Question about balanced scum-town ratio for a specific setup

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Greeni
Greeni
Watcher
Greeni
Watcher
Watcher

Question about balanced scum-town ratio for a specific setup

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2019 12:30 am

Post by Greeni »

So yesterday I played this game for the first time (irl) and I want to do it again soon. But as I'm still a newb I'm not sure about the ratio of mafia to scum for a balanced (~ 50:50) game.

We are usually 7-15 people, and I like to play with 3 special roles:

- Detective (one check each round)
- Doctor (one protection each round, no successive protection of the same person)
- Vigilante (one shot per game)

(roles aren't revealed upon death)

How many mafia should we use to get a (fairly) balanced game? (yesterday we were 11 Players+mod and we had 3 Mafia and 8 townspeople, which seemed rather balanced)
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2019 1:45 am

Post by the worst »

Yay, welcome to mafia and to MafiaScum!!
Balance is an interesting one. To heavily simplify: at its core you need a list where town can mislynch a so-many times before the mafia makes up a majority. This is often done by determining if everyone used their night actions, lynched and mafia night-killed entirely randomly, how often would each team win?

For a really straight-forward application, have a look at this page.

In practice, the most common game sizes we use here would be about 2v7 or 3v10. Both of these are scum-sided assuming random lynches and nightkills, so town power roles can be implemented to set the balance back towards 50%. Then scum can be given powers to counter town powers, and so forth, as necessary.

Realistically any game size can be made to be balanced; if you have a look at that page I linked you'll get a rough idea of what I mean. :)

I'm not the greatest at balance and stuff; there are some super clever people here who regularly design and review open setups (all roles are known beforehand).

Do you have a particular setup you're thinking of?
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am

Post by popsofctown »

Face to face mafia is much more townsided than forum mafia. So 3 v 8 is probably is good or even townsided.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

F2f town advantage seems wiped out by the flipless game. Scum will probably keep a straight face if they go down. Bonus points if they go down hard.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri May 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

If you're cop head starting consider giving a special random green check on n0. Otherwise go to evens, 3 scum minimum.
(or start on day 1 for the crazies that actually like playing mafia. which is vastly overrated as being shot on n0 is the only way to play the game.)
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2019 7:12 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Unlimited Cop + 1-shot Vigilante + Indecisive Doctor (with all three roles known to exist, a fact that gives town a large advantage) is more power than we'd normally have for a 10:3. That means that the correct number of town is probably smaller, likely 9:3 or 8:3, maybe 7:3 (although even and odd numbers of players play out quite differently).

Giving scum a fourth member is often very hard to deal with, though. In that setup, I'd expect scum to have the edge at 11:4 (although 12:3 would be far too good for town). It might not be possible to balance it at all in the 14-15p range.

At the lower end of the range, 6:2 is probably townsided (but likely close to balanced), and 5:3 obviously scumsided. 6:3 is still going to be scumsided, so a 9p would have to be played at 7:2.

I guess I'd put the correct ratios as (5:2), 6:2, (7:2), (7:3), 8:3, 9:3, (10:3), (11:3), (11:4), with the bracketed setups being of dubious balance. (The issue with the 5:2 setup, by the way, is not that it has too much scum but that it has too large a proportion of power roles for an Open, meaning it's likely to end up solved via process of elimination at some point.)

BTW, I'm assuming that you reveal alignments upon a lynch, even though the roles aren't revealed on a nightkill. If alignments are kept secret too that's a noticeable advantage for scum and you'll need to change the numbers somewhat.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”