Another thread about WotM/WotC but its about replacements

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:41 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 49, Wisdom wrote:
In post 41, Plotinus wrote:If I announce "X replaces Y" and a player PMs me saying "Please no" then I'll be a little annoyed that they didn't speak to the person and tell them not to replace into their games, but I'll honour it.
The problem is when you tell people not to replace in your games yet they do it anyway
This
so much fucking this
GTKAS
| here.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:26 am

Post by Lycanfire »

In post 9, FakeGod wrote:A question: if Bob joins a game not protected by Wisdom of X, and they start the game without a hitch, but Joe, a player Bob does not wish to play with, replaces in, then what should happen in this situation?
Bob makes a thread in MD to cry in. Or they replace out and the mod blacklists them. Don't reward bad behavior.
In post 29, Dunnstral wrote:About the replacement thing, I think logistics wise it isn't feasible to take more time to verify with the players about a replacement - that's pretty disruptive, the game might need to be paused, etc, and will need to wait for the moderator and player to come online additional times (remember, prod timers are generally 48 hours on this site - it's not unreasonable to expect an extra 4 days for a replacement to come into the game if you have to verify with everyone, and then have the replacement online again at the right time
I think people are hung up on getting the job done perfectly. All you need to do is create a new rule for it.

Wotm-my way or the high way. mods already reject replacements, but probably not as much as they should.
Woto-give the mod your blacklist at the start of the game. the mod cared at signups, so.
Wotc-pm the playerlist, get their opinion. 1/3 yes is an auto pass. search for another replacement if no's reach 1/2.

If the problem is prevalent enough to have one of these rules at sign ups, then it's important enough to care about during the game. Having a game that isn't a complete shit show is worth the delay.

Using woto/wotc to get an ingame advantage should lead to those player(s) themselves getting blacklisted or mods concluding players are shit and refusing to use those rulesets. Keep in mind that there's nothing stopping players from refusing others during signups for an ingame advantage already.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:21 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I think replacements who try to get around player blacklists ought to be force-replaced out because it’s completely unfair to the rest of the playerlist. If you know someone is playing in a game you don’t get along with, it’s beyond selfish to force innocent people to suffer.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:52 am

Post by Firebringer »

Thats a change of pace from you Nancy.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:54 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 53, Firebringer wrote:Thats a change of pace from you Nancy.
Blacklists don’t just affect the individuals involved, so that’s why I now view it differently.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 42, BNL wrote:I remembered a problem with replacement wotming that doesn't apply to signup wotming:
Suppose there is a player I have blacklisted because they play in a very antitown manner. If that player were to replace into one of my games, I would replace out.
But suppose I'm
scum
in a game with that player replacing in, and I would rather have that player stay in the game and complete the game with that player, so decide not to wotm that player.
The kind of people who play very antitown as every alignment just kind of suck for the site in general. I don't think you should design around it. That'd be like not adding a certain character to a team video game you're developing because it's too powerful when someone on the losing team disconnects from the game.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:19 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

On the subject of Wot1: if a moderator instituted a policy of "if there's anyone you don't wish to play with, please PM me a list of all such players during signups so that I won't start the game with both of you / won't replace them into the game while you're alive in it", would players feel comfortable about actually sending the blacklist to the mod? Because that seems like the only workable way to make WotM work past signups (and even during signups if you're worried about timezone issues in rejecting players).

On the subject of players who are anti-town as every alignment: you can in fact design around them (e.g. early vig shots, especially ones which are modified to have reduced consequences upon killing a townie; or mechanics that highly encourage town to quicklynch D1). I'm not sure if it's necessarily a good idea, but it's possible.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

Every village has an idiot. The town wincon isn't winning, it's about not looking like the dumbest townie. This is why you see players throwing around a bunch of meaningless jargon in an attempt to get in with the tribe.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

For me wincons are about winning. If looking dumb worked as a strategy (including ability to convincingly pull it off), and wasn't banned or immoral or anything like that, I'd use it. That said, I don't think it does work as a town strategy, and you can't convincingly pull it off as scum once you've built up a bit of a reputation.

I do think that playing dumb can be surprisingly effective as scum, as long as it's not out of character for you. In fact, newbie scum tend to be fairly successful using that tactic in practice (often when you draw town, you discover that they're not nearly as terrible as you thought they were from watching the scumgame that they won because their apparent stupidity was an act to make them hard to read).

Incidentally, when a player actually does happen to be town with no idea what's going on, trying to make it look like they know what they're doing normally ends up making things worse (sometimes they'll end up getting lynched as a result of, e.g., having a fakeclaim disproved when there was no good reason to make it in the first place), and they end up looking even sillier than they would have if they'd just admitted their ignorance in the first place. Simply asking, and having someone explain to you what you're missing, is a much better way to fix the problem.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Post by Mulch »

I don't neccesarily think this is a complicated solution. If you already have a private/public blacklist, extend it to replacements. If someone wants to join that is not on the blacklist, you should allow them to join unless someone in the game had specifically requested that they not be allowed to replace in beforehand. The impetus is on the player- it's not the host's responsibility to forsee every possible scenario which can result in a conflict. And IF someone does join and a conflict is created, you can't exactly sub them out (or anyone out, really) without sacrificing game integrity, especially because it's plausible the conflict is based on someone's play which can be advantageous/disadvantageous depending on people's alignment.
Amrock#3784
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:29 pm

Post by Jingle »

Mulch is back? Welcome back Mulch!
This is a Parachute.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:57 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 58, callforjudgement wrote:For me wincons are about winning. If looking dumb worked as a strategy (including ability to convincingly pull it off), and wasn't banned or immoral or anything like that, I'd use it. That said, I don't think it does work as a town strategy, and you can't convincingly pull it off as scum once you've built up a bit of a reputation.

I do think that playing dumb can be surprisingly effective as scum, as long as it's not out of character for you. In fact, newbie scum tend to be fairly successful using that tactic in practice (often when you draw town, you discover that they're not nearly as terrible as you thought they were from watching the scumgame that they won because their apparent stupidity was an act to make them hard to read).

Incidentally, when a player actually does happen to be town with no idea what's going on, trying to make it look like they know what they're doing normally ends up making things worse (sometimes they'll end up getting lynched as a result of, e.g., having a fakeclaim disproved when there was no good reason to make it in the first place), and they end up looking even sillier than they would have if they'd just admitted their ignorance in the first place. Simply asking, and having someone explain to you what you're missing, is a much better way to fix the problem.
I derp irrespective of my alignment and I either falsely get accused of trying to get derpcleared or scum slipping. I mix up things all the time and it extends beyond games. I even had one player accuse me of doing it as some “strategy” to be underestimated, when the truth is, it’s not really something I can help.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed May 01, 2019 12:58 am

Post by profii »

I have a small list of people I wouldn't play with, I don't air this publicly, I just don't sign up to games with those people.

If they appeared in my games, I'd probably just change my tactics to get lynched / killed quickly tbh haha
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Post by chennisden »

ez

stop blacklisting so carelessly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”