Spectate/Dead threads/DC ought to be mandatory

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 5:23 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 19, Xtoxm wrote:
In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:get spoiled
i dont think this should be mandatory, mod's discretion for spoiling the dead thread is fine
i like to keep my dead guessing up to a point
i do enjoy the existence of dead threads in general
In post 20, MaryJoLisa wrote:Has a mod actually refused to make you a dead thread when you asked?

And I don't agree with mandatory spoiling. Some people in the dead thread are still game solving and those spoiler tags are hard to resist.
Just to be clear, it was the actual existence of the spec/dead thread I argued to be mandatory, not the spoiling aspect. You can either ask the mod to use spoiler tags or pm them. Sometimes rarely, they’ve even made a 2nd thread for that.

@MJL I haven’t made any requests so I don’t know. I do recall at least one instance in the past, of this request being denied though.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 5:30 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 22, Alisae wrote:
In post 11, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 10, Creature wrote:I wished there were discord chats, but whatever.
+1

Yeah, that would be even better.
Nothing is stoping you from doing this. Just sayin.

In post 18, ZOR TESTER wrote:i've never understood why people feel entitled to a spectator thread (I basically never have them), but I do think dead threads tend to be valuable.
Because 99% of mods have one and people are social creatures so they like to talk about things they were apart of.

In post 20, MaryJoLisa wrote:Has a mod actually refused to make you a dead thread when you asked?

And I don't agree with mandatory spoiling. Some people in the dead thread are still game solving and those spoiler tags are hard to resist.
imagine refusing to make a dead thread.

Mandatory spoiling is bad tbh.
Its a lot more fun to feed spoilers one by one tbh
Well, if I ever mod a game, I would probably take full advantage of Discord and for more than just spec/dead thread. Krazy is a mod that does his best to maintain game involvement by all interested parties and utilizes both a spec/dead PT and a dead/spec DC as well. Using Discord also makes it really easy to set up both spoiled and unspoiled chats for those who want them, which is exactly what he did in Starcraft 2.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 5:31 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 21, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 6, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Players need a moderated place to discuss the game.
I agree with Nancy here. Having a place for dead players/players that didn't have time to join the game talk/vent about the game seems p good.
+1
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 5:33 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 18, ZOR TESTER wrote:i've never understood why people feel entitled to a spectator thread (I basically never have them), but I do think dead threads tend to be valuable.
Because you aren’t allowed to discuss ongoing games you’re not in, anywhere else.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
ZOR TESTER
ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Post by ZOR TESTER »

In post 28, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
Because you aren’t allowed to discuss ongoing games you’re not in, anywhere else.
It's not that I don't see the
appeal
of spectator threads. It's that I don't think people should feel entitled to it. So what if you can't talk about a game I run? Play in the game, replace into the game, or talk about it after. With the exception of Team Mafia (which I haven't run in ages), I run games for the players, not spectators. You are, of course, perfectly within your rights to make sure
your
games have spectator threads. Mod diversity is good.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 23, ZOR TESTER wrote:
In post 22, Alisae wrote:
Because 99% of mods have one and people are social creatures so they like to talk about things they were apart of.
Well right. But that's why I always have a dead thread. Spectators by their nature didn't take part in it.
oh you were referring to them as separate things
Gotcha
GTKAS
| here.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

go mod a game Nancy, I'll back you up and help you out.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 7:54 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 31, Nero Cain wrote:go mod a game Nancy, I'll back you up and help you out.
<3
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu May 09, 2019 8:38 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1, Nero Cain wrote:ppl barely post in them though.
Not in my experience; in my experience people make extensive use of them.
In post 5, Nexus wrote:No. They are more often than not toxic and help to contribute to the toxicity of the site.
Sorry, but that's backwards.

Having a dead thread gives you a healthy place to vent.
It is
far
less toxic in postgame with a dead thread, than it is without one. No dead thread, that pent up anger/emotion is all there, leading to heated postgame debates. Having a dead thread, that allows for the thoughts to be aired out and discussed gradually, over time, rather than unleashed all at once.

These two things having been said

While I personally will always make both a dead thread and a spoilered dead thread (which, I do confess,
is
a way to make sure
one
of the two is never used, but which of the two is unused varies game by game and
the other
sees EXTENSIVE use but I digress), they should in no way shape or form EVER be mandatory.

I feel they are fun, they are productive, they allow for games to have an extra layer of enjoyment both during
and
after the game; it's usually more fun to read the dead thread than it is to read mafia chat, and yet it is just as enlightening and informative quite often, with just as good insights.

But while I feel that they are immensely useful, they are not something which you NEED to have. They are a luxury, a commodity, not a given. We USUALLY have them, and I think they are GOOD to have, but if a mod chooses not to have one, that's their choice; so be it. They have the right to that choice, and there can be valid reasons not to have one, and there are some people who prefer not to have them, so mods can theoretically fill that niche if they so chose. (Granted, I think that those players preferring not to have them are being ridiculous, see above for my reasons why, but they have the RIGHT to that opinion/stance even if I think it's an absurd one to have.)
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 11:52 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Man, I seriously need to
yell at
kindly and gently reprimand some people. :cry:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”