Newbie Queue Changes: The IC Role

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:12 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

I wonder if, given the fairly extreme skew of results towards newbscum teams getting rolled a lot, it might make sense to create an advisory position exclusive to newbscum teams, something like a "Guilty Child" or thereabouts, where someone gets to post in scum topic in an advisory role, but only if the scum team is all newbie (and if there's at least 1 SE, they instead are a silent watcher in scum chat but don't actually participate).

idk if that'd be a fun role for people to take on or not, but maybe something along those lines might be interesting to help balance results, especially if we're worried about the potential for newbie-newbie scum teams to get frustrated and leave the site after getting rolled too easily?
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:25 am

Post by TTTT »

^this
the newbie-newbie scum teams are getting eviscerated
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:19 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Like a Scum coach. That could be fun. They’d have to be a hidden sort of queue or people would use some sort of “he’s coaching. This must be a newbie-newbie scum team” kind of thing.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 am

Post by Lycanfire »

"guilty child" is a dumb idea because it assumes newbies are just as dumb as the idea is

they're capable of reading a completed game in their spare time

this means that new players perform to the extent of their ability. the lower winrate you have the newer you are is attributed to practice instead of theory. there's effectively nothing a coach can do for a player short of what that player could do for themselves.

btw in the 2d3 game i modded the noob scum team mercilessly slaughtered a well established town.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 28, Lycanfire wrote:there's effectively nothing a coach can do for a player short of what that player could do for themselves.
I've been in several newbie games recently where coaching would have helped newbscum avoid making errors that exposed them as scum.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

28 is wrong in so many ways lol
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

In post 29, TTTT wrote:I've been in several newbie games recently where coaching would have helped newbscum avoid making errors that exposed them as scum.
New idea: when there's a newbie-newbie scumteam, invite 2 SE-compliant players, demand the passwords of the newbies, and have the SE-compliant players login to their accounts and play the game for them.

It's the only way they will learn.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:47 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Any idiot is capable of reading a completed game
Not every idiot is capable of learning anything from the exercise

A decent coach type presence could be helpful for
1) basic teaching of how to avoid really obvious scum tells
2) basic teaching of how to PR hunt and how to manipulate a setup, including when to soft or fake a claim
3) motivating people, all the more so when a game turns into a replace out fest, or town is competent, or any number of other things that can sap motivation might apply

Is this overall a good idea? Heck if I know. Is it worth considering? Sure, why not. There really IS a problem of newbscum teams getting rolled overall, and it's something that ought to have *SOME* kind of active attempt to help it, whether this or something else.
Show
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Like guilty child is a terrible idea don't get me wrong but for the opposite reason

Put a really good scum player as guilty child and town never wins
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Newbscum get rolled because the setup is townsided and making it even survivable as scum requires you to understand the setup on a deep level
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 33, RadiantCowbells wrote:Like guilty child is a terrible idea don't get me wrong but for the opposite reason
Put a really good scum player as guilty child and town never wins
And that's also a consideration (of course, a really good player as guilty child who gets sidelined b/c there's 1-2 SEs as wolf will not see much impact on scum win rates in those games :P )
I also think there's a non-trivial # of quality towns that randomly pop up in these games which can get rough even for good scum teams
And I also think there's a distinct gap between receiving good advice and being able to effectively implement said advice.
Show
MaryJoLisa
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:43 am

Post by MaryJoLisa »

If people like the IC role, why can't the role be reinvisioned into something that is more of a coach or mentor who drops into various newbie games and points out rules and policies and answers questions that players may have? After the game, the IC can disclose their opinion of player's game strategy and they can openly participate in the end-game banter is a positive way that helps heal all those salty wounds that newbies may not have the past playing experience to put in perspective.

If the player-IC is perceived by newbies to be a trusted mentor, and that mentor stabs them in the back (which is part of the game, and I get that) or becomes angry when the newbie's actions take away from the IC's perceived wincon, then the lines between teacher and opponent may be too fuzzy for the newbies (who as a group have a wide range of personalities and past playing experience) to reasonably distinguish on a consistent basis.

The idea of an IC in a newbie game is a good one, but my two cents is that if people do want that IC role for the purpose of helping newbies out, have ICs as more of a mini moderator, not a fellow competitor. Maybe one who doesn't know the setup or the roles and can offer impartial advice and answer questions.
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 34, RadiantCowbells wrote:Newbscum get rolled because the setup is townsided and making it even survivable as scum requires you to understand the setup on a deep level
It would be neat if you wrote a little article about playing the setup as scum. It could be linked to along with all the other resources at the start of a newbie, and I bet it would really help people.
103-11 0-2
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Post by Toomai »

In post 36, MaryJoLisa wrote:The idea of an IC in a newbie game is a good one, but my two cents is that if people do want that IC role for the purpose of helping newbies out, have ICs as more of a mini moderator, not a fellow competitor. Maybe one who doesn't know the setup or the roles and can offer impartial advice and answer questions.
Spectators in Newbie Games
In post 4, Toomai wrote:Bias in a spectator/dead IC is impossible to avoid.
  • If they're as uninformed as a spectator, they're more likely to be game-solving and thus pro-town.
  • If they know who PRs are, they're probably going to be subconsciously biased towards advice for those roles.
  • If they know who the scum are, they're more likely to accidentally have advice for their exact situation that players can link.
  • If they're as informed as the mod, might as well have the mod do the job, and it's generally considered that's not good.
And adding on a fifth point: It creates a "tenth slot" that needs to be filled and reasonably follow the game.
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:46 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 38, Toomai wrote:[*]If they're as uninformed as a spectator, they're more likely to be game-solving and thus pro-town.
So just shift the standard setup four and a half yards in the direction of the scum to keep things at a 50% winrate. Although any winrate besides 90/10 should be fine for newbies.

It seems like a fine idea.

I kinda dislike the change. I would have preferred to see the requirements for firing a game change without eliminating the role. The role prevented any one newbie game from getting overkill on experienced player availability, which means one of the other newbie games missed out.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:25 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

I understand the reason for the change based on how things were trending when I left and props for making it, but it's definitely a depressing one.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”