Should every game have a day lurker vig?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Should every game have a day lurker vig?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:06 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’m referring of course
specifically
, to players who sign up for games and either require repeat prodding or outright flake on most of their games.

Obviously, players on V/LA and/or actually can’t help the reason for their lack of participation, would be immune from this.

I think games would be a lot better and more fun, if most mods had this mechanic in their games because it either winds up dragging down most games and forces mods to request replacements.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:58 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

No
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:07 am

Post by Something_Smart »

It might be a good idea for more mods to adopt Kmd's rule, which is something like "you can't join this game if you've been replaced for inactivity in the past year." Maybe soften it to "more than once," or put some condition on the percentage of games you've lurked out of.

I would bet that among site-active players (i.e. ignoring siteflakes), it's something like an 80-20 situation-- 20% of players cause 80% of replacements.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:58 am

Post by Oversoul »

Llamafluff ran a multi ball game where one of the scum factions could only kill the lowest posters of the day. I thought that was neat.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:43 am

Post by The Fonz »

I've seen a few rule sets designed to make towns deal with lurkers.

Some disallowed replacements. One gave scum a bonus kill if a scum player managed to lurk beyond certain parameters, and made this parameter known to town.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:49 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, Something_Smart wrote:It might be a good idea for more mods to adopt Kmd's rule, which is something like "you can't join this game if you've been replaced for inactivity in the past year." Maybe soften it to "more than once," or put some condition on the percentage of games you've lurked out of.

I would bet that among site-active players (i.e. ignoring siteflakes), it's something like an 80-20 situation-- 20% of players cause 80% of replacements.
Yeah, they sign up for games but feel no responsibility to be at all active and take up spots from more active players.

I think a lurker vig would greatly discourage this type of behaviour. I hear people talk about policy lynching a lot in games but you don’t want to really waste your one chance to lynch on a lurker, especially when there’s actually scummier slots to consider.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:59 am

I mean, that kinda just removes lurkers from the game indiscriminate of their role which can unbalance the game really easily.

I think the fairest way to combat games with lurkers is to have certain games that lurkers aren't allowed to join.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:02 am

Post by popsofctown »

On the one hand the players who triple-prod -> replace-out of games are probably a small identifiable group that could just theoretically be barred at the signups step, where ingame mechanics don't need to make any compromises to.
On the other hand mafiascum leadership has always opposed collective blacklisting/public blacklisting for understandable reasons.

Back in the good ol' days I seem to remember lots of players who would actually post every single day and nothing they ever said even feigned being alignment indicative so you just have to lynch them or not lynch them whatever. I don't see that nowadays, so that at least is nice I guess.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:04 am

I mean mods are free to impose restrictions on who can join their game; public blacklisting if done for personal reasons can cause conflict but basing it on an objective criterion such as this shouldn't be a problem.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:08 am

Post by popsofctown »

My understanding is that if you made a thread listing all the players on the site and their prod/replace history so people could use it to reject /in's the site mods would be against that and lock/delete it, no matter how objective it was, although I like the idea of such a thread.
Last edited by popsofctown on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:11 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 6, Something_Smart wrote:I mean, that kinda just removes lurkers from the game indiscriminate of their role which can unbalance the game really easily.

I think the fairest way to combat games with lurkers is to have certain games that lurkers aren't allowed to join.
How would you control that? WOTM on repeat lurksacks?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:14 am

Sort of, yeah. Have a rule that players signing up who have been replaced for activity more than once in the past year will be rejected (or something to that effect). You wouldn't have to keep a running list, pops, you could just check people on a case-by-case basis.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:14 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 7, popsofctown wrote:On the one hand the players who triple-prod -> replace-out of games are probably a small identifiable group that could just theoretically be barred at the signups step, where ingame mechanics don't need to make any compromises to.
On the other hand mafiascum leadership has always opposed collective blacklisting/public blacklisting for understandable reasons.

Back in the good ol' days I seem to remember lots of players who would actually post every single day and nothing they ever said even feigned being alignment indicative so you just have to lynch them or not lynch them whatever. I don't see that nowadays, so that at least is nice I guess.
Some games on MU require you to make a minimum of X game-related posts per day but I think that kind of goes to far in the other direction.

I think allowing hydras also cuts down on this. I’ve seen very few extremely inactive hydras in general.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:19 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 11, Something_Smart wrote:Sort of, yeah. Have a rule that players signing up who have been replaced for activity more than once in the past year will be rejected (or something to that effect). You wouldn't have to keep a running list, pops, you could just check people on a case-by-case basis.
It seems like it would take a very long time per user to obtain this info.

And this info doesn't help with players like <redacted>, who slowly post less and less, get prodded once or twice, then take the prod as a sign they didn't care about their commitment in the first place, and request a replace out, and therefore were not "replaced for inactivity"

That's why I think a prod tally is needed. Lots of generally active players get a prod here and there though, so you need the full extent of the data to get an accurate picture.
"Well, I..."
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:22 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 8, Something_Smart wrote:I mean mods are free to impose restrictions on who can join their game; public blacklisting if done for personal reasons can cause conflict but basing it on an objective criterion such as this shouldn't be a problem.
There really should be one because it just isn’t fair to the active players who really want to play but we can’t do anything until lurker prods.

Maybe instead of 3 lurker prods with a 48 hr lapse, change it to 2 prods with a 72 hr lapse. So you get more leniency on time but only get 2 instead of 3 prods. I really don’t see why lurkers who don’t go V/LA should get more than 2. You can make the mistake once but you shouldn’t get more than 2 chances and with a 72 hr lapse time there would really be no excuse.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:03 am

Post by Nero Cain »

in one of RC's upick games I made myself a lurker vig where I could only vig players with low post counts. That should be a role.

downside is that ppl fluff it up to avoid a lurker vig shot.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:26 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

This tends to be more of an issue in smaller games, where the lurkers actually harm the integrity of the game.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 am

Post by The Fonz »

In post 12, Nancy Drew 39 wrote: I think allowing hydras also cuts down on this. I’ve seen very few extremely inactive hydras in general.

Sure, hydrae don't often lurk themselves, but they can make others lurk because they're annoying to deal with.
tictac
tictac
Mafia Scum
tictac
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:20 am

Post by tictac »

36/48h lapse means "post every day", but there is enough room than people don't need to be online at the same time every day.
72h lapse means "post every other day" and leads to way lurkier games in general -> leads to people losing interest and flaking.

As someone who has flaked out of a few games, I'd say it's way better to be in a routine of posting every day and not being able to tell myself:"eh, I can skip a day, and nothing bad will happen".
36h timer being standard would probably be a good thing IMO. As would some kind of automated prodding, so the amount of prods is not so mod-dependent.

I don't think the amount of allowed prods affects much, as long as it's not a large number.
I have never been prodded on purpose, and I don't think many people have.
Having that asterisk at the end of my name in the playerlist is a mark of shame, and already works as a motivator at least as well as threat of being replaced would.
2 prods overall would likely just lead to more replaces, which is not a good thing IMO.

Scaling by game-length would probably make sense.
2 prods in a same game-day should probably always mean a replace, cause it would mean no attempt to correct the behavior.
1 prod on day 1 and another on day 6 does not indicate a pattern of lurking IMO.

Using vigshots for lurkers is just good vig-play. I dunno why it would need to be mechanically enforced.
That way fluffing it up doesn't actually prevent you from getting shot.
The problem is that sometimes vigs don't play sensibly, but that
should
have negative consequences IMO.

side note: I dunno why the convention on hydrae is that they post from a shared account. Having them post from different accounts would make dealing with them way easier.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:43 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 18, tictac wrote:Using vigshots for lurkers is just good vig-play.
I agree for the most part but everyone wants to make that hero vig shot and it's not like all lurkers are scum. I think the town has just as much responsibility in lynching lurkers as a vig does in shooting them.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

tictac
tictac
Mafia Scum
tictac
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:36 am

Post by tictac »

Probably true that everyone wants to hero-shoot, but does that actually make it a good idea? Pretty sure people trying to do it loses more games than wins them.
It's not like all lurkers are town either tho. It's often possible to hero-shoot in the lurker-pool.

Agree that town bears
some
responsibility in lynching lurkers, but not just as much.
wagon on town-lurker is pretty low info if it's not a counter to something, so better to have that person vigged if the possibility exists.
CFD/consolidation on a lurker is often a good way to prevent a lynch on a TR tho, and day1 lurker policy is often a good idea, even if it rarely ever actually happens.
Nibbui
Nibbui
Mafia Scum
Nibbui
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:14 am

Post by Nibbui »

the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:11 am

Post by the worst »

In post 18, tictac wrote:36h timer being standard would probably be a good thing IMO
:D
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:46 am

Post by Pine »

"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Says a bunch of lurkers that would get shot by a lurker vig. lo

Return to “Mafia Discussion”