Problems with the Queues

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:07 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Like I don't like that I have to make posts like this when people make threads discussing a good choice for the first setup they mod:
popsofctown wrote:But apparently she -technically- can't run that setup, since the 10th player makes it not a micro, and it isn't on the approved setup list, which is the requirement for a first tme mod in the Open Queue as Cheery Dog mentioned.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 349, OkaPoka wrote:what if newbie mods can run micro opens that are approved by some form in the open queue even if its designed by them
This is status quo as far as I know and I don't think anyone is proposing changing it.
If this is sarcasm I don't understand the implicit shade towards 10-13p games and wish you would be straightforward explaining why you think Micros are sufficient or important or whatever
Last edited by popsofctown on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

wait I could've run a self designed micro open in the open queue as a first time mod?
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10 pm

Post by popsofctown »

yes
I think you actually did, wasn't dayvig deactivators your first game? Is this the twilight zone?
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

I ran that in the micro queue because I didn't think it was allowed to be run in open queue
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that first time mods had to select a game from a list to run for open queue
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:15 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

You’re correct.
<(") | (")>
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:16 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I misread your post, you're right that the micro queue and open queue have different policies
Last edited by popsofctown on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, I..."
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 356, PenguinPower wrote:You’re correct.
what do you think about all this penguin
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 358, northsidegal wrote:
In post 356, PenguinPower wrote:You’re correct.
what do you think about all this penguin
I appreciate that everyone is discussing their thoughts for how to improve the queue and agree that there needs to be change, as T-Bone indicated. I think some potential changes raised recently have merit and have shared my opinion with T-Bone.

I do have a perspective from running the queue for awhile a bit differently than was done by LlamaFluff and have also shared that.
<(") | (")>
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:05 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 342, OkaPoka wrote:I think this site whether you like it or not - is getting more and more suited to a faster meta, deadlines are moving down, people are posting more (don't quote me on that one)

Maybe we should split the queues on activity levels
This would be acceptable to me. I don’t agree with all of MU but they have a split for their regular games (generally 36-72 hour days and 12-24 hour nights), mashes (12 hour days and nights) and longer games (like 7 week days and 48 hour nights).
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:17 am

Post by Kerset »

In post 337, RadiantCowbells wrote: And we're in the middle of a quarantine where the amount of people who have free time available is at an all time high and we should be seeing more people playing but we're just... not
And I look at, like, secrethitler.io having to cancel signups due to overloaded servers and EM and a lot of resistance websites having the same problem and MU having this big resurgence but it's not happening here
Are there stats how many people play from mobile? I have a feeling that most people play this game outside of home in time when they are unable to commit themselves to regular game.
giv me pagetop :(
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:13 am

Post by Micc »

Theoretically, if the micro queue offered a slot for queued marathon games, would the community take interest in that? Say someone wants to /in to mod a micro at X:XX time on a given day with 30 minute deadlines. Would players sign up?

What if the mod is offering this at a consistent time every week? Would a community of players form that habitually plays mafia when available at that time?
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:59 am

Post by OkaPoka »

In post 362, Micc wrote:Theoretically, if the micro queue offered a slot for queued marathon games, would the community take interest in that? Say someone wants to /in to mod a micro at X:XX time on a given day with 30 minute deadlines. Would players sign up?

What if the mod is offering this at a consistent time every week? Would a community of players form that habitually plays mafia when available at that time?
I am interested in this, perhaps it could be modular in th sense that setup changes based on playercount?

Only issue i see is that this requires a decent playerbase which i dont know we have since i dont want to play vengeful over and over again
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 am

Post by popsofctown »

What's wrong with playing vengeful over and over again it's a fine setup
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 am

Post by OkaPoka »

variety is the spice of life
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:54 am

Post by Micc »

That's the biggest question I have for the community - would a queue help to fix problems such as not knowing how many people are going to show up for a marathon game?

If the game mod says they have a 9 player setup they want to run at X:XX on 3/30, will 9 players make time in their schedule to signup for and play that game?

Sometimes there might not be enough players so the game mod has to reschedule a different time, but if a few of these games fire a week would the community latch onto that? Would there be enough interest that it makes sense to formalize this idea as a part of the micro queue?

Pushing the micro queue towards small, quick games all the way down to marathon speed is an idea that popped up in our discussion behind the scenes as something that might makes sense in conjunction with pushing non-marathon speed 9 player opens back to the Open queue. I think this idea ties together solutions to a lot of the things people are expressing concern over: gives more purpose to the Open queue, allows for T-bone to establish a process for design & test of new setups, opens up the site to players who want more marathon style games, gives the micro queue a purpose beyond allowing mods to shortcut other queues.

So I'm here asking for feedback. Would you sign up to play a marathon game if you knew when it would start ~1 week in advance?
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:08 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Is a more reliable model for ensuring that marathon-speed games fire to plan them well in advance, or to assemble a playerlist directly at the time of playing, as with marathons and MU turbos? The latter seems unsuited to a "queue" model as it would likely be too quick to reliably be able to be overseen by the listmod, but it also seems to sidestep some issues that I can see with games planned well in advance, such as people forgetting that a game is taking place. If that were to happen then it would likely require the game mod to scramble to find a replacement player anyways, in some sense imitating the marathon/turbo model.

I think that a queue would help make it so that 9 players
could
make time in their schedule to sign up for and play that game, but I also think that it would run into some issues. That being said, maybe the fact that replacements would be necessary and that issues would arise doesn't mean that the idea itself is an untenable one.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Post by Kerset »

Couldn't player singup earlier and appear X:XX on 3/30? If player sing up game to play at specific hour then i think that he will keep his word.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:12 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I feel like I probably wouldn't. Generally what's great about marathon weekend for me is being able to project my availability just a brief distance in advance and commit without knowing further in advance. At least to the extent that everyone in the universe is pops something like Alisae deadlines would be closer to the answer but I don't know if I'm an outlier
"Well, I..."
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Post by N »

In post 368, Kerset wrote:Couldn't player singup earlier and appear X:XX on 3/30? If player sing up game to play at specific hour then i think that he will keep his word.
this isn't karaoke
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

In post 366, Micc wrote:That's the biggest question I have for the community - would a queue help to fix problems such as not knowing how many people are going to show up for a marathon game?

If the game mod says they have a 9 player setup they want to run at X:XX on 3/30, will 9 players make time in their schedule to signup for and play that game?

Sometimes there might not be enough players so the game mod has to reschedule a different time, but if a few of these games fire a week would the community latch onto that? Would there be enough interest that it makes sense to formalize this idea as a part of the micro queue?

Pushing the micro queue towards small, quick games all the way down to marathon speed is an idea that popped up in our discussion behind the scenes as something that might makes sense in conjunction with pushing non-marathon speed 9 player opens back to the Open queue. I think this idea ties together solutions to a lot of the things people are expressing concern over: gives more purpose to the Open queue, allows for T-bone to establish a process for design & test of new setups, opens up the site to players who want more marathon style games, gives the micro queue a purpose beyond allowing mods to shortcut other queues.

So I'm here asking for feedback. Would you sign up to play a marathon game if you knew when it would start ~1 week in advance?
Marathon one week in advance? Unlikely, if anything I'd signup towards the last 48 hrs.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Post by Micc »

The logistical issues of someone being late or missing entirely will definitely still exist. Perhaps a queue presents an opportunity to plan for those issues in a way that our traditional marathon system doesn't? Something like a designated replacement, and eventual WotM of habitual no-show players. I don't know if it would work. It's possible that someone just has to give it a try to find out.

Also, you don't have to sign up a week in advance, you're just liable to missing out on a spot if you wait until ~48 hours before. Possible that creates a situation where people are signing up for games before knowing that they can play just so they don't miss out. but also at that point its been proven that demand is there for games like this which is probably good for the site.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I think if you project an understanding of high flake tolerance it could work, I could commit to it in a different way than I commit to a forum speed game
"Well, I..."
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am

Post by Micc »

We're going to give the queued marathons thing a try on a trial basis. Check out the Micro Queue for details.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”