Atmosphere as Strategy

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:02 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 22, Persivul wrote:
In post 19, Ramcius wrote:That's eternal struggle of mafia - you have always find new ways to win as scum, when people figure out your tricks
Only if you're using tricks.

If your scum strategy is to just look townier than most of the other people, you never have to change it up.
What happens when you stop getting town cred for being obvtown
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:15 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 19, Ramcius wrote:That's eternal struggle of mafia - you have always find new ways to win as scum, when people figure out your tricks

If your scum strategy is to just look townier than most of the other people, you never have to change it up.
Anything you do to make false impression is a trick by definition
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Post by MariaR »

Atmosphere manipulation is one of the strongest tools for scum easily. It's not as simple as making town not want to play or stuff like that. Trying to encourage town into death tunnels, stopping solve attempts. All using subtle hints and gameplay if perfected is one of the best plays you can do. Hell, it's something I do all the time as scum.
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:01 am

Post by Primate »

Relying on a a bored, apethetic town can backfire hugely when someone does decide to gee up the town and practically get themselves confirmed town as a result. Seen it a few times in replacements (as a dull game is more likely to get replacements anyway). Not saying it can't work but the situation is unstable.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:41 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 25, RadiantCowbells wrote:

What happens when you stop getting town cred for being obvtown
That doesn't happen. There's also the point that if you're too obvtown you'll be suspicious for being alive late in game - but that doesn't happen either. At least not frequently enough that those are major concerns.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

that does happen, actually. just not to you.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:57 pm

Post by Mulch »

The deal with atomosphere manipulation is that it's much easier to derail or ruin an atmosphere as a wolf than it is to improve or create a good atmosphere as a villager. Thus, I'm not positive that this is something a villager should be actively thinking about (just do your part to make the game run smoothly, but you shoulden't be trying to manipulate other people or anything like that imo). As a wolf, this can be an incredibly effective strategy, one that I've used countless times. I disagree with those itt that say this is a "bad" strategy or an unfeasible one- in particular, spamming up the game has worked wonders for me in the past across a lot of sites. I do agree that this is harder to pull off if there are people that know your villager meta though, obviously.
Amrock#3784
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:28 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Telling people to keep their votes in play. Trying to create understanding between an argument that seems trivial. I think town should create a pro-town environment regardless of whether scum can wreck that or not.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”