Shorter deadlines question for the community

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Would you play a game with shorter deadlines (less than the two week average)?

Yes.
55%
No.
32%
Presently? Yes, I'd play a game with shorter deadlines, but not in the future.
5%
Presently? No, I wouldn't play a game with shorter deadlines, but definitely in the future.
2%
Maybe. Please comment!
6%
Other. Please comment!
2%

Total votes: 66

AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:12 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 24, Ircher wrote:I'm just going to note that non-response bias, especially from newbies and very old people (in terms of site experience, not age) is going to be a thing, and it is unlikely this poll will end up being representative.
Fair critique. I really didn't imagine that the poll would be a good representation of the site as a whole. :3
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:24 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

I think there are different newbies with different time preferences. I mean there are newbies in other communities who play 12 hour day games and they love it.

But in a nutshell, I think longer deadlines help newbies to understand the game better and I think with MS system that allows players to choose which queue they want to start playing from, the dedicated queue for newbies should host games that has at least a week-long day phases.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:24 am

Post by skitter30 »

i really don't like 24 hour nightphases because i have regular weekend v/la where i don't really have access for more than 24 hours at a time
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Mods can add extra time during weekends/special occasions

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I might be willing to play a game with deadlines shorter than 14 days.

I wouldn't be willing to play a game with deadlines
much
shorter than 14 days, though. The way that days can develop over time and give out more information over time is one of the key advantages of this site.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: With the Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of It's Ass

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:50 am

Post by Inferno390 »

See, I’m really comfortable with the game length right now.
And what everyone seeems to be forgetting in their attept to “cater to the next generation” is that they are really fricking with the meta of the established players of this site.
10 days I’m comfortable with. I’d prefer 11-12 just so we could give 2 day nights and have one game cycle go approximately 2 weeks.
But seven days seems really short. I can hardly imagine good town development happening within that frame.
Besides that, I find it really falling that the site is now falling to the low of changing site meta to try and convince newbies who may or may not stay anyways to keep playing.
Which is not to say that we shouldn’t at least try to make newbies feel welcome. But there’s no way we can reasonably give everyone exactly what they want, and focusing on the people who don’t have a commitment to the site while forcing the regulars to change to them is foolish. There’s a two way street here that both sides have to use. Newbies have to be willing to adapt to us as much as we have to be willing to adapt to them. Which is not what I’m seeing. What I’m seeing is “Oh, the newbies are complaining about the site, so we’re gonna make everyone else change to fit them.” Which is not healthy for the site at all.
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

Mafiascum Moderator Society
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 am

Post by chamber »

I think very few people have suggested that? I don't think anyone in a position of authority has.
Taking a break from the site.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:02 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

I really really think newbie games should have at least one-week long day phases personally. Players who prefer blitz are not "newbies". Blitz newbie games are a bad idea. Having shorter games is not about making newbies interested, It's about allowing a certain type of players who prefer shorter games and have free time to also use the platform. In other words, allowing a queue with shorter deadline games won't make players change to adapt, It will just allow the variety.

Also Blitz game is already allowed on MS. I was just saying as a way to increase this site player base - allowing blitz queue to exist might help a lot cause there are so many communities and mafia cultures that prefer shorter deadline games and such people will never play on ms because they know ms as a site that hosts 2 weeks, day phases games.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:04 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

I played at MS for 2 years more or less and played on other communities and heard people talking about MS there. If you want an outside view about why people avoid playing on MS, that's the first thing that one can hear from other mafia players out of MS.

ManateeDude
ManateeDude
Mafia Scum
ManateeDude
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 am

Post by ManateeDude »

120/48 or 72/24 is nice, 96/24 is unorthodox but also pcool
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:16 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I like the pressure of a deadline, I think it helps gameplay. On the other hand it's hard when someone goes V/LA with less time before deadline. I like 10-14 day deadlines, but I would probably play shorter games just as much
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 am

Post by Umlaut »

I agree with others that 10 feels about right. Though I'm increasingly fond of variable deadlines e.g. "[number of living players] days" that naturally lead to shorter days as the game cools off. I've never seen a lylo that actually needed 14 or even 7 days to sort out.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Post by Micc »

In post 30, Inferno390 wrote:See, I’m really comfortable with the game length right now.
And what everyone seeems to be forgetting in their attept to “cater to the next generation” is that they are really fricking with the meta of the established players of this site.
10 days I’m comfortable with. I’d prefer 11-12 just so we could give 2 day nights and have one game cycle go approximately 2 weeks.
But seven days seems really short. I can hardly imagine good town development happening within that frame.
Besides that, I find it really falling that the site is now falling to the low of changing site meta to try and convince newbies who may or may not stay anyways to keep playing.
Which is not to say that we shouldn’t at least try to make newbies feel welcome. But there’s no way we can reasonably give everyone exactly what they want, and focusing on the people who don’t have a commitment to the site while forcing the regulars to change to them is foolish. There’s a two way street here that both sides have to use. Newbies have to be willing to adapt to us as much as we have to be willing to adapt to them. Which is not what I’m seeing. What I’m seeing is “Oh, the newbies are complaining about the site, so we’re gonna make everyone else change to fit them.” Which is not healthy for the site at all.
Players and moderators are still welcome to run/sign up for games that follow their preferences outside of the Newbie Queue. But for the sake of consistency there is no variation in the Newbie Queue. The change to 10 days for Day 1 and 7 for other day phases is a compromise between players who want deadlines at 4-7 days and players who want them at 14 days. The site isn't going to grow by catering to just one side or the other. In fact there's about 6 years worth of evidence showing that catering only to 14 day deadline players is a road to decline.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Post by chamber »

To be fair, for most of those 6 years it was actually 3 week day 1's.
chitownmvp01
chitownmvp01
Townie
chitownmvp01
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 pm

Post by chitownmvp01 »

I won't play anything that has deadlines longer than 5 days. Games on my home site (TOS) would be a drag if day phases were longer than 5 days. 72/24 has become much more popular recently as well.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Uh... you guys do know that you
are
allowed to run ultrashort game phases here, right?
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

The difficulty is trying to find a moderator who has enough time, I think.

I can see the demand, but am unlikely to run a short-phase game simply because I doubt I could do things like flips and vote counts quickly enough to make a game going at that sort of speed playable.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 40, FakeGod wrote:Uh... you guys do know that you
are
High demand for them but no supply
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:59 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 42, Alisae wrote:
In post 40, FakeGod wrote:Uh... you guys do know that you
are
High demand for them but no supply
A follow up
Like, I look at this (and a lot of posts of this nature) and think those posters who are posting this have no idea whats going on on the site for the past year.
So because they’re so stuck in the fucking past they think “oh well someone can run them.”
A. But no one is offering it, and if they are offering it, its once in a blue moon, not a consistent offer.
B. The people who are asking for shorter deadlines are not people who want to mod shorter deadlines, they are people who want to play shorter deadlines. They are players. They want to play. They are most likely new to the community as well so they don’t know who to ask to mod shorter deadline games.

Like FG, if I asked you to mod a game with shorter deadlines would you do it?
I really don’t think you would but prove me wrong.
And if I asked Hito, mastina, or V to do it, they would probably tell me no as well.

Like please stop using this shitty excuse to not adapt to change.
Can you run these games with shorter deadlines?
Yes you can sure. You can say you can do something as much as you fucking want.
Is anyone going to actually do so?
Fuck no.
GTKAS
| here.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:13 am

Post by chamber »

In what way is that post helpful?
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:23 am

Post by Alisae »

I like to think my A and B points were helpful but I’m venting because I hate the fact it feels like the same people keep on posting “You want short deadlines, go run them yourself. Otherwise go play somewhere else”

Like, am I fucked up in the head, or does MS belong to a bunch of dinosaurs that want the site to die? Asking for a friend.
I’m personally leaning towards me being fucked up in the head (because I have my own issues), but a friend wants to know.
GTKAS
| here.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:26 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

The players who want to play games with shorter deadlines
probably
have a significant newbie - as in new to the site, not new to the game necessarily - population inside of it. Related to the newness and supplying that mod demand for shorter deadlines, I have this to say:

Maybe the players who want shorter deadlines
can't
be mods because they're new to the site and one of the requirements to mod your first time game is be a site member for three months. The other is to run your first time game (unless you have off-site experience) in either the Open Queue or the Normal Queue - the first you could probably mod a game with shorter deadlines and maybe the second, but I'm currently unaware if Normal Games have to have the two week day phase deadline.

Obviously if "newbies" join the site with the expectation of shorter deadlines, but no one's offering, they might've been inclined to mod one, but discovered that they couldn't because they're "too young" (aka their account's age).
Talk Fast, Think Faster

Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:33 am

Post by Alisae »

Also another point.
I’m not 100% sure on this, but I feel like its silently agreed that normals and opens have to have long deadlines.
This could potentially make the hurdle of modding new games for newbies who don’t want to mod games that long extremely difficult?

Unless PP or Implo say they’re ok with blitz deadline games in their queues, then ok maybe thats a bit more friendly to newer mods.
GTKAS
| here.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:38 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

To new players to the site who would like games with shorter deadlines:

Since there seems to be a demand but no supply for GwSD (games with shorter deadlines), would you yourselves mod with shorter deadlines?
Talk Fast, Think Faster

FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 am

Post by FakeGod »

I assure you I haven't been posting “You want short deadlines, go run them yourself. Otherwise go play somewhere else”, Alisae.

I mean I could run shorter phased games, and maybe they will attract a bunch of players who enjoy shorter phases to the site... but why should I?

Shorter phased games are something I enjoy once in a blue moon, not all the time.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”