"Don't look too town as scum"

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

"Don't look too town as scum"

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

The saying goes that if you look too town as scum you'll get lynched in lylo for still being alive.

Except, I don't think I've ever seen scum snow a town and then lose the game in lylo over it.

So, does this actually happen?
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 0, Flubbernugget wrote:The saying goes that if you look too town as scum you'll get lynched in lylo for still being alive.

Except, I don't think I've ever seen scum snow a town and then lose the game in lylo over it.

To me quite often. But I generally work out of it. Not always
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 0, Flubbernugget wrote:The saying goes that if you look too town as scum you'll get lynched in lylo for still being alive. Except, I don't think I've ever seen scum snow a town and then lose the game in lylo over it. So, does this actually happen?
The only reason to not look too town as scum is because the headache it'll give you in all future games.

For instance.

Because I've done literally everything as scum, there's nothing I can't do as scum, meaning anything I could do I could be doing as scum--meaning, regardless of it being a towngame or scumgame. People are suspicious of me because of what I did in that past scumgame where I did that town-looking thing.

Which, honestly, is a silly reason. You should always be playing to win your current game, not your future games, so do your utmost for your current game even if it means towning it up as scum and facing the fallout postgame.

So while there's technically reasons that not being too town as scum could be of use in theory, in practice, if you manage to look town as scum? Good for you! You're doing what you're supposed to be doing.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Post by the worst »

I think there's merit in checking yourself (don't be like the only person holding the torch if the rest of the game is dead as fuck) but you can ALWAYS outplay still being alive in LyLo

I think I err on the side of criticism of this advice too, Flubber

also I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is to always lynch mastina as soon as possible....
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:37 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

You can always reinvent yourself as scum and you always need to be doing stuff that people won't point to recent scum experiences and be like HEY HE DID THAT AS SCUM.

That said I went undefeated as scum in 2018 while only actually trying in one game and pretty much just lurking the rest of them so you can get away with that even.

Rolling scum is like pressing the easy button
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

I don't see how a scum can look too town. If your behavior resembles that of a townie, regardless of alignment, clearly that's a sign of good play.

There's a better case to make to not look too town if you have a Town power role seeing as you're not trying to gain the attention of scums for a night kill.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:21 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 3, the worst wrote:I think there's merit in checking yourself
I believe you meant to continue with "before wrecking yourself."
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 am

Post by Creature »

tbh players get paranoid regardless and sometimes you survive as obvtown because you're prone to paranoia anyway
Sigh
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 5, Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:There's a better case to make to not look too town if you have a Town power role seeing as you're not trying to gain the attention of scums for a night kill.
Yeah that's a terrible idea. If you try to avoid looking town, there's no favorable outcome. If vts look town and PRS don't, scum can find the PRS. If you practice this, it becomes easy for scum to spot PR you. And then the obvious: if you don't look town in a game where the vts (and probably scum, too) look town, who do you think that they're going to lynch?
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 5, Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:I don't see how a scum can look too town. If your behavior resembles that of a townie, regardless of alignment, clearly that's a sign of good play.

There's a better case to make to not look too town if you have a Town power role seeing as you're not trying to gain the attention of scums for a night kill.
To an extent it's nice to be kinda nulltown as a town power role. But then you get into a situation where perceptive scum are like "...why is this townie fpsing" and end up just shooting you.

I'd actually argue it's better to be meh-townie only really as a VT who feels that they're playing badly; if you can draw an ill motivated wagon and force people to play their hand to lynch you, you're up. and if you can obvtown under pressure that's cool. and if you look FPSy and eat a night kill to protect power roles + other strong town, that is all gains.
In post 6, brassherald wrote:
In post 3, the worst wrote:I think there's merit in checking yourself
I believe you meant to continue with "before wrecking yourself."

Nobody else makes me laugh at work so consistently. :lol:
--
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Post by the worst »

this thread reminds me of tchill13's signature
--
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:45 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

Just be like me or Bambi and play to your own self-alignment. Worked wonders for me so far.
I made a GTKAS. Go shitpost in it if you want. It's very lonely.

"Even when I leave mafia and play an entirely different game I can't escape you you menace." - North/Wenya
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Post by the worst »

"Always
Don't
look too
town as
scum"
--
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I know how to play vt and scum, it’s playing PRs that wreck me. :/
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:07 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

It’s worth noting the obvious, that most mislynches happen because of town looking too much like scum, which usually means they’re town lhf.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

I think I once got lynched for looking too Town as scum, but iirc it was also a smaller point in a list of other reasons.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Many people have 0 clue what is alignment-indicative or alignment-relevant, which means that most tells are basically =rand

I'd say that "looking town" in a lot of peoples' minds is a function of consistent engagement, making sense, and sounding like an intelligent human being.

None of those things are actually towntells, of course, and in terms of many peoples' metas, are explicit scumtells.

TLDR: if you want to avoid "looking too town" just make shittier-looking posts. Problem solved :P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Post by PokerFace »

People usually vote the scumiest before they vote the towniest. As long as all living players are not more town than you, you should be fine faking town as scum. The only time being too town as scum is bad is if you give town too much help. For example...

You are heading toward a prisoners dilemma. The right play is for town to force scum to kill each other. You are scum. For some reason you tell the town the ideal play

Telling the enemy the ideal play when the ideal play is too good, is a bad time to be too town as scum. There's a reason I got the title too useful...
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Ironically there was a face to face game I played at a convention once where the runner of the panel, myself, and another player were alive in lylo. I had played the game before a lot and obviously the runner of the panel had done the same. We had far more game experience than the final player. The runner of the panel looked at me and asked "Why am I alive right now?" I responded "That's... a good question". The runner then said "If you were mafia, you would have killed me." I came to the same conclusion about him. Since we were both town, we immediately voted the inexperienced player who was indeed mafia. As long as there are scummier players, faking town works. Be careful to keep the scummier players alive, and don't given them enough advice so that they become more town than you
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 16, mhsmith0 wrote:I'd say that "looking town" in a lot of peoples' minds is a function of consistent engagement, making sense, and sounding like an intelligent human being.

None of those things are actually towntells, of course, and in terms of many peoples' metas, are explicit scumtells.
note to self: don't roll scum against mhsmith0
he's already onto you
--
Yuchou
Yuchou
Townie
Yuchou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Post by Yuchou »

I think there is a need to exactly describe how *too town* we're talking about.

It's fine and good play to get townread as scum, however as the game goes on, if a player was so townread that no one even dared to question his alignment anymore (like, townlocked), and others players that were less townread or even scumread are getting nightkilled, I believe being *too town* as scum is going to backfire.

Everyone not tunneling someone for being a bit erractic will end up looking at you and questioning "so...hmmm, why aren't you dead bro?".

Sure, there's some excuses, like the player in question not being a "threat" to scum, but that only works if the already nightkilled guys were being a "threat" (had presence) or had very different read lists than you.

There are times that someone very town read gets to LyLo even though they are town, so if you're scum you can try to write it off as WIFOM as well, but it's kind of rare and...

I mean, it's
very
suspicious for someone being town read so strongly and early to get to LyLo. You can end up getting lynched only for that reason.

Being town read but not
so much
town read is the best place for scum I would say. Hard to get there though, since it's already a challenge to sound town anyway.

However...I don't think anyone should worry about being too town read as scum, you'll probably end up doing one or two scummy things at minimum.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 17, PokerFace wrote:People usually vote the scumiest before they vote the towniest. As long as all living players are not more town than you, you should be fine faking town as scum. The only time being too town as scum is bad is if you give town too much help. For example...

You are heading toward a prisoners dilemma. The right play is for town to force scum to kill each other. You are scum. For some reason you tell the town the ideal play

Telling the enemy the ideal play when the ideal play is too good, is a bad time to be too town as scum. There's a reason I got the title too useful...
I think it’s a difficult thing for scum to manage - posting like they would as town - with a townie mindset and not play against their wincon. Only the best and most experienced players, have figured out how to correctly navigate this fine line. For most players however, it is beyond their scumrange to be able to successfully pull that off.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 19, the worst wrote:
In post 16, mhsmith0 wrote:I'd say that "looking town" in a lot of peoples' minds is a function of consistent engagement, making sense, and sounding like an intelligent human being.

note to self: don't roll scum against mhsmith0
he's already onto you
:lol:

It kind of blows my mind, when scum thinks they can get away with nonsensical WIFOM - most can’t and many horribly over-estimate their ability to successfully pull that off.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 0, Flubbernugget wrote:The saying goes that if you look too town as scum you'll get lynched in lylo for still being alive.

Not really.

In general, the reasoning is that scum don't target the towniest player for a NK, because that's the player who's most likely to be protected.

That doesn't work in open setups that don't have protectives. Still, I can't recall seeing it happen.

If I'm an investigative and a super townie person is still alive D3, I'm checking them N3.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:59 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 4, RadiantCowbells wrote:You can always reinvent yourself as scum and you always need to be doing stuff that people won't point to recent scum experiences and be like HEY HE DID THAT AS SCUM.

That said I went undefeated as scum in 2018 while only actually trying in one game and pretty much just lurking the rest of them so you can get away with that even.

Rolling scum is like pressing the easy button
It's easy to win as scum if you play scummy when town. People will look at meta, say
he always plays that way,
and let it go. And there seems to be a trend toward that.

People like that should be policy lynched, vigged, or investigated.

Unfortunately, towns have gotten away from those things. So, now game developers are making town-sided setups.

Really, towns should just go back to fundamentals, and those fundamentals should be taught in newbies.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”