Spectate/Dead threads/DC ought to be mandatory

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Spectate/Dead threads/DC ought to be mandatory

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

To have a private forum/DC to discuss the game, get spoiled and most important of all, to yell at gamethrowing idiots, which are the bane of every good mafia player’s existence.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

ppl barely post in them though. Like they are fun to read and yeah, mods should make b/c what's the harm? but making it mandatory is not really something I agree with but a decent mod should go ahead and take the 10 seconds it takes to make one.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 1, Nero Cain wrote:ppl barely post in them though. Like they are fun to read and yeah, mods should make b/c what's the harm? but making it mandatory is not really something I agree with but a decent mod should go ahead and take the 10 seconds it takes to make one.
I think it’s unfair to the players not to have one but not necessarily the case. The Heroes’ dead thread was ginormous.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 1, Nero Cain wrote:a decent mod should go ahead and take the 10 seconds it takes to make one.
I'm much more concerned with timely VC's and prods and relatively on time phases but (some) mods already struggle with that. I think making a mandatory dead thread is putting too much pressure on them.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 pm

Post by BNL »

Dead threads are nice to have and are a must have to be a good mod but they aren’t necessary to run a Mafia game.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Post by Nexus »

No. They are more often than not toxic and help to contribute to the toxicity of the site.
Trans rights are human rights.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 5, Nexus wrote:No. They are more often than not toxic and help to contribute to the toxicity of the site.
How so? I think the exact opposite is true. Players need a moderated place to discuss the game. I’d even argue it’s therapeutic and good for the site.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Dead threads are a fun place to shitpost. I’d argue, one of the highlights of playing mafia.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue May 07, 2019 10:47 pm

Post by Ramcius »

In post 6, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 5, Nexus wrote:No. They are more often than not toxic and help to contribute to the toxicity of the site.
How so? I think the exact opposite is true. Players need a moderated place to discuss the game. I’d even argue it’s therapeutic and good for the site.
yelling at gamethrowing idiots is toxic, calling them idiots is toxic, you should be nice to them
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 12:40 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 8, Ramcius wrote:
yelling at gamethrowing idiots is toxic, calling them idiots is toxic, you should be nice to them
Disagree. A dead thread is the only place to talk about an ongoing game you’re not in.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 12:41 am

Post by Creature »

I wished there were discord chats, but whatever.
Sigh
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 10, Creature wrote:I wished there were discord chats, but whatever.
+1

Yeah, that would be even better.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 12:44 am

Post by Creature »

Yes, it's toxic, but we eventually make up.
Sigh
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 12:44 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 12, Creature wrote:Yes, it's toxic, but we eventually make up.
Creature totally gets it. <3
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 12:58 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 9, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
Disagree. A dead thread is the only place to talk about an ongoing game you’re not in.
Yelling and calling people names is toxic, that's a fact, not an opinion to disagree. I just answered your question, but real question is how much toxicity is acceptable? Cause it's impossible sometimes to hold your emotion in games, where you spent a lot of your time and then you see someone else making waste of all your efforts
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 1:06 am

Post by Creature »

Society would be better if we could just yell at people for being idiots rather than pat them on the back.
Sigh
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 2:13 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 15, Creature wrote:
Society would be better if we could just yell at people for being idiots rather than pat them on the back.
True, but they have majority, so they dictate rules
themilkcartonkid
themilkcartonkid
Mafia Scum
themilkcartonkid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 2:46 am

Post by themilkcartonkid »

I think there is a way to teach someone to be better at the game but I don't think most people in general know how. Also, I think that people are more focused on their own game experience than the good of the person they are mad at. I think both of these things contribute to toxicity. That being said, sometimes someone needs a good yelling at to realize that they're actually doing something wrong. Also, people use "gamethrowing" and "playing against wincon" too liberally
ZOR TESTER
ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 3:06 am

Post by ZOR TESTER »

i've never understood why people feel entitled to a spectator thread (I basically never have them), but I do think dead threads tend to be valuable.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 3:26 am

Post by Xtoxm »

In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:get spoiled
i dont think this should be mandatory, mod's discretion for spoiling the dead thread is fine
i like to keep my dead guessing up to a point
i do enjoy the existence of dead threads in general
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
MaryJoLisa
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 am

Post by MaryJoLisa »

Has a mod actually refused to make you a dead thread when you asked?

And I don't agree with mandatory spoiling. Some people in the dead thread are still game solving and those spoiler tags are hard to resist.
The Oxford comma is only technically optional.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 9:54 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 6, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Players need a moderated place to discuss the game.
I agree with Nancy here. Having a place for dead players/players that didn't have time to join the game talk/vent about the game seems p good.

Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 11, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 10, Creature wrote:I wished there were discord chats, but whatever.
+1

Yeah, that would be even better.
Nothing is stoping you from doing this. Just sayin.

In post 18, ZOR TESTER wrote:i've never understood why people feel entitled to a spectator thread (I basically never have them), but I do think dead threads tend to be valuable.
Because 99% of mods have one and people are social creatures so they like to talk about things they were apart of.

In post 20, MaryJoLisa wrote:Has a mod actually refused to make you a dead thread when you asked?

And I don't agree with mandatory spoiling. Some people in the dead thread are still game solving and those spoiler tags are hard to resist.
imagine refusing to make a dead thread.

Mandatory spoiling is bad tbh.
Its a lot more fun to feed spoilers one by one tbh
GTKAS
| here.
ZOR TESTER
ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 2:37 am

Post by ZOR TESTER »

In post 22, Alisae wrote:
In post 18, ZOR TESTER wrote:i've never understood why people feel entitled to a spectator thread (I basically never have them), but I do think dead threads tend to be valuable.
Because 99% of mods have one and people are social creatures so they like to talk about things they were apart of.
Well right. But that's why I always have a dead thread. Spectators by their nature didn't take part in it.
MaryJoLisa
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 3:11 am

Post by MaryJoLisa »

I get something of value out of spectating because it helps me learn the game and talk to people about the techniques players are using to game solve. I also like the dead thread because if I'm still game solving and invested in the outcome of the game, I like speaking to like-minded people. It keeps me engaged when I would otherwise experience a sudden drop of activity.
The Oxford comma is only technically optional.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”