Do townslips exist?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Invisibility
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:30 pm

i've seen people call not understanding the setup a townslip but like that doesnt make sense

what are you guyses thoughts
"invisibility is actually braindead" -- RadiantCowbells

dont play with me if you're on my blacklist (on my wiki page)

Raskolnikov
disclaimer: unqualified

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Everything is probability there is no 100% but some things are far far more likely to come from town than scum, to speak specifically would have to have context, personally don't remember examples off the top of my head right now.
slightly deranged
"How did this game end in 5 pages"

Ankamius
Sheeping the Scum PT

Pronoun: She

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:07 pm

I don't think they exist, no

The closest thing is if someone's actions, if scum, would guarantee them a loss when otherwise they would have a good shot at winning
"That VCA is the second worst thing itt so far (the worst being the outcomes anka came to from it)" -the worst
"If Ank is scum, she's some ungodly abomination that's a hybrid of C.Shep's weird busses and the worst's nonstop redirection." -Krazy
"Why should I be listening to you, even if you're town everything you say reads to me like you come from another planet" -Elbirn

Fromage
Goon

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:46 pm

I think they exist but can be faked (at least in theory)

schadd_
Smooth Operator
Smooth Operator

Location: it is only from within that one can truly digest hammed burger frenchfries

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:01 pm

i think they are like 300% more common and valid in a faster game where everybody is thinking less per post
join my mini theme --- mystery box of silver 3!! --- bet about the outcomes of political phenomena --- i have a large normal in signups also, as well. coughht
todays featured user: Papa Zito

better things are always possible

Nancy Drew 39
jestery goodness

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 am

Whenever I’ve done it, I got the response, “derp clear not allowed” or words to that effect. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a game, where I haven’t derped about something or other. :lol:

Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

(I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~ the worst

Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:24 am

In post 0, Invisibility wrote:i've seen people call not understanding the setup a townslip but like that doesnt make sense

Context is everything.

viewtopic.php?p=2021398#p2021398

I used this post and what followed to determine that post came from town. It just seemed much harder to read through everything in the other direction. (That the whole thing was a scum ploy.) It's probably worth going just short of calling any 'townslip' 100% accurate but I've found them to be pretty useful. (If you rate this towntell at 90-95% it's a very strong townread) Just keep in mind that true slips are rare. Gotta be careful not to interpret trivial mistypings as scum or town slips.

Alchemist21
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:57 pm

In post 0, Invisibility wrote:i've seen people call not understanding the setup a townslip but like that doesnt make sense

Do people still think this?

This was something I would see in 2014 and even then only a few thought "Townslip" as opposed to everyone else understanding it was just someone not reading.
Press Image to pay respects.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:10 am

I'd think a town slip would happen less often than scumslips since town hide less that scum
Get to know an Emerald! Stop by sometime, would you kindly? ♪
It is I, Himiko Yumeno, from the Dirt Gun Run Puss! Nah it's just Delthea! Hi there! (Avatar credit goes to Illumina25 on reddit!)
i would unironically put mafia loyal vigs in games for the record - Acidphoenix

RedFlavor
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:40 am

In post 3, Fromage wrote:I think they exist but can be faked (at least in theory)

I think same
Would you?

Nancy Drew 39
jestery goodness

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:59 pm

I was in a game, where the last remaining mafia didn’t know who the mod confirmed IC replacement was and another didn’t realize that the there was an SK in the game, despite being clearly mentioned in both the sign up thread and on page 1 of the setup.

Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

(I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~ the worst

callforjudgement
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:54 am

I've read players as town due to not understanding the setup, but only because it explained what was going on elsewhen in the game. (In particular, the actions of the player in question seemed completely insane/counterproductive as scum who only had a partial understanding of the setup, as a deep understanding of the setup would have been necessary to understand how they could have been beneficial to scum. It was much more likely that the player in question was just town.)
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

Nibbui
Goon

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:18 pm

I think it is up to what kind of town "slip".

It needs to be something that makes sense coming from a town pov but very hard to even think about faking it from a scum pov.

if it is something silly like a single and easily fakeable setup mistake, I think it is not worth thinking if it is a genuine slip or not.

At least that is my opinion...

[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion