"Mutliple Roles, One Action" Mechanic

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

"Mutliple Roles, One Action" Mechanic

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

I was off reading this forum to re-familiarize myself with Mafia (it's been a while), and a few things hit me between reading and remembering:
  • -Massclaims are generally pretty unfun when they can be solved/generate conftown, but are otherwise interesting
    -Having roles is cool
    -Role madness help the above two things, but inflates the power-level of the Night phase severely
    -Swinginess is generally a bad thing
One thing that might work out to solve all the problems is some kind of multiple-roles, one action game, where multiple players share the same role, but only one of them activates each Night.

Spoiler: Example 13p Setup

Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Jailer
Mafia Jailer

Town Rolecop
Town Rolecop
Town Rolecop
Town Jailer
Town Tracker
Town Tracker
Town Tracker
Town Tracker
Town Voyuer
Town Voyuer

In this, one of each of Jail, Rolecop, Track, and Voyuer would activate each night, independent of the alignment of the holder. Whose action succeeds would be determined by each player sending in a whole number from 1-5 along with their action. The lowest non-duplicate number would succeed. e.g. if the 3 trackers send in 1, 1, 4, whoever sent in the "4" would track that Night.

My questions to you all are:
  • Does this sound fun or have anything you dislike about it?
    How should roleblocking work? If the target would otherwise successfully, say Rolecop, does one of the other Rolecops activate instead, or do all fail for the Night? Should it remove your choice of number, too?
    Should tracking/watching/voyuering only work on those who successfully act, or on everyone?
    Any other roles you think would be interesting for the set-up? Especially so if they play very differently between alignments, such as Vanillarizer or this one:
    Spoiler: Compulsive Bookie
    Each night, must choose a Mark for the following Day.
    If the Mark is lynched, it is announced at the lynch scene, and the Mafia factional kill is upgraded the following Night to have both the Ninja and Strongman modifiers.
    The Bookie is not told if their action succeeds each Night.
    Any variants or modifications to the rules you think would be interesting? e.g. Mafia are all JoaT, and choose which action to use each Night. Everyone (or just Mafia) are supplied at game start with a list of what roles are in the game.
    What flavor(s) would fit the mechanics well? (something more catchy than "Mutliple Roles, One Action")
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

Does this sound fun or have anything you dislike about it?
I disagree with your premise "having roles is cool" and think this is a set back for just about everyone that doesn't want to play Mafia: Arcade Edition.

The entire idea offers free town clears like "I know I didn't get a result, so I can confirm another townie", which is far more powerful than one of six trackers getting "No Result".

Something like this could be interesting as it's own mechanic, but it has to be done right.
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

In post 1, Lycanfire wrote:
Does this sound fun or have anything you dislike about it?
The entire idea offers free town clears like "I know I didn't get a result, so I can confirm another townie", which is far more powerful than one of six trackers getting "No Result".
Hmm? Did I miss some kind of loophole for easy clearing?

Edit: Oh, I think I might get it. I wasn't clear about this, but the set-up would be closed. The example is just what a possible set-up could look like.
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

There are role modifiers like Night Specific that exist.

I'll come back to this later with a more in-depth answer.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”