How do you develop charisma?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

they do if you can lynch scum d1
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 122, Ankamius wrote:
In post 117, Buki wrote:I think that the problem isn't casing itself

it's how you case

the best case is one where you go for some key points that scum can hardly defend themselves against. That way you're not only not letting them defend themselves properly, but convincing other people that they're scum.

I've learned by experience that making long cases or even medium sized ones doesn't work. Scum will find the weakest arguments and only focus on them, and it'll be so much arguing that people will stop paying attention to what's being argued/discussed. It needs to be a bit short and a lot reasonable/convincing.

I don't think the solution is to simply not explain your scum read though, if you do that you're not only having worse odds of lynching your target, but you're as well making other townies have a harder time reading you.

Good and original scum reads are harder ti fake than town reads. I've hardly see someone make a perceptive/very original scum read and end up flipping scum. They're more likely town by my experience.
In post 118, Buki wrote:Also if you don't explain your scum read and you're wrong (what is very likely to happen) you'll be stuck there when you could argue it out and see what people bring to the table.

and also, it's considerably important to see how the rest of players react to the accusations/case, it's likely AI.
I think we have a miscommunication here somewhere?

you're essentially agreeing with me, but I'm not saying to avoid going into your reads; I just believe that going into more than a basic overview of your scumreads is unnecessary and detrimental, while going into your townreads is a lot more effective both short term and long term.
The main problem as I see it, is most people don’t take into account individual differences in playstyle and that is one of the most common reason for mislynching.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 125, RadiantCowbells wrote:they do if you can lynch scum d1
Which I did with scum!Moth in some MU nightless game. His opening post was a textbook scumclaim.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Post by Ankamius »

meh

I'm still of the stubborn opinion that the only scum lynch that truly matters is the last one
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 127, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
Which I did with scum!Moth in some MU nightless game. His opening post was a textbook scumclaim.
>50% of games that i am town and present in d1 involve a d1 scum lynch
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 124, Ankamius wrote:scumreads don't matter d1
I wouldn't say they don't matter--but I would say that they are less important. There's a lot which I'd prioritize higher than scumreads on D1, but I wouldn't callously discard them as important altogether. D1 is setting the groundwork for the rest of the game, after all, and part of the game
is
getting scumreads. It's just that no matter how important it may be to get scumreads, on D1 it's not
the
most important thing.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:36 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 99, Wisdom wrote:Is it though
I enjoy them being unable to defend themselves because I've given them no reasoning
Nancy doesn't give reasoning, and it's not working for her.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:46 am

Post by Wisdom »

Nancy does give reasoning
Boonskiies
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
That's Not All, Folks!

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:08 am

Post by Boonskiies »

In post 105, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 101, Ankamius wrote:Explaining townreads is a lot more effective because scum can't really argue against them directly if they don't already have a good angle of attack on them
One way I’ve successfully caught scum, is due to scumreading obvtown for pretty much specious reasoning. Like scum’s wet dream is lots of lynchbaity town.

Like in theRoomOdds, I didn’t necessarily scumread Clem but he made pretty much 0 effort to engage me in our private room, so I unfortunately had no basis, to either think he was a mislynch or argue against it. I actually still double down on VCA never lies, I just did it completely wrong.

Gamma had 4 votes, so when scum!Flavor put down a vote on his scumpal, it didn’t matter, since at that point, Gamma was getting lynched regardless, but I should have townlocked SS for his Gamma vote, since his vote enabled the town deflector mechanic.

So, both SS and Dunn, were mechanically close to being confirmed town. I also should have realized that scum wouldn’t kill Plot - who Dunn was pushing or Dunn and protected SS and switched him with Persival, since I was still tr Flavor.

But had I had that slot n1, I would have switched Tris with Persival and then I might have realized that Flavor had to be his buddy? I hope I would have, anyway. \_0_/
If you were in the game Day 1, though, the game would have been entirely different. I would have played up to the fact you were in the game. Kills night have been different, gameplay might have been different. I’d probably have gotten a room with you Day 1 over Plotinus, and that changes the entire landscape.
"Let it be known that almost everything Boonskiies said is either hilarious or annoying." - Shinobi

Yes, I'm
Flavor Leaf
. That's my main; I just mod on
Boonskiies
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:03 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 132, Wisdom wrote:Nancy does give reasoning
Not when I played with her.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:43 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 131, Persivul wrote:
In post 99, Wisdom wrote:Is it though
I enjoy them being unable to defend themselves because I've given them no reasoning
Nancy doesn't give reasoning, and it's not working for her.
In post 134, Persivul wrote:
In post 132, Wisdom wrote:Nancy does give reasoning
Not when I played with her.
That isn’t my typical game but you’re wrong even in that game. Have you read Plot’s and my room yet?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:44 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 133, Boonskiies wrote:
In post 105, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 101, Ankamius wrote:Explaining townreads is a lot more effective because scum can't really argue against them directly if they don't already have a good angle of attack on them
One way I’ve successfully caught scum, is due to scumreading obvtown for pretty much specious reasoning. Like scum’s wet dream is lots of lynchbaity town.

Like in theRoomOdds, I didn’t necessarily scumread Clem but he made pretty much 0 effort to engage me in our private room, so I unfortunately had no basis, to either think he was a mislynch or argue against it. I actually still double down on VCA never lies, I just did it completely wrong.

Gamma had 4 votes, so when scum!Flavor put down a vote on his scumpal, it didn’t matter, since at that point, Gamma was getting lynched regardless, but I should have townlocked SS for his Gamma vote, since his vote enabled the town deflector mechanic.

So, both SS and Dunn, were mechanically close to being confirmed town. I also should have realized that scum wouldn’t kill Plot - who Dunn was pushing or Dunn and protected SS and switched him with Persival, since I was still tr Flavor.

But had I had that slot n1, I would have switched Tris with Persival and then I might have realized that Flavor had to be his buddy? I hope I would have, anyway. \_0_/
If you were in the game Day 1, though, the game would have been entirely different. I would have played up to the fact you were in the game. Kills night have been different, gameplay might have been different. I’d probably have gotten a room with you Day 1 over Plotinus, and that changes the entire landscape.
+1

I completely agree with this. I also would have switched Tris for Persivul instead of RR switching Plot with Clem.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 135, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:That isn’t my typical game but you’re wrong even in that game. Have you read Plot’s and my room yet?
No. I'm talking about the main thread. You didn't give much in the way of reasons there.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:12 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 137, Persivul wrote:
In post 135, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:That isn’t my typical game but you’re wrong even in that game. Have you read Plot’s and my room yet?
No. I'm talking about the main thread. You didn't give much in the way of reasons there.
I also didn’t want to be NK’d. Sometimes, I actually play PR well. Unlike in SC 2, where I couldn’t help myself. :facepalm:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 am

Post by Auro »

I don't think it's useful to play less towny / more scummy intentionally as a PR. I'd just play PR as though I was town.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:50 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 139, Auro wrote:I don't think it's useful to play less towny / more scummy intentionally as a PR. I'd just play PR as though I was town.
No not scummy, I was just less verbose than I usually am and also because I was somewhat confused about the mechanic and being a replace in.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Morality
Morality
Mafia Scum
Morality
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:17 am

Post by Morality »

In post 139, Auro wrote:I don't think it's useful to play less towny / more scummy intentionally as a PR. I'd just play PR as though I was town.
If I’m Vanilla, I just claim investigative, and if I’m anything else, I claim multiple times.

I’m the worst, and not the ducky kind.
“DON’T GET BOGGED DOWN IN HIS SWAMP OF WIFOM!” - Chip Butty to guiltied Scum Morality. Spoiler, they sunk.

FL

Modding - A Death Note Series -
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:27 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 141, Morality wrote:
If I’m Vanilla, I just claim investigative, and if I’m anything else, I claim multiple times.

I’m the worst, and not the ducky kind.
Why would you claim investigative as vanilla?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
economics bat
economics bat
Goon
economics bat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:33 am

Post by economics bat »

Hello! I am super new so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I read your game and I think your charisma was fine and your case on Persivul was good, but you lost for other reasons.

My interpretation of the game:
- The mafia killed a person who scumread Persivul. The D1 mislynch scumread Persivul. That game sucked for you numerically because everyone who agreed with you kept dying.
- The reason the mafia didn't kill you is probably that you were pocketed by Flavor Leaf all game, but Flavor Leaf is in this thread so you should ask him yourself.
- You spent much of that game in a long argument with a townie who thought you were town, who also soft-scumread Persivul. I think this is mostly your fault?
- Your posts with plotinus were good and smart, but he already agreed with you that Persivul was scum so I don't understand why you use that as an example of anything.

These things happen!

(EDIT: Original version of this post misaccounted for Plotinus as a nightkill, Plotinus was actually a mislynch.)
Last edited by economics bat on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
economics bat
economics bat
Goon
economics bat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 am

Post by economics bat »

(to clarify, i agree that you could have turned it around if you were slightly more convincing, but I think the odds were already against you for those other reasons.)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”