Quickhammers based on Incorrect VCs

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Quickhammers based on Incorrect VCs

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Post by Alisae »

This actually happened to me while I was modding my micro that just finished. I don’t exactly know if I’m stupid for asking this, but what is the correct thing to do if you post an incorrect VC and then a hammer results from that incorrect VC?
A. (What most mods are probably going to answer) Flip the slot anyway. (Also, this is what I did because its the “safe” thing to do. I don’t feel like risking my game on the other option when I don’t exactly have a 2nd opinion on it, and I don’t really want to inconvenience my players by having them wait 24 hours just to ask this stupid question if its stupid)
B. Fix your votecount and reset the current votecount to match that votecount.

See, I honestly feel like B is the correct thing to do. A player shouldn’t have to be keeping track of the votes, its simply not their job. Flipping the slot because you fucked up a VC is kinda a dick move to the player because they made the play that they did because your VC was incorrect, and they thought it was correct.

So why does A happen?
Is it because they don’t want to spew any slot any alignments? My issue with that is that if your VC was correct, that hammer wouldn’t have happened on the first place. If your VC was incorrect, then good job, you as a mod impacted your game by creating a gamestate that would not have existed if your VC was correct if you decide to flip that slot.
Is it because it could potentially ruin a scum quick hammer? My issue with that is scum shouldn’t be exploiting a mod’s mistake to get an advantage.

Idunno, am I stupid?
Lets talk about this.
GTKAS
| here.
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:06 am

Post by Wooper »

Sorry, Fred the Duck.

Still think A is the right call. I can't really justify it at a deeper moral level tbh. I get that it's part of the moderator role to post vote counts and stuff. I just also think it's not unreasonable for someone voting in such an advanced wagon to check that they aren't accidentally lolhammering (or maybe they are~~?)

In an ideal world minor mod errors shouldn't happen but like. Even with automated votecounts errors still happen. Similar (but more nuanced) issue to "should votes for misspelled players count?" - like, the intention was for that vote to be there. so yeah.

just my two cents anyway. I was also the lolhammerer in question and got a bit of flak for it ingame, but I think Ali made the better call. :P interested for more onions.

edit:
In post 0, Alisae wrote:Idunno, am I stupid?
Wooper.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:21 am

Post by Pine »

It’s a crappy situation either way. I feel like I WANT to say post the new VC with a 12-hour “are you sure”? window, but that’s outright not fair to someone making a move. That said, having an “Is that your final answer” period might be an
interesting
awful idea for a game
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:40 am

Post by Alisae »

Pine this is about accidental quick hammers that happen
as a result
of a mod error, not quick hammers in general.
GTKAS
| here.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:09 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Never trust a given vote count. It is the players responsibility to know where the votes are, yes vote counts should be accurate, but unless you've double checked yourself, don't go near the potential hammer if you don't want that person lynched there and then.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:28 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 4, Cheery Dog wrote:Never trust a given vote count. It is the players responsibility to know where the votes are.
A. Its a mod's responsibility to provide vote counts. Saying that its a player's responsibility to track votes doesn't make sense to me. Its a job that the mod has to do. It should be something that you can trust. Saying "Hey, its a mod's duty to provide vote counts, but also you should never ever ever trust said vote count" doesn't make sense. Like, actually think about that for like, 5 minutes. Maybe you'll realize within those 5 minutes that that sounds stupid.
B. I'm not exactly sure why you read MD when you don't play mafia, or only post in MD to tell people not to play mafia :/
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:45 am

Post by Alisae »

everything after a vc?
that is the player's responsibility to keep that stuff in mind until a mod posts another VC.
everything before a vc?
A player shouldn't have to worry about.
GTKAS
| here.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:38 am

Post by Something_Smart »

I think the best solution here is to add a rule to your ruleset in effect specifying B. If you don't have such a rule, doing B is changing the rules during the game which is mod interference, but I agree that A is a situation that should be avoided.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:41 am

Post by Ramcius »

Always B

People usually know how close they are to lynch and they play accordingly, so they shouldn't be punished for playing right and someone being cheeky to try quickhammer. Long term correct play > cheeky gambit
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 am

Post by Oversoul »

I really don't understand the overall point of this question. If a voting threshold has not been reached, it has not been reached. If it has, it has. Whether or not there is a VC does not impact that fact.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:33 am

Post by Jingle »

Always A.

Now, if the issue is that you fucked up the VC, thought there was a hammer and flipped someone prematurely, then, yeah, you kinda have to kill the slot that is now revealed.

As an aside, I take a less strict stance of Cheery's opinion, in that a player is partially responsible for checking their own vote in a votecount. I am fallible. I make mistakes copying and pasting votes. Votecounters do the same thing, (although to a lesser extent). If you ever play a game of mine, I encourage you to point out mistakes I make with votecounts because if I made the mistake in the first place odds are I won't catch it, and the easiest way to do this is to make sure your own personal vote is reflected accurately in the votecount.

Edited because I didn't understand the question. :facepalm:
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:36 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 2, Pine wrote:“Is that your final answer” period might be an interesting awful idea for a game
Monty Hall Mafia?

Hmm... This could have potential.
This is a Parachute.
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Post by Wooper »

Everyone Has One Bullet And One Governor Shot And Nobody Has Any Rope (Or Happiness)
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Post by Jingle »

And Also the Governor Shots Don't Do Anything Because There's No Lynch.
This is a Parachute.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:39 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 13, Jingle wrote:And Also the Governor Shots Don't Do Anything Because There's No Lynch.
It does - it makes you feel better, because you're governor and not some pleb
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:46 am

Post by popsofctown »

I lean A but it seems hard

You could run games where you require hammer votes to say VOTE: popsofctown,
even if it's a hammer
, and don't honor votes that would be a hammer if they are missing the disclaimer, in combination with a policy of A. That rule is agnostic to the incorrect VC itself, but incidentally prevents the issue.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:47 am

Post by popsofctown »

Or maybe like some kind of brand new BB code feature that summons SXTLGaiden to post a gif of a hammer alongside your vote, and the vote can't hammer people with out that.

Miss that guy.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:27 am

Post by Ramcius »

Wait, wait, it was accidental hammer and not quickhammer? I guess I misread too, cause when I see quickhammer, I assume someone intentionally hammered without waiting other people to agree to it

In that case def B, reset votes and let people vote again and they can reach majority again, if that was their actual intention. I don't see how accidental hammer might spew anything, putting non hammer vote on someone isn't condemning or anything, it's intentional hammering that brings attention on you
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 15, popsofctown wrote:I lean A but it seems hard

even if it's a hammer
, and don't honor votes that would be a hammer if they are missing the disclaimer, in combination with a policy of A. That rule is agnostic to the incorrect VC itself, but incidentally prevents the issue.
what about votes where you've previously posted
Intent to hammer
?

I'd say A is correct because B is capricious modding imo. Though A with that rule isn't capricious modding and is thus fine.
time will end
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 18, TemporalLich wrote:
In post 15, popsofctown wrote:I lean A but it seems hard

even if it's a hammer
what about votes where you've previously posted
Intent to hammer
?

I'd say A is correct because B is capricious modding imo. Though A with that rule isn't capricious modding and is thus fine.
Sure, six of one, half a dozen of the otehr
"Well, I..."
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:14 am

Post by Ankamius »

B.

If you're in a position where you are looking to quick hammer when given an opportunity, it's very foolhardy NOT to keep track of the votes yourself. If you're going to be fooled by an incorrect VC, then it's a good lesson for you.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:18 am

Post by popsofctown »

VOTE: Ankamius
"Well, I..."
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Post by Alisae »

I feel like there's an overwhelming response of people saying A because that's just a thing thats been ingrained into the modding culture, but they're not really considering the mod error part. You posted a wrong vc. Someone was hammered because you made a wrong vc. To me, it only makes sense that you reset the votes since a decision was made based on your mod error. You shouldn't be penalizing the players because you aren't doing your job correctly.

If anything, Ramicus' response is the one I like the most, but maybe I'm biased?
Like I'm not really seeing anyone saying why A is the best course of action.

Either way, if I fuck up a VC in the future and it results in a hammer, I am probably just going to reset the votes to the last vc.
GTKAS
| here.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 11, Jingle wrote:
In post 2, Pine wrote:“Is that your final answer” period might be an interesting awful idea for a game
Monty Hall Mafia?

Hmm... This could have potential.
Wait has this been done before? Because this but unironically
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Post by Micc »

This situation is one of my biggest fears as a moderator. If possible I want to rewind back and correct the bad vote count and disallow any votes made since that point. That's the solution where your error is going to have the smallest impact on the game overall. Unfortunately the rewind will cause some amount of information to have been created that otherwise wouldn't exist. As a moderator, you have to try and determine if that information compromises any of the players' role/alignment. If it does, then the rewind is probably a more disruptive fix than following through with the lynch as it happened.

Using Alisae's game as an example, I don't think there was any compromising information so I would have rewound the vote count. If for example a player claimed a town PM and another player immediately swept in for what they thought was a hammer vote, I'd think that the player dropping the hammer had their alignment compromised as scum sacrificing themselves to secure the lynch of a town PR. For something like that the rewind would be more disruptive than letting the lynch stand (regardless of the hammer's actual alignment).

These situations are tough. I'd recommend consulting with a listmod for any amount of uncertainty in how to proceed, especially when things come down to determining if compromising information has been released or not. That determination is generally easier to make for someone who does not know players' alignments or the context of the situation, which is a disadvantage you'll have as the game mod.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo

Return to “Mafia Discussion”