Cult Leader Modifications

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Cult Leader Modifications

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

The Cult Leader is overpowered, as it's factions grows without bounds. However, all is not lost! If you listen to me for a few minutes, we may come up with a more preferable Cult Leader.

The first change is simple: The Cult Leader can convert players as long as both of these conditions are satisfied:

The Cult has not converted for 1 night.
The Cult Faction is not overcrowded.

Condition #1 solves a problem with the Cult Leader: It's faction grows too quickly, resulting in an unwinnable game for the town, unless they kill the Cult Leader and there isn't a recursive Leader (Aka one member becomes the leader)
Condition #2 solves the most critical condition for the Cult Leader: The faction grows without bound. It can easily bypass the town's numbers because it doesn't have a member limit. Of course, it shouldn't be too restrictive, as the cult doesn't have a killing ability and without a recursive Leader, this balance makes it a very favorable game to the town.

The second change is also simple: An X-Shot recursive Leader.

All this would do is give the Cult a fighting chance when their Leader inevitably does die. As their faction would now be limited to only a small group, this would also be balanced as the only real way to gain power over the town is by sheer numbers (unless the Cult has a killing ability, in which case there shouldn't be a recursive Leader)

What are your thoughts on this?
Last edited by Jake The Wolfie on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

It looks like another attempt to solve a problem that several people have already tried to solve
I do think you might have some good ideas though
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:32 am

Post by Awoo »

Cult in the Jungle Republic (A setup which I'm pretty sure has never been run) has a cult with a maximum size of 4, which includes dead cultists, and no cult leader. That's the most normalized cult I've seen.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:22 am

Post by popsofctown »

Restricting the backup cult leader to X-shots seems like a very halfsie position. Do you want the high swing possibility of the Cult leader getting lynched or not?

I would say "no" and say that recruit is factional and it goes away the second time any cultist is lynched (or the third in an exceptionally large game).
There's plenty of case to be made for "yes" though, especially in smaller games.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 am

Post by BBmolla »

Cults suck
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Korina
Korina
Ask, prefers they
Recruiter
Korina
Ask, prefers they
Recruiter
Recruiter
Pronoun: Ask, prefers they

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Post by Korina »

I disagree with everything stated in this thread. Cult is perfectly fine as is, and anyone who disagrees is wrong, and should feel bad about having an abhorrently wrong opinion.
GTKAS:
The most recent one and the only one that actually matters. | ROOMS HAVE AIR ~ Who | Not_Mafia did not submit a naive cop action. big mistake there tbh ~ xyzzy
I dissociate, any signed posts are from my headmates. Refer to GTKAS, or DM me for more information.

#
C
u
l
t
s
A
r
e
n
t
B
a
s
t
a
r
d
| Plurality Discussion Thread
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

If you think “cults are overpowered” is a wrong statement then you need an intervention because you are way too addicted to your own Kool-Aid
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:42 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Cult games can be fun. Gotta agree with Korina in this one.
Micro 9p game with only town and cult faction works.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Post by Alisae »

No one:
Absolutely no one:
Jake: I THINK I CAN BaLaNcE CULTS!
Mafiascum: So you have chosen.... death
GTKAS
| here.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:02 am

Post by popsofctown »

It's maybe not important to balance cults because the people willing to play with cults overlaps a lot with people willing to play imbalanced setups.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Korina
Korina
Ask, prefers they
Recruiter
Korina
Ask, prefers they
Recruiter
Recruiter
Pronoun: Ask, prefers they

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 am

Post by Korina »

In post 6, Gamma Emerald wrote:If you think “cults are overpowered” is a wrong statement then you need an intervention because you are way too addicted to your own Kool-Aid
Please read my signature, ty.
If you’re wondering what the hat says as well, it says “Cult Leader and Official Drink Maker”
GTKAS:
The most recent one and the only one that actually matters. | ROOMS HAVE AIR ~ Who | Not_Mafia did not submit a naive cop action. big mistake there tbh ~ xyzzy
I dissociate, any signed posts are from my headmates. Refer to GTKAS, or DM me for more information.

#
C
u
l
t
s
A
r
e
n
t
B
a
s
t
a
r
d
| Plurality Discussion Thread
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:47 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Put cults into any game without roles specifically placed to balance them and they likely dominate
And like “cults aren’t bastard” tbh you can’t say they aren’t because bastard is a somewhat objective term referring to roles/mechanics that make games either unpredictable or unfun, Cults can be fun but they’re certainly unpredictable. “Cult is best faction” and “more cult games” like, ok? Doesn’t change my comment at all
<Embrace The Void>

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 10, Korina wrote:
In post 6, Gamma Emerald wrote:If you think “cults are overpowered” is a wrong statement then you need an intervention because you are way too addicted to your own Kool-Aid
Please read my signature, ty.
If you’re wondering what the hat says as well, it says “Cult Leader and Official Drink Maker”
Your logic is so bad that I can taste it in your kool-aid

Return to “Mafia Discussion”