Competitive Compromise Coalition

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Hey, guys! I don't know where else to put this, so I feel Mafia Discussion is still the correct area. It's not Mafia, but like, it's obviously Mafia inspired and the targeted audience is players who like Mafia, so I like it here. Will probably run the eventual game thread in Mish Mash, and have a perpetual Spectator Thread for easy spectating.

League
Before I get deeper, I just wanted to gauge interest in a league like system for the game of Compromise. I have been going over this in my head of how I can make this work, and come up with some ideas, but I need the player base, obviously. These games are really short, and wouldn't take up much time, so I figured if they're easy to mod, easy to play, with a short commitment, I have no excuse to not try and test out what this game can do.

I would like to create an on-going League for this game, where I will host games and track stats for various Compromise games, and introduce this game to more players in hopes of making this the best possible game it can be. This will almost be like beta testing Compromise. Generally, this game is done in person, but I have hopes that it can transfer over to a Mafia-like forum based game as well, at least become a breath of fresh air kind of mini event games. I would essentially be running this multiple times per year, likely host multiple games per month, and track stats. I plan to also host special event like games every now and then, alongside potential "Unranked" and "Ranked" games, and potential tournaments, just to spice things up and give some appeal to all types of players.

Origin
As some of you probably know I created a game along with the help of former user Espressojet, called Compromise back in 2014. This game came about when we were trying to figure out a way of playing Mafia with 3 players. This game works phenomenally in Face 2 Face, and can be a real blast to just sit and play for hours. I've personally had multiple days in my life, where I've spent 10+ hours doing nothing but playing Compromise with a couple buddies.

Production
I'm currently in the process of creating a box set for Compromise, and looking to hopefully get this actually running and sold at some game stores, which I have already talked to a few game stores here in the Bay Area. I'll probably end up doing a Kickstarter or something in the next few months to get this rolling, alongside looking for an artist to help design some of the cards I want to create, but alas, that costs money, so yeah, that's my plan for this game.

Explanation
If you were a participant in my first BooneyToonz Extravaganza: LAST NIGHT TOMORROW, you will be familiar with Compromise. They were the BOONus Rounds. Every night of that game, players were chosen to participate in a Mini Game of sorts, which were basically different variations of Compromise. If you look into the links, every single room had slightly different setups or variations to Compromise. Rooms A, B, and C were extremely simple, but D really shows the depth of the game, and I can do much more with it. The great thing about this game is that the overly advanced seeming setups play exactly like the simplistic setups, and I'm really starting to test out what we can do with it. There's also room for a lot of flavor and theme within this, as I've played this game with everything, from my Mafiascum Mafia Cards, to Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and even a set of colored pebbles.

BOONus Room A
BOONus Room B
BOONus Room C
BOONus Room D

Now, the BOONus Rounds didn't accurately get to portray how this game is played due to the outside knowledge of each player's actual alignment, and the benefits of winning earning the victors a Modifier and Charge for their role, in addition to the allowance of gifting to other players, but here, none of that will take into play. Just good 'ol fashioned Compromise.

Why Is This Not Mafia?
Well, you see, Mafia, at its core, is an Informed Minority versus an Uninformed Majority. Team vs Team. Here, that is thrown out the window. This game is more focused on Individual Play rather than Team Play, and part of the game is figuring out who is on your team. That being said, this game is meant to be played multiple times in one session, as they are fast rapid fire games.

Compromise Mechanic
Another main difference in this game is the Compromise mechanic itself. I will explain the setup, and all of the possible roles and wincons in the next post, but the Compromise mechanic allows players to unanimously VOTE: Compromise, which has the game end immediately, and if all players are the same alignment, or alignments allowing shared wins, then everyone can obtain a victory! However, if not everyone is the same alignment, then the Compromise will fail, and the alignment in the minority wins. That's basically how that works, but there are some other ways to obtain a Successful Compromise, but I'll get into that in a later post.
Last edited by Flavor Leaf on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

The Base Setup

Now, I will not officially be using the names of these Mafia roles when playing Compromise, but explaining the game it's just going to be easier if I do, as a lot of roles will play similar, if not identical functions.

I essentially always use this setup when teaching new players how to play the game. Generally, this setup should only be played with 3 players, but technically you can throw 4 or 5 players in with it. While this setup can give you a lot of fun, and more of a purist kind of vibe, I personally like to move on from this extremely fast, especially if someone is already familiar with the game of Mafia.

Roles:

Spoiler:
Town Cop

Vanilla Townie

Vanilla Townie

Mafia Goon

Mafia Goon

• Rules:

• These rules are assuming there are 3 players in this game.
    • In this variation, there are a possible 5 roles. Only 3 will be in this game. You will not know which 3 roles, and you will not know who is on your team.
    • During Night 0, the cop, if it exists, will make their investigative result.
    • The game will then begin. You may basically do anything you want in this thread to try and figure out what the other players are. Claim Mafia when you’re Town. Then claim back to Mafia. Fake a Cop claim and investigative result. This is encouraged in this game, because this isn't technically Mafia, and as you play, you realize this WILL help you figure out reads. Do whatever you want. This is game is more Individual than Team orientated.
    • There is a chance that all 3 players are the same alignment. If you think this is the case, all 3 players must VOTE: Compromise. If all 3 players are the same alignment, then it was a successful Compromise. Everybody wins!!
    • However, if a Compromise goes through, and both alignments exist in the game, then whichever alignment only has a single player on it's team will be announced the winner.
    • You may also vote an individual player to a majority to lynch them. Whichever alignment the lynched player is on will be declared the losing team.
    • If you are all the same alignment, and you end up lynching someone, you all lose.
    • If you do not come to a decision before the night is over, you all lose.
Great, you've learned how to play Compromise. Games typically are over extremely fast, and you will establish meta in each game you play so it is highly encouraged to make a session out of it. This is why for League games, a game will consist of 5-10 rounds with the same players, and that will count as one game.

If you would like to play with 4 or 5 players, then do it. However, if that is the case, you will vote to kill off players BEFORE the Night 0 phase. These players do not have their alignments revealed, and they may still win once the game finishes, if their alignment is victorious. Night 0 happens whenever the game has dwindled down to 3 players, and no alignments are revealed until after that phase is over, whether it be by a Compromise vote, or someone is voted up.

As an added note, when playing in person, during the Night phase, everyone should close their eyes. Then depending if they are town or mafia, one by one, each player should put out their thumbs, and announce when they are doing it. Thumbs up if they are Town, and thumbs down if they are Mafia. The Cop may then choose to open their eyes for one player, and one player only, to check their thumbs. This makes the game easily played without the need for a moderator.

Adding a Godfather

The next addition to this game, and in theory, you'd only play a few rounds of the base setup before everyone understands the concept of Compromise, is to add a Mafia Godfather. Here is the updated role list.

Roles:

Spoiler:
Town Cop

Vanilla Townie

Vanilla Townie

Mafia Goon

Mafia Goon

Mafia Godfather

This changes the game dramatically, and in my opinion, is the setup that is the truest, purest form of Compromise. The Godfather, like in Mafia, will come off as Town to the Cop, if the Cop investigates said player. Adding the Godfather makes it so there is an equal amount of Town and Mafia players, meaning that in a 3 player game, there's an equal chance of all players being all Town, and all players being all Mafia. In either of these scenarios, the only way to win is to VOTE: Compromise. This also puts doubt on the Cop's investigation, which brings a fantastic layer to the game, alongside with the potential of having all 3 players claiming to be Mafia Goon, which generally effectively means they can't all be Mafia, which is awesome to have happen.

Again, you can play this with up to 6 players, but I advise capping this at 5 players to avoid that gross 3v3. Like before, and get this drilled into your brain, when playing with more than 3 players, nobody reveals their alignment when they die until after the final phase of the game. Night 0 takes play once 3 players remain.

Adding Supersaint or Innocent Child

Now to really start spicing this up. We will be adding the Supersaint and Innocent Child. You can add these roles in substitution for the cop, in rotation (either/or, but never both) for the cop, or just in addition to the cop.

Roles:

Spoiler:
Town Cop

Town Supersaint

Town Innocent Child

Vanilla Townie

Vanilla Townie

Mafia Goon

Mafia Goon

Mafia Godfather

Now you can play the "I'm the Supersaint, so you can't be a Cop" play, if you decide to do the either/or situation. Always fun. However, if you decide to add the roles, or at least one of the roles, this is where the game really starts getting interesting, as it works well with up to 6 players now. 4 players is probably the preferred amount of players, but 5 and 6 you can still have a blast with.

If you add all the roles, now you have more than 3 town, so you can start Compromising earlier. With 5 players, there is a chance you can all be town now, so if you think that is the case, feel free to VOTE: Compromise. If you all are town, great, that round is a Town Victory. I call this a "Perfect Compromise", as all players immediately won together with zero casualties. However, you have to watch out for this, because if not everyone is the same alignment, the minority will still win. If there are 4 town, and 1 mafia aligned player, a Compromise will give the victory to the Mafia. There is a funny thing that could happen here, where Mafia think they're the odd man out, but if you have 3 Mafia, and 2 town, and you go for the Perfect Compromise, the town win in that scenario.

Supersaint works a bit differently than other roles in this game however. If a Supersaint is ever voted to majority before the final 3 phase, instead of dying, they will survive, immediately have their alignment revealed, and the player who hammered them will die instead. Their Supersaint power then becomes inactive. That player will not have their alignment revealed. This is kind of a double edged sword sometimes because now everyone knows you're town, so if you get stuck as a flipped Supersaint with 2 Mafia aligned players, you just lose. If Supersaint is voted to majority in the Final 3, they will die, but also kill the player that hammered them. Whichever player is left alive wins the game for their alignment.

Innocent Child gets to reveal their alignment anytime they want, which can run into the same problem for them revealing, then the rest of the people are actually Mafia.

The Jester

You guys still with me? Awesome. We made it to our first 3rd party role, and for the most part, this will be the only 3rd party role out there for a bit. Jester wins when they are successfully voted to death.

Roles:

Spoiler:
Town Cop

Town Supersaint

Town Innocent Child

Vanilla Townie

Vanilla Townie

Mafia Goon

Mafia Goon

Mafia Godfather

Jester

This is where it gets a bit tricky. You can play the way Jester is investigated in a few different ways. You can have Jester always have thumbs up, aka town, always have thumbs down, aka mafia, or you can have their thumb sideways, aka investigates as Jester. You can also allow Jester to choose how they would like to be investigated, either as town or mafia. I personally think that is the best choice, followed by thumbs up, as sideways makes it extremely hard to win as Jester, and thumbs down makes it extremely easy to win as Jester. This should always be predetermined before the game starts, but it adds some variation to the game by changing it up every now and then.

Now, Jester has a weird mechanic when it comes to Compromising, and it's going to come off as confusing, but trust me, it works really well, and is necessary for the game to run smoothly. Jester can have a Joint-Win Compromise with the Mafia. This happens when all players are Mafia other than the Jester. This can happen with 4 players alive, because 2 Mafia Goons, a Mafia Godfather, and a Jester can win with a Compromise. There will be a point system given when I start up the official League with different point values for the different types of victories.

There's a situation where there is a Mafia, a Townie, and a Jester. Jester only wins with the Joint-Win Compromise, so a a Compromise here would be a group loss. However, Mafia and Town win by killing off the other, but a Jester is never going to vote to kill off one of them because they will immediately lose, so the Mafia and Town can perform a VOTE: Jester Lock Compromise. If 2 players vote for the Jester Lock Compromise, it will go through, and the 3rd player is immediately forced to vote for a Compromise. If that 3rd player is a Jester, then Mafia and Town can win together. This is also how 2 town players would win against a Jester. You have to be careful, though, because if you perform a Jester Lock Compromise, as 2 town, and the 3rd player is Mafia, since the 3rd player is forced to vote Compromise, that would be a way that someone can pull off a sneaky victory, as Mafia would win because they were in the minority. I know this is probably confusing, but as soon as this happens once or twice, it starts to make A LOT of sense.

The Third Faction

Surprised you've made it this far. Did that last bit confuse you? Well, let me ramp it up a bit. We're adding Werewolves now, the third alignment. We'll also thrown in a Town Seer for good measure.

Roles:

Spoiler:
Town Cop

Town Seer

Town Supersaint

Town Innocent Child

Vanilla Townie

Vanilla Townie

Mafia Goon

Mafia Goon

Mafia Godfather

Jester

Werewolf

Werewolf

Alpha Werewolf

Okay, so now we have 2 investigative roles. Seer is the same thing as Cop except they only find Werewolves, and Cops only find Mafia. If a Cop checks a wolf, that's a thumbs up, town result. If a Seer checks Mafia, same thing. Alpha Werewolf is the Werewolf equivalent of a Mafia Godfather, and will come across as town to Seers. Remember, there are no investigations until the Night 0 phase, which happens right before the Final 3. If you're playing in person, just do the checking of the thumbs part twice, the first round for Cop, the second round for Seer, and remember to place your thumbs accordingly.

Everything in this game is essentially the same as it was before, except now there's another alignment. The Jester Lock Compromise applies to Werewolves just like they were another faction, however Jesters CANNOT gain a Joint-Win Compromise with Werewolves. That is a Mafia-specific trait. This is actually my preferred setup, minus the Innocent Child, but it's okay to play around with roles. With the Innocent Child here, there is a chance that in a 6 player game, you could gain an ALL TOWN 6 PLAYER COMPROMISE. I call this the Ultimate Perfect Compromise.

In the Final 3, there is a chance that all 3 players are different alignments. You can have 1 town, 1 mafia, and 1 werewolf. The only way to win in this scenario is to VOTE: Compromise. I call this the Peace Treaty Compromise. If anyone is killed off, this is a group loss for Unnecessary Bloodshed. This only is successful in the Final 3. If you roll 2-2-2, and decide to Compromise with 6 players, that is still a group defeat. In that scenario, you can strategically kill off one of each alignment before moving on to the Final 3. This gives players the opportunity to try and outplay their opponents for solo faction victories.

There is now multiple scenarios where the winning alignment does not participate in the Final 3. For instance, Wolf-Jester-Mafia, if a regular Compromise goes through, this is technically a group defeat because it was supposed to be a Joint-Win Compromise, but Jester can't win that way with Wolves, and there is no minority. That means all alignments in the Final 3 lose, but town didn't lose here. Town win in that scenario. These are rare scenarios, but they happen.

That kind of scenario is more likely to happen outside of the Final 3. In a 5 player game where a Wolf dies first, you could be at 4 players remaining, and decide to attempt a Compromise. If 2 of the players are Mafia, and 2 of the players are Town, there is no minority, so that would be a group defeat on their part, so Wolf alignment wins. There are different variations of this, but it all boils down to the same thing. Can't win on a Compromise if all alignments are equal, bar the Peace Treaty Compromise, which is only available in the Final 3 anyways.

Innocent Delinquent and Innocent Werewolf Pup

Okay, the hard part is over. If you've made it here, you're good. You won't ever be confused again. All the base mechanics of the game are done. Let's add some more roles.

Roles:

Spoiler:
Town Cop

Town Seer

Town Supersaint

Town Innocent Child

Vanilla Townie

Vanilla Townie

Mafia Goon

Mafia Goon

Mafia Godfather

Mafia Innocent Delinquent

Jester

Werewolf

Werewolf

Alpha Werewolf

Innocent Werewolf Pup

Simple. You get Mafia Innocent Delinquent and Innocent Werewolf Pup. They act exactly the same as the Town Innocent Child except for the Mafia and Werewolf alignments respectively. That's it. Like always, you have to be careful when revealing your roles, though, because it could hard backfire on you. I think Innocent roles are fun to change things up, but I believe the main setup is this, but take out all the Innocent roles.

Conclusion

So you made it through, eh? Good for you. Let's see if you can apply your social deduction skills into it now. That's the real challenge. These were just the rules. I look forward to running this league in the near future.
Last edited by Flavor Leaf on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:35 am, edited 10 times in total.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Reserved, just in case, you know?
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Who knows, might need this too.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

let's do one more now that I think about it, but maybe this is overkill.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Post by the worst »

quack (ego)
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 am

Post by chennisden »

meow
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 am

Post by Iconeum »

Would buy this
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
#Town!Ico.never.does.that.
"paying to play mafia is like paying someone to punch you in the face" ~ Datisi
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:38 am

Post by singletonking »

This could be run in mish mash
On indefinite hiatus from playing Mafia.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:23 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 10, singletonking wrote:This could be run in mish mash
Yeah, I figured that would be the best place to physically run the games. I kind of thought I'd use the same thread for all the games, and potentially have like a Compromise Arena, so people can spectate easily.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:00 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Finally finished the setup write up, which effectively is the rules for the game.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:45 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

ooo

I'm a graphic designer fwiw
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:20 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

oo, nice. We might have to make some sort of business proposition then, haha.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am

Post by Ircher »

Was Conspiracy invented before or after you came up with this? Either way, I'd be interested in playing.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:30 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I'm pretty sure Conspiracy is pretty old. I'd never heard of it prior to posting this thread.
emps
emps
Mafia Scum
emps
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:21 am

Post by emps »

ego
"I guess gay erotic fanfics are the key to healthy game discussion." -HoldenGolden
"making friends is dangerous emps. always be on guard." -the worst
"Children are sticky." -MaryJoLisa
"What if a guy and a girl meet online, and then face to face, and have children. Are their kids real?" -MaryJoLisa
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Boon Wars, which is currently running, has a finale that will get to showcase the mechanics of this, so once the finale starts, people can spectate if they would like to see this game in action. I'll start the official League once that ends.
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:35 am

Post by Iconeum »

/Pre in
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
#Town!Ico.never.does.that.
"paying to play mafia is like paying someone to punch you in the face" ~ Datisi
NotMySpamAccount
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:28 am

Post by NotMySpamAccount »

/pre-in
Show
Town: 6-5
Scum: 2-1
3p: 0-1

"NMSA called out all three of us as scum or null in his reads list. Good thing no one's actually reading that." -Enter
"NMSA was at least a pretty easy mislynch that I didn't have to get my hands dirty to attain" -RC

Indefinite/permanent v/la
Fearlesspancake
Fearlesspancake
Townie
Fearlesspancake
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 am

Post by Fearlesspancake »

Necroposting because I love this idea and want to play it IRL but I have a question:

How do you settle ties? E.g. in a 4-player game with two players claiming Town and two claiming Mafia. I imagine this is rare anyways since the format seems to encourage lying.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:08 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 21, Fearlesspancake wrote:Necroposting because I love this idea and want to play it IRL but I have a question:

How do you settle ties? E.g. in a 4-player game with two players claiming Town and two claiming Mafia. I imagine this is rare anyways since the format seems to encourage lying.

There’s a lot of different plays you can do.

If you have the werewolves in, you can easily say, as Mafia,

“Alright, I’m actually a werewolf. So we have 1 mafia, 1 wolf, 2 town, let’s kill one of the town, and then Compromise so we all can win.”

This game plays a lot with Claim Changing, and that’s a strong basis for garnering reads.

With 4 players, the firs player after being killed DOES NOT FLIP, so you have to analyze what you think they were even after killing them.
Boonskiies
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
That's Not All, Folks!

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Post by Boonskiies »

The end of Boon Wars is here, and it’ll mark the beginning of the CCC.
"Let it be known that almost everything Boonskiies said is either hilarious or annoying." - Shinobi

Yes, I'm
Flavor Leaf
. That's my main; I just mod on
Boonskiies

Return to “Mafia Discussion”