Is it bad to lynch truly randomly during RVS?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Leucosticte
Leucosticte
Townie
Leucosticte
Townie
Townie

Is it bad to lynch truly randomly during RVS?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:04 am

Post by Leucosticte »

Your choices at that stage are, (1) No Lynch, (2) Random lynch, or (3) Lynch based on arbitrary non-random factors.

People say it's frowned upon to, say, roll dice to make a truly random D1 lynch choice, because then the votes don't reveal anything about people's allegiances.

My thought about that was, on the other hand, if you let someone give some arbitrary justification, e.g. "avatar bias," for a D1 lynch, then that could make the lynch more susceptible to influence by scum, since at that stage of the game, usually scum will be the most-organized faction.

So it's a question of, do you want to gain some information about who the scum might be, in exchange for giving scum a chance to cause a mislynch of their choice. Are you really getting very good information, though, or could it just be that some misguided villagers are mislynching on their own initiative, essentially taking a trip to Abilene together? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox

If you propose a truly random lynch, the argument you'll often get is in response is, "We're more likely to lynch town than scum if we do that, so we may as well No Lynch if we're lacking any intel." People would prefer to wait till maybe another day has passed and it's possible to see which people are falling into the lurker category. Also, they figure town's investigative roles may be able to subtly steer the vote in a certain direction even without claiming.

Another common argument is, "If we try to lynch on D1, we may end up forcing someone to claim who should've stayed undercover." On subsequent days, there's a stronger possibility that if those investigative roles haven't claimed yet, the reason is that they're dead, rather than that they haven't gathered any useful info, so people are more inclined to force a claim.

Either way, you want to look at the options longitudinally, and consider not just the immediate effect of the decision but how it's going to affect the next day, and the day after, etc.
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:58 am

Post by chennisden »

Nobody random lynches

Also nightkills have flips (vt/pr)
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:38 am

Post by OkaPoka »

If u look at newbie stats, town has lynched scum at a greater than random chance
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:28 am

Post by Ankamius »

Lynch the slot with the highest information attached to their flip that simultaneously has >=rand odds of being scum
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:30 am

Post by chennisden »

No

"Information lynching" is a really easy way to get manipulated by scum
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:30 am

Post by Ankamius »

You want both chenn
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:33 am

Post by chennisden »

I know

If you info lynch scum just has to manipulate their mislynch into giving info which is... really not that hard

I get the idea that "if there's gonna be something that shocks us out of town's wrong read of the gamestate it needs to be sooner than later" but you can just try to read the gamestate instead of wasting a flip

Info flipping gives scum more people that are viable mislynches.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:39 am

Post by Ankamius »

I think we are thinking of information differently

I am more thinking of lynches that are more informative for your own reads rather than raw information about the game

If you're just blindly looking to lynch your top scumreads without really thinking about it, you're stuck once you're wrong since you aren't thinking about the game as a whole and how the flips read into it

Generally when I have multiple scumreads, I try to lynch the slot that has the most reads attached to that scumread rather than whatever one is my strongest scumread because it is the flip most likely to result in correct reads down the line no matter how they flip
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 am

Post by chennisden »

I like to assume SR is town and see where I'd go from there

But once I start assuming SR is town i kinda see that they are
actually
town but town is just too deathtunneled on SR, which ends up being my fault

In fact I think that's like, the only way I've lost games
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:52 am

Post by Ankamius »

Mafia is really just an information game where you really just need a specific amount of outside (relevant) information to solve the game

Skill just means you need less of that information

I like to play to get as much of that information as possible for myself so I can get other town the information they need to reach the right answer too

Scum flips are useless by themselves and that's a huge reason I don't like D1 scumflips
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:01 am

Post by chennisden »

d1 scumflips can be achieved without scum bussing/scum being forced to bus

i think the reason people remember d1 scumflips as "bad" is because if the scumteam topples like dominoes you just remember it as "scum sucked" or "wow town op"

but in games like gay dance or fire on the mountain you remember "well the weaker scumbuddy fell d1 but we got no INFO so the SCUMTEAM TRAMPLED" when the real difference is just in one case the weaker scummember has no good scumbuddy and the other case is that the weaker scummember gets that fat carry
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:03 am

Post by Ankamius »

Yes I rarely ever see a close game with a scum lynch d1

Occasionally scum topples but most of the time the rest of the scumteam stomps

I've done it multiple times
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:28 am

Post by Vi »

honestly, no
I'd argue that town accuracy tends to be lower than random in many games that don't have D1 wackiness (i.e. themes)
keep in mind that times may have changed since my "data set" was compiled

that said this theory question tends to be what ends RVS
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 12, Vi wrote:honestly, no
I'd argue that town accuracy tends to be lower than random in many games that don't have D1 wackiness (i.e. themes)
keep in mind that times may have changed since my "data set" was compiled
according to the newbie 2d3 stats town lynches scum greater than random day one

from my own data on the 2018 normal games, scum was lynched day 1 10 times out of 33 games (~30%) when i think at random given 3:10 it'd be ~23%. keep in mind this might be a bit off given that not all games were 13 players

(interestingly, in both the newbie setup and what i have, town seems lynch about 7% better than random. another random fun fact from normal games – out of the 23 games that weren't already over on day 4, scum was lynched an incredible
16 games
! that's nearly 70%!)
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

You can random vote during RVS but you should at least try to lynch whomever you think is the scummiest player.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

RVS is the best part of the game and if you disagree you're a cunt
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”