Another thread about WotM/WotC but its about replacements

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Another thread about WotM/WotC but its about replacements

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 2088, FakeGod wrote:A game can start with a playerlist that is okay with each other, but mod generally doesn't know whether everyone will be okay with the incoming replacements.

This is a problem. We should come up with a way to deal with this situation.
I think this sums up what I wanna talk about.
As a mod, what is the best way to make sure someone replaces in that the playerlist is okay with.
A recent example was the game I took this post from, momo replaced in, and because I would rather stay on site and not banned, I replaced out instead of saying a bunch of shit that would get me site banned. As a mod, how do you prevent something like this happening.
GTKAS
| here.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Post by FakeGod »

I don't think there is an easy solution.

A mod can't ask the players whether a potential replacement is okay, because people can very easily abuse that system.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Post by northsidegal »

if you are aware of a potential conflict as a mod one solution is simply to either ask the player(s) already playing if they are okay with the replacement or to just directly refuse the player yourself given your knowledge of pre-existing conflicts.

that's in the situation where you're aware of a conflict, though. one solution for the situation where you aren't aware is to simply announce the intended replacement beforehand, and if anyone has a personal issue they message you regarding it. a problem with this solution is obviously the delay in people actually replacing in. it's certainly not ideal, although i wouldn't predict abuse of that system for strategic purposes.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

better to allow it then get rid of the people abusing it.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
MaryJoLisa
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Post by MaryJoLisa »

I've been wondering how conflicts are handled with replace-ins. I would love for there to be some way to bring Alisae's thought to fruition, but I'm not sure how that would work with alts and such. I'd like to see something being done to address it, but maybe as RC said, it should be reactive rather than proactive.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

If there's wotc/woto in signups you should be able to wotc/woto replacements.

Mods also have the responsibility to curate their game. There's no rule stating that you have to take on a replacement.
In post 1, FakeGod wrote:I don't think there is an easy solution.

A mod can't ask the players whether a potential replacement is okay, because people can very easily abuse that system.
Seems to me that mods should be more careful about acknowledging woto.

I'm sure most people just want a game to move on. A replacement check would lead to
less
opinionated players and would be more representative of how they feel when it truly matters. If it's a matter of factional power, don't use woto. Towns won't reject a good scum player in a scum slot and scums can't reject a good townie.
MaryJoLisa
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Post by MaryJoLisa »

Oh, and btw, what's WotM/WotC/woto?
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

wotm=wisdom of the mod
wotc=wisdom of the crowd
woto=wisdom of the one

discretionary rules to limit people from entering a game's playerlist
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

on your thought re: alts it's entirely valid for a mod to ask no alts, no alts after X join date or no anonymous alts (must PM mod from main account). there's a definite problem of 1-2 people on site making alts to get into games they shouldn't be in or physically cannot be in right now and mods taking it upon themselves to slap a sticker on their games for a short time would go a long way to getting these people to fuck off.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Post by FakeGod »

A question: if Bob joins a game not protected by Wisdom of X, and they start the game without a hitch, but Joe, a player Bob does not wish to play with, replaces in, then what should happen in this situation?
MaryJoLisa
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Post by MaryJoLisa »

Sounds like Bob's choices are to either suck it up or replace out. This could create unnecessary work for the mod and disruption to the game, but maybe that's why players should have some say in this process. Maybe Bob should be allowed to tell the mod at the start of the game that they have a well established conflict with Joe, so this player should not be repped into the game
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Post by northsidegal »

it seems to me that if bob would replace out over joe replacing in, the correct choice is to seek a different replacement. after all, bob was already in the game.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
MaryJoLisa
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Post by MaryJoLisa »

In post 11, northsidegal wrote:it seems to me that if bob would replace out over joe replacing in, the correct choice is to seek a different replacement. after all, bob was already in the game.
That provides that the mod shares with the players who they're selecting to rep in. If the deed is done and Bob simply cannot work with Joe, does the mod have to revoke the rep in? What if Joe already got the role PM?

When there are lots of rep ins and outs, does this forum find that the integrity of the game is compromised, what with lots of non-players knowing the roles they once occupied? Do slips or even accidentally-on-purposes happen?
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

If there are potential players that if they replace in that would cause you to replace out, let the mod know in advance so that they won't get accepted as someone to replace in anyway.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Post by BNL »

In a game I played someone tried to publicly replace out based on someone else repalcing in. This resulted in the mod replacing the replaced player rather than the one who requested the replacement.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Post by KittyMo »

In post 14, BNL wrote:In a game I played someone tried to publicly replace out based on someone else repalcing in. This resulted in the mod replacing the replaced player rather than the one who requested the replacement.
I believe that was my game. The situation was a bit unfortunate because I had put in my ruleset to only request replacement by PM, and so I was kinda like, duuude, why didn't you just talk it out with me, I don't want to make you play with someone you've blacklisted.

The only thing I can really think of to avoid this issue is for players to preemptively tell mods who is on their blacklist before any actual replacements are needed. As a mod I'd be appreciative of anyone telling me that upfront.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
MaryJoLisa
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:46 am

Post by MaryJoLisa »

I haven't yet figured out how things work around here with creating alts and such, but based on my current understanding, it seems like a player can easily circumvent a black list by just creating an alt. Lycanfire said that mods can request no alts in a game, but how much admin/mod support are they getting to enforce their alt-bans?

If it's illegal for players to have undeclared alts, but it's not illegal for them to use VPNs as long as they declare their alts, then what's to stop VPN users from creating multiple accounts, each with their own associated alts? Are mods at least checking that mains are using a standard, identifiable IP with a clean history both on this forum and on a place such as Stop Forum Spam?
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:50 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 10, MaryJoLisa wrote:Sounds like Bob's choices are to either suck it up or replace out. This could create unnecessary work for the mod and disruption to the game, but maybe that's why players should have some say in this process. Maybe Bob should be allowed to tell the mod at the start of the game that they have a well established conflict with Joe, so this player should not be repped into the game
I accidentally did this with RC and it created issues.

We had a gentleman’s agreement not to play in games with him and I forgot.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:50 am

Post by MathBlade »

Sometimes it’s not deliberate too. :(
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 16, MaryJoLisa wrote:I haven't yet figured out how things work around here with creating alts and such, but based on my current understanding, it seems like a player can easily circumvent a black list by just creating an alt. Lycanfire said that mods can request no alts in a game, but how much admin/mod support are they getting to enforce their alt-bans?

If it's illegal for players to have undeclared alts, but it's not illegal for them to use VPNs as long as they declare their alts, then what's to stop VPN users from creating multiple accounts, each with their own associated alts? Are mods at least checking that mains are using a standard, identifiable IP with a clean history both on this forum and on a place such as Stop Forum Spam?
Game mods aren't site mods and don't really have the authority to say "no alts allowed" beyond what they know or think to be true. They can enforce it by not allowing people to play, sure, they don't get to request site mods to step in and tell them if someone is an alt though.

Or maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen no precedent for "site mods can tell game mods when a player in signups is an alt account" whereas there is (I believe) precedent for the opposite
In post 14, BNL wrote:In a game I played someone tried to publicly replace out based on someone else repalcing in. This resulted in the mod replacing the replaced player rather than the one who requested the replacement.
That's a breach of site rules now, modkill the offending player, their slot is compromised through their own actions. Hey, that also solves the problem
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 19, Dunnstral wrote:That's a breach of site rules now, modkill the offending player, their slot is compromised through their own actions. Hey, that also solves the problem
tbf that probably happened before the new rule
GTKAS
| here.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

And it's covered under current rules, so it's not a problem scenario anymore
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 19, Dunnstral wrote:Game mods aren't site mods and don't really have the authority to say "no alts allowed" beyond what they know or think to be true. They can enforce it by not allowing people to play, sure, they don't get to request site mods to step in and tell them if someone is an alt though.

Or maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen no precedent for "site mods can tell game mods when a player in signups is an alt account" whereas there is (I believe) precedent for the opposite
This is a thing in the Newbie Queue for obvious reasons. You are correct that in other queues it is not necessarily. However, it is explicitly stated that players should not use an alt to get around another player or mod's blacklist.
<(") | (")>
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Post by Alisae »

PP by that logic shouldn't player blacklists be something that's enforced since what if an alt is used to get around a blacklist
GTKAS
| here.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Post by FakeGod »

In post 15, KittyMo wrote:The only thing I can really think of to avoid this issue is for players to preemptively tell mods who is on their blacklist before any actual replacements are needed. As a mod I'd be appreciative of anyone telling me that upfront.
This is where we are currently. Unless the players pre-emptively tell the mods to exclude, replacements are basically not going to be screened retroactively.

Is this good enough?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”