Tell me how not to hate mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:50 pm

Post by Ramcius »

How can it be compared to "competitive game", if teams aren't equal from the start and don't have same goals to achieve?
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:21 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I actually burnt myself out since Team Mafia. I think as long as you take a long break, you'll be able to come back if you want to. I think playing in one game is important especially if you engage with the thread a lot (either through interaction or over-reading). Don't be me and almost be in 5 games back to back. You could also just host a game, less stressful, but still have a game to read. I guess if you still like Mafia, then you should just take a break from it until you are ready to come back, and remember to deal with life since Mafia can distract us from it for a while. (Some of us, like myself)
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:14 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 198, Ramcius wrote:high quality mafia isn't as fun as you think
I've noticed that playerlist with almost only high tier players are generally shitfests.

The theory I have is because it's easier for players to convincingly come together when there's either already some slots that are easy to work with for multiple players or a weaker slot that is easier to read.

Rapport is kind of important for towns to function and having too many players that have both strong towngames and scumgames really nerfs how fast this can build at the best of times.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:55 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I have a lot of thoughts on this but I really don't think the issue is high quality mafia as much as just... people playing to imagined winconditions versus actual ones.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

If anything I think if top end mafia play was more competitive and more play to win you wouldn't have as much creating discord unnecessarily.

For all the bashing it gets to the point of being inherently called toxic I think winrate focused play creates a much healthier game environment than a world of wanting to be right on something special. I'm perpetually amused by self declared mediocre players performing better than people who think they're ~the shit~ because they approach the game differently.

I think part of the issue is that a lot of the 'canon' on who is good and who isn't is just dead wrong and tons of players who are huge bumps to town win equity in their games get ignored because they weren't sitting their screaming from the rooftops that someone was scum in their games and no one really cares about their role in retrospect.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 am

Post by Alyssa The Lamb »

ego in general is the problem.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 am

Post by Firebringer »

The more competitive the atmosphere the more ego ur going to get which is just gonna be more toxic

If u have plenty of people who are competitive and have their ego in check then it’s not an issue but that is a rare breed
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:20 am

Post by Firebringer »

I know for myself I can’t separate my ego from the game when I get competitive
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am

Post by Psyche »

in my experience the fastest skill gains in most hard domains come when you can someone play competitively without involving your ego
it's kind of a difficult mental state to get into though?
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I actually agree with Ank on this. From what I have seen.
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Post by SJReaver »

In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I really hate mafia and am seriously thinking about quitting the site. Somebody talk me out of it, kthanx.
Come up with a game set up that would be fun for you and ask someone to mod it.

Why do you really hate mafia?
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:12 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 206, Firebringer wrote:The more competitive the atmosphere the more ego ur going to get which is just gonna be more toxic

If u have plenty of people who are competitive and have their ego in check then it’s not an issue but that is a rare breed
So, should we scrap team mafia then, since it’s far more likely to attract ego based players than traditional games? I hear the league games are the most toxic of any games.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:17 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 201, Ranmaru wrote:I actually burnt myself out since Team Mafia. I think as long as you take a long break, you'll be able to come back if you want to. I think playing in one game is important especially if you engage with the thread a lot (either through interaction or over-reading). Don't be me and almost be in 5 games back to back. You could also just host a game, less stressful, but still have a game to read. I guess if you still like Mafia, then you should just take a break from it until you are ready to come back, and remember to deal with life since Mafia can distract us from it for a while. (Some of us, like myself)
In post 210, SJReaver wrote:
In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I really hate mafia and am seriously thinking about quitting the site. Somebody talk me out of it, kthanx.
Come up with a game set up that would be fun for you and ask someone to mod it.

Why do you really hate mafia?
I’m actually planning to mod a game in the very near future and it’s currently in the planning stages. I’m just really really lazy and nervous - it being my first time and all. I agree, don’t be overgamed and overcommitted, it’s the fasted way to get burnt out playing mafia.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:55 pm

Post by SJReaver »

In post 212, Nancy Drew 39 wrote: I’m actually planning to mod a game in the very near future and it’s currently in the planning stages. I’m just really really lazy and nervous - it being my first time and all. I agree, don’t be overgamed and overcommitted, it’s the fasted way to get burnt out playing mafia.
I too am lazy. Lazy players unite!

Maybe you could join a newbie game and focus less on winning and more helping your teammates develop their skills. When something gets unfun for me, connecting with people who are just getting into it and are in the honeymoon phase can help rekindle that joy.

Unless you're the type of player who hates bad teammates and ends up pulling your hair out in frustration. Then I'd focus on fixing that problem.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:17 am

Post by Wisdom »

Personally I just found out i wasnt having fun anymore so I stopped playing. I dont think it was the site's problem as i didn't try to play elsewhere; i just got tired of mafia i guess
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:08 am

Post by Nahdia »

hi wisdom!
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Post by the worst »

oh good to see you wisdom!
i hope not-mafia things are treating you well!
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’m truly convinced now that I play mafia
because
I’m a masochist.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:40 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 217, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I’m truly convinced now that I play mafia
because
I’m a masochist.
Just like everyone else - people start playing for fun, but stay to satisfy their masochism
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I actually think it’s this site maybe? because I never experienced this feeling of masochism on MU. But they have boring games and the days are far too short.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:54 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 219, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I actually think it’s this site maybe? because I never experienced this feeling of masochism on MU. But they have boring games and the days are far too short.
MU is different kind masochism :lol: I tried once, too short days, way too much spam to keep up
Tact is for liars and politicians.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:18 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 220, Ramcius wrote:
In post 219, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I actually think it’s this site maybe? because I never experienced this feeling of masochism on MU. But they have boring games and the days are far too short.
MU is different kind masochism :lol: I tried once, too short days, way too much spam to keep up
In my first game ever on there - was a mash with 12 hour days and nightless - I practically slept through the first two days and finally on D3, I managed to get a vote in shortly before deadline. only to be subsequently shot at. :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:29 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

It’s extremely frustrating playing with players who either act hypocritical wrt their play and/or seem to lack self-awareness of their playstyle.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Post by Guillotina »

How?

1) Never forget it is just a game.
2) When it becomes something more than just a game for you, stop, take a break and comeback when you miss playing the GAME.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:35 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 200, Ramcius wrote:How can it be compared to "competitive game", if teams aren't equal from the start and don't have same goals to achieve?
I would like your definition of competitive.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”