Page 1 of 1

Mafia Scum Championship games

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:22 pm
by Frozen Angel
So there was this topic on Site chat about Mafia scum great annual events and that it would be awesome if we had 1 or 2 more annual events like Scummies and Supp. So I mentioned a championship sort of game.

The difference between a championship series and something like Scummies is like the difference between league games and championship games in football. Scummies is a democratic - great yearly event based on all the games but the championship will be a series of games in setting (like the way world cup is) - with a bit of randomness (who rands in which game against who and with what alignment).

My proposal for an event like this is a basic 2 stage tournament:

1- A series of games with one basic setup will happen. everyone will play exactly one game. Players will vote for the best 2 players of the game. The player with most vote will advance to the final game. the other player will become a jury or will participate in another game to have a second chance for advancing (this depends on the number of participants)

2- The final game (the championship) will happen. The jury will be able to talk during the game and afterward. The jury will have an extra vote or the veto. Players will be able to vote as well.

This is just the basic idea I said in the site chat everything else can be determined if something like this is going to happen :]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:10 pm
by Invisibility
don't we already have team mafia?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:28 pm
by Gamma Emerald
In post 1, Invisibility wrote:don't we already have team mafia?

Yeah this is what I was thinking
Might read the whole OP because I might have a certain response if something specific is brought up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 am
by Frozen Angel
what I suggested is not like team mafia. team mafia is an entirely different sort of event because it's like a series of game that happen at the same time and people who will share their team result.

what I suggested is more like a supp but for mafia games (people play - best will be chosen and this happens again till one is champion).

I suggested this in site chat in response to people saying we need more global events like team mafia and marathon weekends :D

I know other mafia communities that have a sort of championship and it's working perfectly fine and there is so much interest to such a thing there

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 pm
by Gamma Emerald
idk what I find the most interesting about MU's championship (because that's very likely what this is inspired by) is the communities it pulls from, which it can sport because it has that feature of showing the community a person is from. Here we don't have that (at least not yet).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:05 pm
by TehBrawlGuy
In post 0, Frozen Angel wrote:
1- A series of games with one basic setup will happen. everyone will play exactly one game. Players will vote for the best 2 players of the game. The player with most vote will advance to the final game. the other player will become a jury or will participate in another game to have a second chance for advancing (this depends on the number of participants)


We really ought to have more players advance. If you're VT, for example, optimal play is to get yourself killed N1, but playing a strong D1 probably isn't enough for most people to give you a top-2 spot. I worry that having few players progress would warp the game such that playing to the game's wincon, and playing to winning the championship might end up being too different.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:01 pm
by Frozen Angel
yeah sure

we can also make sure each player is playing 2 games before being voted for advance or something like that

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 pm
by Frozen Angel
In post 4, Gamma Emerald wrote:idk what I find the most interesting about MU's championship (because that's very likely what this is inspired by) is the communities it pulls from, which it can sport because it has that feature of showing the community a person is from. Here we don't have that (at least not yet).


Well! mafia scum is a very very large community and the championship is a player award not a community award even in mu. the community representation thing is just a system for filling it up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:28 pm
by Gamma Emerald
In post 5, TehBrawlGuy wrote:We really ought to have more players advance. If you're VT, for example, optimal play is to get yourself killed N1, but playing a strong D1 probably isn't enough for most people to give you a top-2 spot. I worry that having few players progress would warp the game such that playing to the game's wincon, and playing to winning the championship might end up being too different.

this is a good point, it's been brought up in MU's championships as well

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 pm
by hitogoroshi
Shameless self plug, but Scumhunter's Speed 8p was actually explicitly designed to be a setup for a "tournament" type setting where you run it a lot of times in succession to try to get meaningful stats. Although my use case was a little different (not "find the best player" but "find out whether meaningful scumhunting actually exists"), it has basically the same design constraints of no PRs, short games, and hyper meaningful D1's to ensure that everyone has a chance to strongly contribute to the final result.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 am
by MathBlade
In post 3, Frozen Angel wrote:what I suggested is not like team mafia. team mafia is an entirely different sort of event because it's like a series of game that happen at the same time and people who will share their team result.

what I suggested is more like a supp but for mafia games (people play - best will be chosen and this happens again till one is champion).

I suggested this in site chat in response to people saying we need more global events like team mafia and marathon weekends :D

I know other mafia communities that have a sort of championship and it's working perfectly fine and there is so much interest to such a thing there


I am kind of against this tbh.

Last time I modded team mafia the amount of flack I got from town for being too lenient on some things and scum yelling for others was outside my control. I think that something has to be put in place to avoid what happened with team mafia again if we consider this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:50 am
by Frozen Angel
Well surely there can be rules that disqualifies people from advancing further if they appear to be rude/etc

also if its based on players votes then rude people won't have any chance for advancing so that should also impact this