The Use of [redacted] in Games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

The Use of [redacted] in Games

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:23 pm

Post by shortaru »

Example

This post and ones like it where the player is obviously using "illegal" content (by not only relying on information in ongoing games, but telling other players they are doing so in an effort to persuade them) doesn't seem like legitimate play, to me.

Does this kind of behavior not violate the spirit of site rules 2&3?

Ongoing game content should not be allowed for meta purposes in other games, even if the player being researched has had their alignment confirmed.
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum
Jenga
Jenga
Townie
Jenga
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Post by Jenga »

I think the post quoted is a bigger violation of the rules for sentences that aren't awful to read
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:39 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I don't object to the use of [redacted], but I do agree that sometimes it's used to leniently

For examples, if I were to want to say "I townread this person because their activity and gamesolving match a game they just got nightkilled in as town"
And I said "I townread this person because their activity and gamesolving match [redacted]" - I would find this to be bending the rules unfairly for sure
Instead, I usually just say "[redacted]" in which case people know I have more thoughts and I might get to share them later but receive no hints as to what those thoughts are

I find most people are in between, and try to lean toward the latter, but sometimes accidentally do the former. I think the former should receive a warning from the mod or some such
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:50 am

Post by shortaru »

Yeah, that is fair.

What I object to is blatantly referring to an ongoing game under the mask of [redacted].

Strange != Scum
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:52 am

Post by Lycanfire »

Redactions should only be valid for secret alts or secret games. You should be willing to out the secret if a majority of people not in support of your viewpoint aren't in on it.

If you're referencing an ongoing, it's because there's a reason why you scumread somebody. Hammer that point through. If the other game happens to finish, it's now supplementary evidence.

There's no grey area. As for the content in the OP I think this is a case of secret alt.
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:57 am

Post by shortaru »

It's bringing in an outside influence which cannot be independently examined or debated.

Strange != Scum
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 am

Post by profii »

I wanted to town read someone because of something they did in an ongoing game where we had both flipped

i checked with the mod because me talking about a flipped players behaviour has absolutely no consequence on that game as i had also flipped

but was told not to do it

i wouldnt even have thought to have said [redacted] to try and bend the rule - pretty lame i think
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:06 am

Post by shortaru »

Yet it happens.

A lot.

Strange != Scum
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:16 am

Post by callforjudgement »

People using [redacted] as a way to refer to ongoing games was very common at one point, and became a fairly large problem. One of the reasons our current ongoing game rules are so strict is in an attempt to stop it.

About the only thing you can do if you have a read based on an ongoing game is to not specify the reason at all, and look for reasons for the same read in your own game and give those instead.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:03 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

It really shouldn't be that hard to case someone outside of meta from an ongoing game if they're scum
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Post by Micc »

The listmod team spent some time talking about this behind the scenes and here's where we stand:

You're allowed to play in multiple games at once and read games you're not playing in. You're allowed to use what you read in one game to inform your play in another game. You're allowed to say that you are using another ongoing game to inform your play. What you're not allowed to do is break the discussion of ongoing game rules. This means you cannot reference specific details about the other ongoing game.

If a player is using [redacted] or a similar phrase in a way that is meant to imply specific details to the reader with out actually mentioning them that's still a violation of the ongoing games rules. We'd prefer that players just say they can't discuss something "because of ongoing games" rather than write out a sentence and substitute [redacted]. The former is much less likely to imply specific details to the reader than the latter.
I think Micc is town but I can't explain why because of ongoing games.
This is acceptable because no details about the other game are mentioned or implied.
I think Micc is town because his play here is similar to an ongoing game where he was town.
This is not acceptable because it mentions specific details about an ongoing game (that Micc was town).
I think Micc is town because [redacted] is similar to [redacted].
This is not acceptable because it implies specific things to the reader about the ongoing game (that they should look for things that are similar).
I think Micc is town because his play here is similar to something I can't talk about.
This is not acceptable because it implies specific things to the reader about the ongoing game (that they should look for things that are similar).
I think Micc is town because [redacted].
This is acceptable because no details about another game are mentioned or implied.

As always, feel free to send one of us a PM if you have questions or would like further clarification.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 am

Post by Lycanfire »

I'm just shocked that House had a Grey area secret alt

freehouse

Return to “Mafia Discussion”