Newbie Queue Changes: The IC Role

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PenguinPower
Pongwin
 
User avatar
Joined: June 15, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:25 am

After review of newbie feedback from a large sample of games and internal discussion with the team, I have made the decision to remove the Inexperienced-Challenged (IC) role from the Newbie queue. An additional SE role will take it's place, meaning that Newbie games will now have a minimum of 3 SE roles. Typically, the first post of an IC is an informative post explaining terms used on site and helpful tips (see here). This will be standardized and included by the moderator of the game in addition to the Newbie Setup post.

We do have a core group of ICs that dedicate their time to play in Newbie games for the benefit of the site. I appreciate their dedication, and hope they continue to play as SEs. At the end of the day, the best way for newbies to learn to play the game is to play, and our SEs already create a good environment for newbies to learn.

This change will take effect with Newbie 1917.
<(") | (")>

Elsa Jay
Chaos and Confusion
 
User avatar
Joined: September 30, 2018
Location: 'Murica, or Arrendelle. Either works.
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:41 am

Farewell, Innocent Children... You will be missed.
I made a GTKAS. Go shitpost in it if you want. It's very lonely. Or check out Lynch Happy instead. I'm pretty proud of it.

"Even when I leave mafia and play an entirely different game I can't escape you you menace." - North/Wenya

Innocent Children
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 01, 2018
Pronoun: They

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 am

In post 1, Elsa Jay wrote:Farewell, Innocent Children... You will be missed.


:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I thought love was only true in fairy tales.

Elsa Jay
Chaos and Confusion
 
User avatar
Joined: September 30, 2018
Location: 'Murica, or Arrendelle. Either works.
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:50 am

Oh hey, welcome to your funeral. Want some snacks?
I made a GTKAS. Go shitpost in it if you want. It's very lonely. Or check out Lynch Happy instead. I'm pretty proud of it.

"Even when I leave mafia and play an entirely different game I can't escape you you menace." - North/Wenya

Innocent Children
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 01, 2018
Pronoun: They

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 am

In post 3, Elsa Jay wrote:Oh hey, welcome to your funeral. Want some snacks?


Gingerbread please, kind lady. :)
I thought love was only true in fairy tales.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm

This might make me play newbies again. I always felt selfish signing up as an SE when the high demand was IC, but the one time I IC'd I did very poorly.

Creature
Of Habit
 
User avatar
Joined: January 26, 2016
Location: Lands of Fire
Pronoun: He

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:03 pm

RIP IC confessionals
Every man has the right to be an idiot and you are abusing the privilege

the worst
Snuggly Duckling
 
User avatar
Joined: November 07, 2015
Location: pond
Pronoun: He

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:32 pm

I think this is a net positive change tbh.
Having highly competent SE players who can keep an IC in check / also provide advice and feedback is always a huge boon and I think it's really valuable to increase the importance of those slots rather than lean on one player to be an express mentor figure.

The fluctuating rate of newbies / slowness of games firing does seem like a more urgent issue fmpov but, this likely isn't the place to air that.. :P
Go get to know xRECKONERx!
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
marathon weekend open group | discord server | join these, it'll be fun, i promise

BBmolla
Open Book
 
User avatar
Joined: May 29, 2011
Pronoun: He

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Bring back 2of4

Plotinus
Wise Words
 
User avatar
Joined: March 13, 2015

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 am

Will moderator feedback replace IC feedback or will more SEs do it postgame or just people do it if they feel like it?

mhsmith0
Balancing Act
 
User avatar
Joined: March 07, 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Will there be increased accountability and consequences for SEs who are toxic, chronically replace out, refuse to be helpful, or do any number of other things we don’t want to see in newbie games?
Show

PenguinPower
Pongwin
 
User avatar
Joined: June 15, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:59 pm

In post 9, Plotinus wrote:Will moderator feedback replace IC feedback or will more SEs do it postgame or just people do it if they feel like it?


Postgame feedback wasn't a consistent thing to begin with. If mods/SEs want to provide feedback to newbies they are more than able to, but it won't be compulsory.
<(") | (")>

PenguinPower
Pongwin
 
User avatar
Joined: June 15, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:05 pm

In post 10, mhsmith0 wrote:Will there be increased accountability and consequences for SEs who are toxic, chronically replace out, refuse to be helpful, or do any number of other things we don’t want to see in newbie games?


SEs (or any player) who are creating a toxic environment/violating site rules should be reported via the site's report function so that it can be reviewed by the Listmod team. This will help ensure accountability. Likewise, SEs who consistently replace out/flat out refuse to be helpful should be reported directly to me for review. SEs are not under the same obligations as an IC, but they are still site representatives for newer players.

I'm not sure what the other number of things are, so I can't comment.
<(") | (")>

Psyche
mr. personality
 
User avatar
Joined: April 28, 2011
Location: pacing the road to damascus
Pronoun: He

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:35 pm

In post 0, PenguinPower wrote:After review of newbie feedback from a large sample of games and internal discussion with the team, I have made the decision to remove the Inexperienced-Challenged (IC) role from the Newbie queue. An additional SE role will take it's place, meaning that Newbie games will now have a minimum of 3 SE roles. Typically, the first post of an IC is an informative post explaining terms used on site and helpful tips (see here). This will be standardized and included by the moderator of the game in addition to the Newbie Setup post.

We do have a core group of ICs that dedicate their time to play in Newbie games for the benefit of the site. I appreciate their dedication, and hope they continue to play as SEs. At the end of the day, the best way for newbies to learn to play the game is to play, and our SEs already create a good environment for newbies to learn.

This change will take effect with Newbie 1917.

great job
"Listen well - to be human is to be an eternal wanderer. It's up to you to discover the new vistas of life. No one else will clear the way!"

TTTT
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 04, 2016

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 pm

In post 6, Creature wrote:RIP IC confessionals


I will be requesting a PT in all my Newbies from now on
and making no deletions before it is released at end of game
I encourage other SEs to do the same in the spirit of newbie games

OkaPoka
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: March 28, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Having mods actively commentate in mod pts would be cool to have for all looking to improve

Gamma Emerald
Undiscovered
 
User avatar
Joined: August 09, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm

At least now there's no worry about the IC dying N1
Sometimes silence is the loudest thing you can say.

teacher
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: DC-area
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 pm

As the last of the ICs (newb 1916), I am kind of sad about this. Thor did a wonderful job in my game and inspired my own sense of duty to the site. I get the change, but hope that it will be required of mods in particular to rate the SEs so that newer players can feel the community that is here. It has been the desire to contribute to the site that has kept me coming back even as I am busier in the winter.

PenguinPower
Pongwin
 
User avatar
Joined: June 15, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:32 pm

As I said in the first post, there is a core group of ICs that have made it a point to play Newbies and focus on a good introduction to the site and provide an explanation of the play here. My hope is that they continue to do so as an SE.

I don't see the ability to contribute to the site as diminished by the removal of the role. Provide your feedback on play and site meta, provide end of game reviews - these are things you can still do. If an SE is going against site rules, is constantly flaking, or otherwise setting a bad example - report the post(s) or PM me directly.
<(") | (")>

teacher
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: DC-area
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 pm

I posted after I signed up as an SE. I get it, and I can see the need for it. Just.....nostalgic etc. and felt like sharing. Thanks for all you do.

PenguinPower
Pongwin
 
User avatar
Joined: June 15, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Thank you for what you do.
<(") | (")>

Irrelephant11
In the room
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: They hadn't become unseeing and unfeeling
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:47 pm

In post 17, teacher wrote:As the last of the ICs (newb 1916), I am kind of sad about this. Thor did a wonderful job in my game and inspired my own sense of duty to the site. I get the change, but hope that it will be required of mods in particular to rate the SEs so that newer players can feel the community that is here. It has been the desire to contribute to the site that has kept me coming back even as I am busier in the winter.


Similar feelings here
Will miss the IC role, though I don’t have a rational argument to keep it

Irrelephant11
In the room
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: They hadn't become unseeing and unfeeling
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Oh and teacher and I had the same first newb game! Same feelings <3

Gamma Emerald
Undiscovered
 
User avatar
Joined: August 09, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:33 am

Btw this doesn't change the fact I still don't feel ready to return to SEing.
Sometimes silence is the loudest thing you can say.

Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
 
User avatar
Joined: June 12, 2014
Location: East Bay
Pronoun: He

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:19 am

In post 18, PenguinPower wrote:As I said in the first post, there is a core group of ICs that have made it a point to play Newbies and focus on a good introduction to the site and provide an explanation of the play here. My hope is that they continue to do so as an SE.

I don't see the ability to contribute to the site as diminished by the removal of the role. Provide your feedback on play and site meta, provide end of game reviews - these are things you can still do. If an SE is going against site rules, is constantly flaking, or otherwise setting a bad example - report the post(s) or PM me directly.


In my experience, a lot of SE’s played like an IC anyways, and I don’t see that changing. If anything, they’ll do it more. It also streamlines gameplay and gets rid of the “would be only do that kind of thing because he’s IC” WIFOM, which is solid.
“Let it be known that almost everything Boonskiies said is either hilarious or annoying." - Shinobi

Yes, I'm Flavor Leaf. That's my main; I just mod on Boonskiies.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion