The Never Bus Claim

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Zenith
Zenith
Goon
Zenith
Goon
Goon

The Never Bus Claim

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:01 am

Post by Zenith »

If I were to claim that I Never Bus, would I breaking any rules? To me, it seems borderline trust tell. So maybe it could help to take a closer look?

What would be the pros and cons of a Never Bus meta?
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:13 am

Post by Ramcius »

As I see it, you can claim it all you want, people are already doing that in games, but don't turn it into trust tell. Claiming something is ok, asking people to believe your claim, because of your actions in past games is borderline trust tell
Zenith
Zenith
Goon
Zenith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:22 am

Post by Zenith »

What the difference in having a meta for never bussing, and claiming, "I never bus" vs "I never bus, believe me."
Isn't the believe me part kind of implied just by making the claim? Also having the meta to back the claim?
Zenith
Zenith
Goon
Zenith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:26 am

Post by Zenith »

I've seen more than one idea about what a trust tell is. Is there some strict definition somewhere of what a trust tell is, with like requirements and such to be considered a trust tell, for the purpose of identifying if a specific play is allowed or not? Like specifically with the I Never Bus meta?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:47 am

Post by Something_Smart »

From the wiki:
A trust tell fits both of the following criteria:

The player insists that they only do this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.
The player, over the course of multiple games, only does this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.
Claiming to never bus is tricky, because that's not an action you can intentionally choose to take as town.

However, I think that it would be considered a trust tell, where the behavior is "pushing scum"-- assuming that the player has pushed scum as town in the past. It doesn't matter that the player doesn't always push scum as town, or that they don't know they're pushing scum while they're doing it; what matters is that they intentionally take steps to assure that they ONLY push scum as town, and they claim that.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:15 am

Post by popsofctown »

"Would you bus for the first time in your career if you thought it would win you the game?"
"No, because then I'd lose the ability to tell people I never bus"
That's when it's a trust tell.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:06 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 2, Zenith wrote:What the difference in having a meta for never bussing, and claiming, "I never bus" vs "I never bus, believe me."
Isn't the believe me part kind of implied just by making the claim? Also having the meta to back the claim?
Trust tell is something you can prove, using your past games and implying you will keep your word in future games is that kind of proof. Asking people to believe your word on blind faith or such isn't trust tell. You don't make any promises, so it's persons choice to believe your word here and now opposed to them believing in your promise, which is trust tell.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:29 am

Post by Plum »

In post 5, popsofctown wrote:"Would you bus for the first time in your career if you thought it would win you the game?"
This is the correct answer.
Zenith
Zenith
Goon
Zenith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:43 am

Post by Zenith »

In post 7, Plum wrote:
In post 5, popsofctown wrote:"Would you bus for the first time in your career if you thought it would win you the game?"
So without that convo, it would be allowed?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 am

More or less. The important part about what pops said is that it concerns the future-- "I've never bussed" is fine, but the instant that you imply anything about future games (that includes the present-tense "I never bus"), you're in trust tell zone.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 8, Zenith wrote:
In post 7, Plum wrote:
So without that convo, it would be allowed?
If the position you're taking is consistent with that convo, we someone to make that convo with you, then it's a problem, whether or not that exact convo actually happens.
"I never bus" implies a trust tell since it isn't an in-meta way to play scum, so an explanation of why you have unusual beliefs on mafia theory would be expected. "Don't worry, that witness won't make it to the court date, the judge agreed the witness's testimony isn't admissible evidence for legal reasons," is swell, "Don't worry, that witness won't make it to the court date" is ominous in what's unspoken.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Every single person historically who has claimed to never bus, and that accounts for a lot of people, has ended up bussing under special circumstances..
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:49 am

Also usually the argument isn't "I never bus so I can claim a trust tell." It's I never bus because I'm too Mama hen / just don't like bussing people / like the teamwork aspect of scum play. Which isn't really trust telling, if you don't do something as scum for a reason that's not establishing a trust tell.

Actually I got the closest to that with saying that I stopped bussing because I was sick of getting scumread after I correctly lynched scum. But I went back on it and always intended on going back on it at some point. Hmm.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:10 am

In post 12, RadiantCowbells wrote:Also usually the argument isn't "I never bus so I can claim a trust tell." It's I never bus because I'm too Mama hen / just don't like bussing people / like the teamwork aspect of scum play. Which isn't really trust telling, if you don't do something as scum for a reason that's not establishing a trust tell.
Idk I still think it's sketchy to say "I pushed scum and I never bus, so you should have me as locktown." Even the people who have reasons for not bussing need to admit that it's a general principle that can be broken.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 am

Post by popsofctown »

I "like"/"don't like" kind of already implies you're not dealing in absolutes anymore.
If you state nothing but the conclusion and want people to fill in some blanks that's where I'd be worried.
"Well, I..."
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:31 am

Post by Ramcius »

To me it looks just like any bs you can tell as some sort of self meta "I don't do x as scum, so you should TR me now for doing that in this game"
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 pm

In post 13, Something_Smart wrote:Idk I still think it's sketchy to say "I pushed scum and I never bus, so you should have me as locktown." Even the people who have reasons for not bussing need to admit that it's a general principle that can be broken.
But if it's not true then why though like

I don't see a problem with someone falsely claiming themselves conftown lol
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Like how is that different from saying "I'm confirmed town due to my iso" or whatever
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 1, Ramcius wrote:As I see it, you can claim it all you want, people are already doing that in games, but don't turn it into trust tell. Claiming something is ok, asking people to believe your claim, because of your actions in past games is borderline trust tell
That would more accurately fall under the category of deliberate gamethrowing than trust tells and in this case, it’s the intentional gamethrowing that ought to be actionable.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 18, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 1, Ramcius wrote:As I see it, you can claim it all you want, people are already doing that in games, but don't turn it into trust tell. Claiming something is ok, asking people to believe your claim, because of your actions in past games is borderline trust tell
That would more accurately fall under the category of deliberate gamethrowing than trust tells and in this case, it’s the intentional gamethrowing that ought to be actionable.
All trust tells require intentional gamethrowing to function. If you only say "I'm a unicorn" as town and never ever post it as scum, the trust value doesn't gain value until you start throwing some games by not posting "I'm a unicorn" as scum when it would win you those games.
There's overlap, yes.
"Well, I..."
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm a unicorn.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I like to try and lynch people who say stuff like this bc if its not a trust tell then they're using it to artificially gain credibility which is scummy. I don't want to be the idiot that gets burned when someone does it for the first time.
Don't @ me.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:40 pm

everyone who ever said they don't bus ended up bussing.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 20, RadiantCowbells wrote:I'm a unicorn.
VOTE: RadiantCowbells
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 22, RadiantCowbells wrote:everyone who ever said they don't bus ended up bussing.
I train.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”