"Don't look too town as scum"

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 am

Post by Persivul »

Consider this - "You can always reinvent yourself as scum and you always need to be doing stuff that people won't point to recent scum experiences and be like HEY HE DID THAT AS SCUM."

My point is that you can't just reinvent yourself AS SCUM. Anything you do that will make it harder for you to be read as scum, will necessarily also make it harder for you to be read as town. The two go hand in hand.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

lol

In the sense that your scum game being more advanced than it was before makes you harder to townread, sure, but don't delude yourself that any of this involves not playing to wincon as best as they can as town
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:03 am

Post by the worst »

I'm pretty sure that's closer to suggesting people should compromise scumgames in order to be easier to read..?
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:18 am

Yes that is what persivul is implying

In that case it's no wonder he couldn't win that micro, it wasn't that it was townsided it was that he was intentionally underplaying as scum to keep his town meta sancrosanct, which is notably essentially trust telling.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 0, Flubbernugget wrote:The saying goes that if you look too town as scum you'll get lynched in lylo for still being alive.

Except, I don't think I've ever seen scum snow a town and then lose the game in lylo over it.

So, does this actually happen?
I have not seen this happen, but I can think of a couple examples of times it should have happened
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Post by Ankamius »

In post 50, Persivul wrote:Consider this - "You can always reinvent yourself as scum and you always need to be doing stuff that people won't point to recent scum experiences and be like HEY HE DID THAT AS SCUM."

My point is that you can't just reinvent yourself AS SCUM. Anything you do that will make it harder for you to be read as scum, will necessarily also make it harder for you to be read as town. The two go hand in hand.
Actually, you should be trying to reinvent your scumgame every time you hit scum because that's how you 'improve' as scum.

Skill with both alignments are scaled to each other, so improving at one will naturally decrease your skill as the other; becoming a better scum player will make your influence as town equivocally harder to gain while becoming a better town player will make your play harder to emulate as scum. This is why players with very strong scumgames commonly have a lot of issues getting anywhere in their towngames regardless of their town play; it's also why players that very commonly have a big impact towards their team winning as town can't get very far in the majority of their scumgames.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:30 pm

In post 55, Ankamius wrote:it's also why players that very commonly have a big impact towards their team winning as town can't get very far in the majority of their scumgames.
disagree

i think the getting better as scum -> town is way harder thing is a lot more pronounced than better town -> scum harder
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Post by Ankamius »

That's probably more indicative of towns on this site being... well, not very good in a lot of instances.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:41 pm

i don't think that's different on other sites, or at least not on mafia universe.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I blame the scum kill for towns being bad. After a few days, players who are playing well have all gone and only the townies who are struggling are left.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:19 pm

i think nightless is more fun to play as both alignments
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:11 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 51, RadiantCowbells wrote:lol

In the sense that your scum game being more advanced than it was before makes you harder to townread, sure, but don't delude yourself that any of this involves not playing to wincon as best as they can as town
If you change your meta so that you're more difficult to identify as town, then yes, you're not playing as best you can as town.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:12 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 52, the worst wrote:I'm pretty sure that's closer to suggesting people should compromise scumgames in order to be easier to read..?
No, that's suggesting that people should strive to improve their scum games by mimicking their town games as best as they can.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:14 am

Post by northsidegal »

In post 61, Persivul wrote:If you change your meta so that you're more difficult to identify as town, then yes, you're not playing as best you can as town.
wouldn't deliberately avoiding changing your meta as scum such that you are easier to identify as town be counted as playing towards a future win condition?
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:22 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 63, northsidegal wrote:
In post 61, Persivul wrote:If you change your meta so that you're more difficult to identify as town, then yes, you're not playing as best you can as town.
wouldn't deliberately avoiding changing your meta as scum such that you are easier to identify as town be counted as playing towards a future win condition?
It’s more if you’re should be trying to be townread if scum or town. If you tank your town game to help your scum game or vice versa you’re not playing the best you can.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:25 am

Post by northsidegal »

i agree with that although from what i can gather i do not believe that is exactly what persivul is saying
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52 am

Post by the worst »

In post 64, MathBlade wrote:
It’s more if you’re should be trying to be townread if scum or town. If you tank your town game to help your scum game or vice versa you’re not playing the best you can.
concur completely

my scumgame isn't an imitation of my towngame
fight me
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:58 am

Post by Xtoxm »

In post 66, the worst wrote:
In post 64, MathBlade wrote:
concur completely

my scumgame isn't an imitation of my towngame
fight me
there was a time when i mimicked my scum game as town to get mislynched less. and it worked.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by Creature »

I think "Don't look too town as town" is a good scum strategy too.
Sigh
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Post by Krazy »

I don't think warping town meta to increase scum winrate is healthy for the site tbh
vote conspiracy
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 67, Xtoxm wrote:there was a time when i mimicked my scum game as town to get mislynched less. and it worked.
And people wonder why I do it.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:20 pm

It's worked for me before now (I started playing to my scum meta by accident in a town game, realised it, but it seemed to be working so I just continued).

That said, the game was Nightless and symmetrical, so there was no reason
not
to look as town as possible, regardless of alignment.
scum
town
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:38 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 63, northsidegal wrote: wouldn't deliberately avoiding changing your meta as scum such that you are easier to identify as town be counted as playing towards a future win condition?
You're only easier to identify as town to the extent that you can't pretend to scum hunt when you're scum.

People seem to have forgotten this, but...that's the base concept of the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am

I don't think there's any particular reason to play against your scum meta as scum, in of itself.

What you have to do is play against what people
think
your scum meta is, regardless of whether they're right or wrong in that. (So for example, if people generally believe you to be inactive as scum and post-spammy as town, it's correct to spam posts, especially if you're scum. This is regardless of what your play is actually like.)

A side-effect of this is that you have no reason to change your scum meta until someone else figures out what it is.
scum
town
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:53 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

In post 37, northsidegal wrote:i think very, very few people have ever deliberately held back their towngame to improve their scumgame
In post 42, RadiantCowbells wrote:The only two players who I think have ever historically sandbagged their town game for the benefit of their scum game are Elsa Jay now and Boonskiies a long time ago
#NoRegrets

Seriously though, in my subject I'm the opposite of the title of the thread, but in a circular way I'm encountering this situation from the other side of the spectrum.

The point of being Scum is to be indistighable from your Town game. I'm naturally inclined to do weird things when I get bored and I do things scummy for the sake of town as a townie. I play the same way because too me it's more fun then leaving a "towntell", wasting it to win a scumgame, then consciously going against your meta and slipping up multiple times.

Just play naturally and don't think "do I look townie?" As scum. Just be scummy in a townie way.
I made a GTKAS. Go shitpost in it if you want. It's very lonely.

"Even when I leave mafia and play an entirely different game I can't escape you you menace." - North/Wenya

Return to “Mafia Discussion”