Good Liar Detecting Tool

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Good Liar Detecting Tool

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Okay I kind of want to talk about a tool I have really thought about that I don't use in mafia, but I think would be an amazing tool if I could figure out a way to port it over from RL and use it in the forum setting to improve results in reading players and sorting out liars.

A lot of people probably know of the FBI technique of asking someone to tell the story of events backwards. Those who don't know about it, it basically breaks the flow of the story to see how truthful it is because a person who is lying has a harder time recalling the story forward and backwards as they do with forward because they only know the fabrication from beginning to end, not the reverse. (theres also the fact truthful people often will remember more specific things if you ask them that won't be contradictory to the story itself and liars who do add details will contradict themselves in their statements)

The problem I see with porting this to a mafia setting is just the format of the posts and trying to get someone to tell the story backward it is easier for them to do so because their posts are there they can easily see it and be able to recall and make a good connection to it, they might still not make it perfect if I ask specific questions to certain flows of posts but I think the story they tell won't be as blatantly showcase them lying as if I was face to face with them and I tell them to start at the end and go back to the beginning.

Does anyone have thoughts on ways to make good questions to ask someone in order to make this a good form of questioning/inquiry to make it as good of a tool as it is in real life?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 am

Post by Psyche »

how about we make this thread the place to discuss all kinds of useful findings re: lie detection
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:04 am

Post by Firebringer »

Got any other liar detection tools you want to talk about?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 am

Post by Taly »

This is definitely for face-to-face conversation, but if:
1) Someone's knees are moved away from you (and they can help it)
2) They are not looking you in your eye (same condition as above)
3) Are deliberately muffling their speech ("")
4) Someone has a serious conversation with sunglasses on
5) Shielding their neck in some form, like with their chin

They are very likely to being lying, or are guarding an subject, object, or emotion.

But for mafia, I think this translates more into how inconsistent someone's posts are. If someone's tune within the game changes dramatically within a short period of time, I believe it more often than not, warrants suspicion.

Granted, any other example I can see this translating into mafia is subject to playstyle...
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage

Return to “Mafia Discussion”