of them is SK and should be policied later in the game.
Sigh
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:16 am

Post by Mulch »

You lynch the counterclaimed vig obviously lol

This isn’t even a question

<if both are scum, you want to lynch in them
<if one is scum, you want to lynch in them (because one could be bulletproof or something)
<if both are town... you STILL want to lynch in them, because the other vig can prove themselves by shooting someone in the nigh
Even BESIDES all this, the odds of one scum (specifically the one getting ccced)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>< any other outcome
Amrock#3784
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:23 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 8, Creature wrote:I guess you leave both vigilantes alive, but it's very likely one of them is SK and should be policied later in the game.
Don't CC the known serial killer obvobv.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:35 am

Post by StefanB »

Creature, RC: Confirmed 10:3.
There was no serialkiller.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:09 am

Post by Mathdino »

How often does scum fakeclaim vig without some method of protecting themselves from being shot by real vigs?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:13 am

Post by mastina »

In post 12, Mathdino wrote:How often does scum fakeclaim vig without some method of protecting themselves from being shot by real vigs?
Still, you give it a night. Scum are never given bulletproof vests for some reason (I dunno why, it's just not a role mods give scum), and very rarely do they have a doctor. If interference exists, it's probably a roleblocker, which then must be parked on the vig.

If the game has a watcher (a common role combo by the way; vig + watcher is something I've seen in dozens of reviews and hundreds of games), bam, watcher guilties the scum roleblocker. (You might wonder, what stops this from working by just lynching the scum claiming vig? Well aside from the chance that you lynch the town in the two claims, there's also the fact that with said scumlynch, scum lose their incentive to block or even kill the vig. Damage done, vig's conftown, vig is now likely to shoot town. So the scum have no incentive to visit the vig, thus, cannot be caught by the watcher.)

If the game doesn't have a watcher, you still know where the roleblock is, allowing for the town investigative (because if there's an X-shot vig with no watcher I guarantee you the town has an investigative) to move without the interference of said roleblock.

If the scum do have a non-roleblock killstop method and thus the vig kill fails, well, then you simply resolve it D2.

This is a case where you almost never lose anything by waiting a day for resolution, but almost always gain a ton by letting things resolve overnight.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:18 am

In post 11, StefanB wrote:Creature, RC: Confirmed 10:3.
There was no serialkiller.
I was poking fun at an off-site game where

Creature didn't CC brainbomb the vig
Transcend claimed he was going to cop me and I correctly predicted him not doing so as scum and won off of not killing him
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 am

Post by StefanB »

To make this clear what would have happen.
Mulch was right.
Scum was odd-night bulletproof even-night strongman.
The roleblock was in odd-nights in townhands (as JK) neighbour to the scum who had it in even nights.
(Last scumrole was watcher)
The game was in danger of nolynch day 1.
A lot of players were thinking about 2 vigs (including the scum who was counterclaimed)
So you can imagine what would happen on day 2.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:36 am

Post by Mathdino »

In post 13, mastina wrote:
In post 12, Mathdino wrote:How often does scum fakeclaim vig without some method of protecting themselves from being shot by real vigs?
Still, you give it a night. Scum are never given bulletproof vests for some reason (I dunno why, it's just not a role mods give scum), and very rarely do they have a doctor. If interference exists, it's probably a roleblocker, which then must be parked on the vig.

[snip]

If the scum do have a non-roleblock killstop method and thus the vig kill fails, well, then you simply resolve it D2.

This is a case where you almost never lose anything by waiting a day for resolution, but almost always gain a ton by letting things resolve overnight.
this post is particularly amusing to me given that i did give scum a BP vest and there were 3 roles that could've been RNG'd into roles that could've stopped the kill (roleblocker/jailkeepers)
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am

I will give all my scum bulletproof vests in my next game
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:43 am

Post by StefanB »

For me it was amusing because Mastins answer was directly (unknown to him) directed at the mod of the game.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 0, StefanB wrote:Since it came up in a game (now over).
You have a player claim 2-shot vig, this gets cc by a player claiming x-shotvig (could be one).
You are in a game that was revieved for beeing normal and balanced by mini-normalreviewers.
Do you lynch in the vigs or outside?
Vig doesn't counterclaim during the day phase, question is irrelevant.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Post by StefanB »

Grey: You get that that realy happened in a game, right?
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Post by Mathdino »

the scenario was that a scum Odd-Night BP claimed 2-shot Vig at L-1

there was a JOAT with a 1-shot Vig, who counterclaimed on the basis that

- roles were NAI by game design. scum could easily have gotten docs, JKs, BPs, etc

- because of this, he assumed scum would only claim vig if they had some means of protection

setup spec heavily indicated the roles were incompatible in the same setup

an argument then ensued over whether the players should lynch elsewhere and allow a cross-shoot to happen, or to just lynch the original vig claim
BuJaber
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Post by BuJaber »

If it happens again I am shooting the first claim everytime.

But the counterclaim shouldn't have happened. I would never CC if I ever roll vig unless I can't shoot that same night. (Go ahead claim vig if you are scum in a game with me).

Basically I can't think of any reason why night vig would ever claim D1. I also don't see any reason why scum would claim vig. Therefore if it happens again one of those is being dumb and since it is dumber for the actual vig to do it the first claimer is almost guaranteed to be scum.

Claiming vig before having a chance to shoot.. my god man.
And scum claiming vig to out vig. Wow you just sacrificed yourself to expose one of the most swingy town roles good job.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue May 01, 2018 3:11 am

Post by brassherald »

I think that game shows exactly why you lynch the cc'ed person. The first big claim was a bp mafia on odd nights, the other was a JOAT with a 1 shot Vig.

These don't resolve like people think, so lynch the first claim like any other PR. Usually a vig probably wouldn't bother to CC
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 20, StefanB wrote:Grey: You get that that realy happened in a game, right?
Then I'm super sad.

The real vig should shoot the fake one at night.
In post 21, Mathdino wrote:the scenario was that a scum Odd-Night BP claimed 2-shot Vig at L-1

there was a JOAT with a 1-shot Vig, who counterclaimed on the basis that

-
roles were NAI by game design.
scum could easily have gotten docs, JKs, BPs, etc

- because of this, he assumed scum would only claim vig if they had some means of protection

setup spec heavily indicated the roles were incompatible in the same setup

an argument then ensued over whether the players should lynch elsewhere and allow a cross-shoot to happen, or to just lynch the original vig claim
A mod handing vigs to scum wants the town to lose.

That being said, always lynch the main claim over the counterclaim. You'll be right like 95% of the time.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones

Return to “Mafia Discussion”