Anyone interested in modding a themed game w/premade roles?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Anyone interested in modding a themed game w/premade roles?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:34 am

Post by Newbie »

Details: 46 players, multiple factions ( 2 mafia teams, 1 town, and independents), based on the show Supernatural

I had prepared the roles for a game on another site, but it fell through. Truthfully, I'm probably not dedicated enough to mod a game of this size, but I would love to see how it plays out. Would anyone be interested?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:42 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Trying to recruit for a 46p game is hard enough as it goes.

Assuming you don't count Bad Idea variants (for which few players take the game seriously, and in which even the players who do frequently get eliminated in the first few minutes), there's only been one attempt I'm aware of to hold a game that large, a 50-player game which I personally feel was badly balanced. Bear in mind that even a 13-player game will usually take months, so a 46-player game would be expected to take years unless it had a number of mechanics in it specifically to make the game go faster.

You have lots of challenges with a game that large. One is getting the players for it (you'd need a significant portion of the site regulars to play). One is balancing it; people don't have much experience balancing games that size, so regardless of what the setup is, reasonable reviewers may disagree on whether the game is balanced enough to run (unless the setup is obviously unbalanced, then they'll all agree it isn't balanced enough to run :-P). In addition to balance, you have swing to take care of: if one faction can get a large advantage within the first few months, the remaining few years are going to be very unfun to play as the result will feel like a foregone conclusion – but you also don't want the start of the game to be entirely irrelevant because that's a balance issue in its own right. Another issue is simply managing the size of the thread – many players will be unable to keep up (one game I was in had over ten thousand posts in its thread, and that was with only 22 players). So you'd need to come up with some mechanic to help with that too. Of course, you'd also have problems finding replacements as people left the site, so you'd need to design the game to be able to handle that too.

I'd be incredibly sceptical of even a known, established mod claiming to have created a setup that size which would run and work out, so you shouldn't be surprised if nobody's willing to take you up on your offer.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

The only setup I've been in with like, 40+ players had 2 scum factions and two full killing roles beyond that, plus multiple individual kills. That's like the only way I see to make it not take forever unless you're doing a mash-style game, which probably wouldn't go well here.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”

Return to “Mafia Discussion”