Problems with the Queues

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:25 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 191, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 1, Mathdino wrote:
There is no clear avenue to join the NRG right now, and there hasn't been for years. So it's hard to see the attempts to solve the review bottleneck as being in good faith.
This is actually something I might be interested in doing but yeah I'm not aware of any avenue to become an NRG reviewer. I assume they're simply asked to do it.
There was a link in the list mod of the normal queue's signature from the moment I started being list mod until the moment I stopped.

I failed to respond to Mathdino, and a couple of others, but equally when I brought people to the NRG to agree with me, I got resistance and push back. Maybe I should have been more firm, but I was trying to not piss off the reviewers we had.

I dropped the ball, and I feel bad about it. Implosion is doing a good job at clawing back the shit I left.
Trans rights are human rights.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:32 am

Post by Aristophanes »

part of the problem here comes from the userbase here tho. if you look at the queues right now, there are currently 5 mods queued up between the open (2), mini themed (0), micro (2), and newbie (1) queues. players are a problem too, as the micro queue has seen a game pulled just today, the mini themed queue had "players and mods wanted" or whatever in the title, and the newbies have bare bones ic (1) and se (2) for a single game signed up.

i don't know what we can do other than promoting open setups and whatnot for mods to try out in the various queues but we need to address this badly. Is nobody is modding and nobody is playing, what even is this site for? speakeasy is always so busy, so how do we get those users into the queues to play and mod games?

i think ot would be nice to have apart of ypur site identity be the number of games you've modded, like under your pronoun have a "games modded" section which yes, would add work for the green team to keep up with but might get people more interested in hosting games. Another that was discussed a few years ago was a "my hero" honorary scummy for those who replace into a certain number of games throughout the year. this would ideally promote people to take that plunge. Perhaps recognizing those who religiously ic games would be good too, as ics are the ones who make or break site growth sometimes. maybe call it "sensei" or something.

i just hate seeing so many low queues, especially in the summertime when it is supposed to be busy here.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 201, Aristophanes wrote:Is nobody is modding and nobody is playing, what even is this site for?
Moaning about the site.
Trans rights are human rights.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 am

Post by brassherald »

Hey, mods can only mod one game at a time. I am modding my one game, and towards the end of the currently running game I'll start the design process on my next game so that it's a smooth transition.

But, yeah, we have a shortage in really every queue now, it's kind of sad.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:04 am

Post by Psyche »

there doesn't have to be a mod shortage; automated modding is not very far off codingwise
but if there's a player shortage, then there isn't a mod shortage
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:18 am

Post by Alisae »

SUPP is the only reason why this site is still alive and why people care about tbh.
That and the fond memories they had when they first joined 6-10 years ago
GTKAS
| here.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:44 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 203, brassherald wrote:Hey, mods can only mod one game at a time. I am modding my one game, and towards the end of the currently running game I'll start the design process on my next game so that it's a smooth transition.

this only applies for the mini themed and normal queues. by wording my understanding is that you can also have 2 micros, and a large themed at the same time as that.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:49 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 206, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 203, brassherald wrote:Hey, mods can only mod one game at a time. I am modding my one game, and towards the end of the currently running game I'll start the design process on my next game so that it's a smooth transition.

this only applies for the mini themed and normal queues. by wording my understanding is that you can also have 2 micros, and a large themed at the same time as that.
Oh, poo, I did not know that.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:58 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 205, Alisae wrote:SUPP is the only reason why this site is still alive and why people care about tbh.
That and the fond memories they had when they first joined 6-10 years ago
tell me more ab ur crazy good insights into ppls brains w/out even rlly knowin them
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:59 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i too luv to project my personal experiences onto others :3
green shirt thursdays
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 am

Post by Pine »

I feel the need to express that I have no problem with the site or the way queues are run.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:29 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 209, xRECKONERx wrote:i too luv to project my personal experiences onto others :3
Is Alisae younger u?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am

Post by chamber »

In post 210, Pine wrote:I feel the need to express that I have no problem with the site or the way queues are run.
I don't either really. I think nearly everyone would find they are here because they are fine with the way things are. If they weren't they'd leave. But that is a dangerous mind set, it leads to stagnation. Could you honestly make 0 improvements if given infinite power?
Taking a break from the site.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:58 am

Post by Pine »

Sure, there's some things I'd change. I imagine everyone has some things they'd do if given unlimited power. But the queues are fine. Sometimes they could be a bit more responsive, but they're staffed by volunteers from the userbase, and I am disinclined to hassle them for it.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 196, mastina wrote:
In post 195, brassherald wrote:I'll role PM standardize right here:

Welcome [Name] you are a [role] look up what you can do on the wiki and start playing already.
This is why when, as often as I'm able to, my role PM formatting will feature a link to a role.
E.g.
Mafia
Rolecop
Town
Cop
Alignment
Role

I can't always give it because sometimes I modify roles (if a role is sufficiently modified, linking to the wiki of the role may be misleading), sometimes there's no wiki for it, sometimes the wiki for it doesn't match even remotely the role I'm using because
the wiki
is out of date (this will soon be fixed tho), and on some very rare occasions, sometimes I simply wasn't aware that the role I was using actually had a wiki page and thought for sure it did not. But whenever I can, I do.
Yeah I did this following my Earthbound game because there was a few people confused about how their role worked and I figured it was the best way to fix the problem.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:41 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 200, Nexus wrote:I failed to respond to Mathdino, and a couple of others, but equally when I brought people to the NRG to agree with me, I got resistance and push back. Maybe I should have been more firm, but I was trying to not piss off the reviewers we had.
The thing I dislike about this is that you took people in to agree with you. You should take people who know what they're doing, not have a particular stance.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:42 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Um no? You can mod one mini-sized game at a time. I don't know why that's the only queue regulated that way but that's the deal. You can mod at least two micros iirc, and I think you can mod a newbie on top of that. So like, 4-5 games you can mod at a time (might be hard to handle but hey this is theoreticals)
<Embrace The Void>

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 215, Gamma Emerald wrote:The thing I dislike about this is that you took people in to agree with you. You should take people who know what they're doing, not have a particular stance.
The thing is most of the people that know what they're doing--rather than just thinking they know what they're doing when they really, definitively don't--just so happen to agree on the majority of topics on a broader scale.

Yeah, there's a whole lot of disagreement on particulars. Yeah, there's discussion, debate, and alternative opinions on metrics and whatnot. Yeah, even on major things there are the occasional outliers. But
by and large
, on most topics, most of the people that are competent reviewers have more or less similar understandings on.

Also, the listmod in particular is in certain situations the one whose stances I'd say differ the largest from that of other reviewers. (This doesn't come up very often, but it comes up a LOT when there is a
major
change to the NRG. The latest being the complete rehaul of the system. There were a number of listmod-proposed ideas which NRG members near-universally shot down.)

So in that regard, the listmod is tremendously successful in recruiting people that disagree with them. So much so, that when there's disagreement with the listmod, it is almost universal among the members of the NRG. Admittedly, yeah. Doesn't happen that often. (It only happens with said big changes.) But it's a thing, a thing which is notably
there
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Post by shortaru »

If completely automating queue lists is a huge job that will take a while (as I suspect it is), what about making a "mini-Listbot" that does the duties other members are suggesting for assistants to handle?

Reason being, automating mundane tasks once would provide a permanent benefit to the site and free up the duties of a tedious position, whereas (suitable) volunteers come and go.
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Post by Psyche »

Yeah I have a codebase started for doing that. Can introduce you to the project if you know Python and would like to start contributing.
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Post by shortaru »

Unfortunately, my experience with web scripting is limited to bug testing, brainstorming, and providing end-user technical support.

The most I've done with the code itself is minor syntax editing in PHP & MySQL queries, and that was roughly a decade ago.

I'm willing to do whatever I'm capable of within those limitations if it'll help, however.
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Post by Psyche »

might be worth talking through anyway. ill throw you a pm when im free.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:25 pm

Post by yessiree »

hell yeah it's time for donbot to shine
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 am

Post by brassherald »

Not to necro this old thread, but I think there might be a problem over in the Open Queue. There is a backlog of about 5 or 6 mods who have inned, and there is currently no game in sign ups.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:47 am

Post by T-Bone »

There are currently two games in sign-ups, brass.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

Return to “Mafia Discussion”