Are hydras fun?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Are hydras fun?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Post by BNL »

Hydras are a concept in which two or more players play in a single slot at the same time. While many players on the site like to play as hydras, some players point out that this is cheating, as it allows a player to seek advice from another player, a point which I have since reconciled with.

If I think hydras are cheating, why do I still allow hydras to play in my games? Well, I see hydras as fun, both fun to play as and fun to play against, and I feel like the added enjoyment a hydra brings to games outweighs the marginal advantage of the hydra.

However, I do realize that not everyone sees it the same way as me. Some can't get over the cheating aspect of the hydra, while some find it annoying to deal with hydras and "hydra abuse" like signing issues and dissonance. This is why I'd like to know from the community if hydras are fun and your thoughts about it.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Post by Ramcius »

My main problem with them is that they are not single slot, but rather lovers - you get different reads from what should be same slot, you can't get answers sometimes, because it was other head who said something you want to discuss, it's especially problematic, when they don't sign posts and you have guess which one is posting. I don't see it as cheating, I don't care how many people are there or if people ask advices, but I want them to solve their differences between them in their thread or whatever and act as 1 slot in main thread
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 am

Post by Krazy »

Hydras have a pretty significant impact on replace-out rates, for the positive. Basically a hydra is a way to take a player that would otherwise probably risk afking, ragetilting out, or otherwise and having a pre-established replacement for the slot that is already caught up. I want to say something like 20% of hydras end up being single-player slots that simply maintains greater game integrity.

That being said the main drawback is that so many hydra players refuse to sign, which somewhat limits your ability to maintain game integrity imo, but on the whole I think the net effect is positive.
vote conspiracy
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 7:34 am

Post by popsofctown »

If we're gonna have a thread about hydras can someone explain/defend/oppose N slot hydra limits to me? I don't get those. Like, either you don't like hydras and you want your game to have zero hydras, or you think they're good, and you want all your slots to be hydras, right?
Head limits, that's different.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 8:04 am

Post by Ramcius »

Even if people dislike hydras, they can accept some of them in their games, they don't ruin game experience that much, most people aren't extreme to the point of "I don't want any hydra in my games"
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 8:04 am

Post by Nexus »

No
Trans rights are human rights.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 8:08 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 4, Ramcius wrote:Even if people dislike hydras, they can accept some of them in their games, they don't ruin game experience that much, most people aren't extreme to the point of "I don't want any hydra in my games"
So it's just modding to give players the second best possible experience instead of the best possible experience?
That doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 8:34 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 6, popsofctown wrote:
In post 4, Ramcius wrote:Even if people dislike hydras, they can accept some of them in their games, they don't ruin game experience that much, most people aren't extreme to the point of "I don't want any hydra in my games"
So it's just modding to give players the second best possible experience instead of the best possible experience?
That doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
It's more like trying to compromise - there are people, who like play hydras too, not only hydras haters
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 11:01 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 5, Nexus wrote:No
Can always be 100% counted to hold the exact opposite opinion of me. in everything possible.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 11:01 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, Krazy wrote:Hydras have a pretty significant impact on replace-out rates, for the positive. Basically a hydra is a way to take a player that would otherwise probably risk afking, ragetilting out, or otherwise and having a pre-established replacement for the slot that is already caught up. I want to say something like 20% of hydras end up being single-player slots that simply maintains greater game integrity.

That being said the main drawback is that so many hydra players refuse to sign, which somewhat limits your ability to maintain game integrity imo, but on the whole I think the net effect is positive.
+1
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 am

Post by Ankamius »

I think everybody who doesn't like hydras more hates bad hydras

I don't understand any other reason for hating hydras?

I've noticed over time that any town hydra generally has the same rough effectiveness as a solo player except for the
very
good hydras, which are often more fun to have in the game than without anyways.

There's an argument for scum hydras to have an imbalancing effect on the game since there's more heads to build strategies for winning the game, but even that's kind of muted and really just increases the skill level of a scum team, which requires town to be more skilled to counter it
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’ve so far, only had 2 that didn’t work out, so 100% pro-hydra and Krazy is 100% on point wrt to the replace out rate,
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Being in a hydra is fun most of the time
Being in a game with a hydra is fun (for me) about half the time
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 12:04 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I have never been in a game as a single player, resented having hydras in it and contrary to the op, I don’t see how it remotely constitutes “cheating”. Maybe if mafia were a serious sport with actual awards, then maybe but on any amateur site, that’s totally whack.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Rainn
Rainn
Goon
Rainn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Post by Rainn »

In post 3, popsofctown wrote:If we're gonna have a thread about hydras can someone explain/defend/oppose N slot hydra limits to me? I don't get those.
It's a question of tolerance.

Lots of hydras don't ever bother to sign their posts or have ~roughly~ consensus reads. It's very confusing to sort them sometimes, especially if they aren't very active. Often you need to:

- discover who is posting before trying to understand the post and that sometimes isn't discoverable at all

- look back in their ISO, distinguish between posts and understand from where their read progression is coming from

- ask about who posted X post, and etc

1 hydra like that? Well, fine, we need to have a bit of tolerance in life anyway.

2 hydras like that? Ehhh...that's a bit problematic.

3 hydras like that? Ok, /outing is a attractive option.

The problem isn't hydras itself at all, it's hydras that doesn't really care about being readable to the rest of the playerlist as much as they care about enjoying themselves. I mean, I'm fine with that but I definitely would be against playing with a lot of them that way. They are often even more obscure when they roll scum btw, often obfuscating posts and stuff just so that people won't be able to read them solidly.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

What about alts?
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

I've had a non-positive experience with hydra partners, but my favorite game since joining the site had a really fun hydra that helped make it my favorite game. They are a net positive imo.
<(") | (")>
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue May 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Post by Nexus »

In post 15, PenguinPower wrote:
What about alts?
Don't make me bring back the hashtag. I've worked out where the button is on my new laptop #####
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed May 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Post by Alisae »

I don’t sign my posts in hydras because my posting style is very identical to me so its easy to point out when I’m posting.
GTKAS
| here.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed May 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 17, Nexus wrote:
What about alts?
Don't make me bring back the hashtag. I've worked out where the button is on my new laptop #####
Remember when we had a hydra?

:shifty:
<(") | (")>
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Post by Nexus »

In post 19, PenguinPower wrote:
In post 17, Nexus wrote:
What about alts?
Remember when we had a hydra?

:shifty:
you swore you'd never tell
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu May 16, 2019 3:10 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I think hydras only really work when they're talking their reads over between themselves and acting as one voice in the main thread. Hydra dissonance is no real fun to play with/against.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Actually that's a good way to read a hydra imo. If the dissonance is detracting from their agenda it probably isn't a scum hydra
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am

Post by Creature »

They're difficult to keep up with considering I gotta log into another account to post in the game. If I could post straight from my main account while also dividing my slot with another player, then sure.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am

Post by Creature »

Actually, why tf do we need to create hydra accounts rather than just post individually?
Sigh

Return to “Mafia Discussion”