Application of fast night

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Application of fast night

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 am

Post by Nero Cain »

If you are new here and not sure what this is its a mod starting the day as soon as all night actions are in as opposed to waiting the full night deadline. Most mods do this late game but why is that? The only reason that I can kind of think of is maybe that players need the full night deadline since they will be more likely to change their actions. I don't do a whole ton of modding but I see no reason not to make ALL my nights fast nights unless there's a good reason for why this isn't done. Also, other mods might think this is a good practice.

of course, the normal 2-hour deadline should still be in place just in case a less active player doesn't have the time to send in their action.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:04 am

Post by popsofctown »

Implicitly clearing a VT when a fast night completes through their inactivity is obviously bad.
This can be fixed by requiring even VTs to send in a dummy night action though.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:07 am

Post by Lycanfire »

This isn't used because players can confirm they have a night action by stipulating "I'm sending my night action either 4 hours in or 40 hours into night" so either mafia let's them do it, the person abusing the mechanic is mafia, or the mafia doesn't let them do it.

This jobifies the mechanic (mafia have to set an alarm to stop some rule bullshit) and makes it readable (did this happen because they're mafia? did it not happen because they're town? what does the mafia want me to believe? why is this being allowed in the first place?)
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:10 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 1, popsofctown wrote:Implicitly clearing a VT when a fast night completes through their inactivity is obviously bad.
Well yeah, I think I've only ever seen it done when
EVERYONE
agrees.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:46 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

There's usually only one scum left at those points, so there's no need for the night talk.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:26 am

Post by implosion »

In post 1, popsofctown wrote:Implicitly clearing a VT when a fast night completes through their inactivity is obviously bad.
This can be fixed by requiring even VTs to send in a dummy night action though.
This is correct and is also the biggest answer to why it's not done early; it's usually just not worth it to require every player to send in a night message because when there are 12 players alive it's not especially likely that everyone is going to comply.

In principle there's no strong reason not to, though, and if you want to, by all means do.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Post by Firebringer »

90% of time I see fast nights being an option in games they aren't utilized. As a mod I have never had a fast night in a game. Not enough players are usually so into the game they are pressing for it.

Also word of advice for mods: If you do offer fast nights, do not make it so your games have long delays after your standard night is over. It will piss your players of for who expect timeliness and faster speed games because you gave them that option. I have seen mods who offer "fast nights" and then they go way over the regular deadline to egregious amounts which is just like a middle finger to anyone playing your game.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

To avoid various breaking strategies (such as timezone breaks), fast night has to be unanimous. It's normally only offered late-game because getting a unanimous fast night is fairly difficult, especially when you have a lot of players.

My ruleset allows players to request fast night at any size of game, but I don't typically point this out to the players unless I think there's a realistic chance it might happen.

(As for the "extended nights due to missing mods", me being online at any given moment isn't a guarantee that I'll be online 48 hours after that moment, but if I can't make the night deadline as the moderator, I normally try to drop a note into the thread explaining.)

FWIW, I once
almost
managed a fast night in a game I was modding; every player responded, but the scum told me to stall the deadline out to its normal length anyway (presumably to troll the town).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I think it’s okay to do it starting Night 1, but generally that’s a lot of players, and typically there’s at least one player who likes the break thus meaning I’d get like 12 pm’s, but the 1 person makes it so it doesn’t go fast. Also gives me as a mod a small break not to always keep up by keeping it regular.

But yeah, I think it’s fine to do it for every night, but it’s just more realistic to happen later in the game because the game is slow enough during the day phases where it’s not as hard to keep up, so I just don’t normally ask of it early game because I don’t think it will pass anyways, and gives me time to comment, I guess. So I guess laziness.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:15 am

Post by Titus »

In post 0, Nero Cain wrote:If you are new here and not sure what this is its a mod starting the day as soon as all night actions are in as opposed to waiting the full night deadline. Most mods do this late game but why is that? The only reason that I can kind of think of is maybe that players need the full night deadline since they will be more likely to change their actions. I don't do a whole ton of modding but I see no reason not to make ALL my nights fast nights unless there's a good reason for why this isn't done. Also, other mods might think this is a good practice.

of course, the normal 2-hour deadline should still be in place just in case a less active player doesn't have the time to send in their action.

Mods can use long night to ensure they'd be present to do the flip.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”