Can meta be used as a defense?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
fdas
fdas
Watcher
fdas
Watcher
Watcher

Can meta be used as a defense?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Post by fdas »

So lets say in a game, a player claims that I am scummy because of something I did. Then I point out that in a previous game, I was accused of the exact same thing and in that game I was town. Is that a valid defense because it shows that the particular action is something that I do even when I am town?
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Post by Wisdom »

Yes. Being scumread for aspects of your playstyle or personality is common and it's fine if you show that's the case to people who aren't familiar with you. Careful not to go into Trust tell territory though.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I normally use meta
only
as a defence (i.e. "this would be a scumtell from most people, but isn't from person X").

However, I don't believe self-meta is valid for anything. Meta normally only works on people who aren't aware with it, so someone making a meta argument on themselves is pretty much intrinsicially invalidating their own argument. (As Wisdom's mention of trust tells is suggesting: if you're aware that there's something you do that indicates you're a particular alignment, and yet you
don't
do the "townish version" of it as scum, you're effectively not playing to win. So the only valid self-meta would be something that you're physically incapable of faking as scum despite being easily able to do it as town, and I find it very hard to see that situation arising.)

The specific example in the OP seems more like a meta-meta tell to me, though (which is something I've been meaning to write about: if someone's meta describes the way they in particular act, their meta-meta describes the way that other people act towards them in particular). Knowing your own meta-meta is very useful and one of the tools that's been more useful for me in catching scum. I haven't seen it used as a defence before, but there's no obvious reason why "people who say X about me are usually wrong" is necessarily an invalid statement, nor necessarily anything that the person being spoken about has any influence on.
Last edited by callforjudgement on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:09 am

Post by Ankamius »

If you're arguing for something being null, it's reasonable.
fdas
fdas
Watcher
fdas
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:32 am

Post by fdas »

In post 2, callforjudgement wrote:I normally use meta
only
as a defence (i.e. "this would be a scumtell from most people, but isn't from person X").

However, I don't believe self-meta is valid for anything. Meta normally only works on people who aren't aware with it, so someone making a meta argument on themselves is pretty much intrinsicially invalidating their own argument. (As Wisdom's mention of trust tells is suggesting: if you're aware that there's something you do that indicates you're a particular alignment, and yet you
don't
do the "townish version" of it as scum, you're effectively not playing to win. So the only valid self-meta would be something that you're physically incapable of faking as scum despite being easily able to do it as town, and I find it very hard to see that situation arising.)

The specific example in the OP seems more like a meta-meta tell to me, though (which is something I've been meaning to write about: if someone's meta describes the way they in particular act, their meta-meta describes the way that other people act towards them in particular). Knowing your own meta-meta is very useful and one of the tools that's been more useful for me in catching scum. I haven't seen it used as a defence before, but there's no obvious reason why "people who say X about me are usually wrong" is necessarily an invalid statement, nor necessarily anything that the person being spoken about has any influence on.
Self meta can be used in the case of a defense but not when you are trying to say you are towny. If you are trying to say that you are towny because of it then there is incentive to fake it. But if all you are doing is defending yourself then all you are doing is saying that it is not scummy which is perfectly fine.

The example I gave can be summed up like this:
Redacted #1: You are scummy because you did X
Redacted #5: You guys went after me for that exact thing in another game and it didn't work then.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 am

Post by Creature »

In post 2, callforjudgement wrote:if you're aware that there's something you do that indicates you're a particular alignment, and yet you don't do the "townish version" of it as scum, you're effectively not playing to win.
though, the "townish version" might still be pretty different from the actual town version.
Sigh
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Post by Alisae »

My name is Creature
GTKAS
| here.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

I never trust any meta read that I didn't build myself.
fdas
fdas
Watcher
fdas
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:52 am

Post by fdas »

In post 7, Haschel Cedricson wrote:I never trust any meta read that I didn't build myself.
The purpose here isn't to actually read someone based on meta. The example I gave was not using meta to claim that someone was either town or scum.

However, meta can be used to show why a particular argument is invalid. For example, someone says that you are scum because you were wishy washy. You then point to multiple games as town where you were accused of being wishy washy. Clearly their argument is ridiculous.
Yuurei
Yuurei
Goon
Yuurei
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Post by Yuurei »

I think so

and to be honest, asking someone to make a self meta speech maybe can turn out to be useful, I mean, if they say that they do X when it's Y just to say "I wouldn't do this as scum", they are simply lying and if you do the effort to meta dive them, you can simply point it out and maybe even outright catch scum.

Other people usually don't lie while making self meta cases though because they know that if they lie it'll be bad if they get caught, so you gain MOSTLY honest meta by the person themselves (although regardless of alignment they can still say things that aren't true for tactical purpose or not being able to fully self-recognize all the aspects of their own play)
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I sometimes do this
generally it's for some sort of lame generalistic argument anyway though, like "you're not posting """""content"""""."
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”