How do you enjoy playing scum?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Pyrrha Nikos
Pyrrha Nikos
Mafia Scum
Pyrrha Nikos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Post by Pyrrha Nikos »

In post 21, Ramcius wrote:
In post 20, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 19, Ramcius wrote:If you think your buddy has better chances at winning, just take easy way out and give them town cred, every game is different and you can't use same strategy every time
Well I happened to have a buddy that uses the exact same strategy every damn time - hard bussing his buddies no matter what.
Does he knows that doing that negates bussing effect?
It’s Saudade, ‘nuff said.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Post by Ramcius »

In post 25, Pyrrha Nikos wrote:
In post 19, Ramcius wrote:If you think your buddy has better chances at winning, just take easy way out and give them town cred, every game is different and you can't use same strategy every time
Well I happened to have a buddy that uses the exact same strategy every damn time - hard bussing his buddies no matter what.
I guess he's not that good, cause I don't know the guy
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:22 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 26, Ramcius wrote:
It’s his typical scum meta and he refused to even try to work with me, so not a fun player to have as one’s buddy pretty much. He kept saying things like, “I had a dream that I hammered [my slot] and won the game for town”.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:46 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 27, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 26, Ramcius wrote:
It’s his typical scum meta and he refused to even try to work with me, so not a fun player to have as one’s buddy pretty much. He kept saying things like, “I had a dream that I hammered [my slot] and won the game for town”.
Sounds like most of my scumbuddies :lol:
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Play as a team, come up with strategies together, pull off successful gambits.

Make choices rather than just exist as scum, because I feel like a lot of people play scum just go with the flow without actually doing anything to impact the game unless they have to.

I prefer town, and solving a game and breaking it wide open for a town win is the only thing better feeling that getting a good team scum victory.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Post by Titus »

I have to admit, part of playing scum depends on one's partners. I don't care to play scum with the likes of Albert B. Rampage (who I think has left the site). People who call their teammates retarded or hard bus because of a lack of respect make scum less fun. If players bus because strategy, that's ok. Just keep the chat non-toxic and it should be good.

Also, bastard means "fatherless child", bitch means "female dog". So bastard is gender neutral. Bitch is feminine. Both should be avoided in 99.9% of mafia games in their native context. (Exception: If a setup is bastard, then the use is ok.)
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I feel like bussing is best discussed.

Like I have definitely gone, I will bus aggressively, but I also will try and undermine my own wagon a lot and compromise off on to town.

Basically don't bus for the sake of bussing, bus for good reason.
Don't @ me.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

I love playing as scum as long as my team is willing to do what it takes to win, but it’s depressing if your team clearly doesn’t care, it’s obvious they’d rather be town etc... that really sucks because you feel like the entire town is coming for you and your teammates die early or just don’t post anything substantial.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 29, Flavor Leaf wrote:Play as a team, come up with strategies together, pull off successful gambits.

Make choices rather than just exist as scum, because I feel like a lot of people play scum just go with the flow without actually doing anything to impact the game unless they have to.

I prefer town, and solving a game and breaking it wide open for a town win is the only thing better feeling that getting a good team scum victory.
Haha, that's pretty funny.

I feel like a progression for playing mafia is like:

Prefer playing town because you're a noob and just hope to get carried and can't make reads ->
Prefer playing mafia because you learned how to fake reads but can't make good reads ->
Prefer playing town again because now you can kind of make reads sometimes and its fun ->
But then playing mafia you can do even crazier stuff now ->
But then you get better at town ->
But then mafia can be really funny ->
->
???
->
Prefer playing cult & jester setups only
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:53 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think bastard is considered masculine because historically it was more significant if a potential male heir was bastard as that hurts their heirship
Ofc that’s a conclusion I pretty much formed exclusively by watching GoT
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Post by pisskop »

In post 0, popsofctown wrote:I have heard people who are ostensibly not deranged say they enjoy playing scum more than town. Still others don't prefer it more than town, but still can enjoy it.
I find it really hard to enjoy. Posting is so forced. It's boring to know the answers. Sometimes when someone thinks I'm scum I want to hug them and tell them they're right instead of decepting them.
Can anyone give me tips on how to enjoy being scum more? What is fun about it? I think I'm pretty good at hiding the lack of fun I have as scum. But since I don't seem to be as good at rolling town as I was in the good old days then I should probably learn how to enjoy it for my own quality of life.
If playing mafia is about deducing who is town, than playing scum is about how to get people to believe what you want.

I look at it as a chance to learn how people tick and why. Who will somebody track at night? Which player would it benefit me to remove? How can I manage to bus my partner and yet still not get them lynched?

A lot of players think they have to play differently as scum, but thats not quite true. A lot of times I scumhunt as scum. I look for logical flaws or for misdirected ideas, and I push them. I have to be a little more flexible with it as scum, but luckily for me short posts are kind of my thing.

Being scum is a chance to use your informed minority status to play the game on a different level: youre working with a small team to bring down a larger team.
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:42 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I like winning as scum a lot better than I like playing it, unless I have RC as a buddy, than it’s a free win. :P Playing with players like Saudade, who tried to kill me in CoC2 for no reason other than being his buddy wasn’t fun and wasn’t exactly thrilled with Numbers either insisting on being bussed D1 in Heroes Wanted or with him giving away the entire scumteam with his readslist.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 5, OkaPoka wrote:tbh enjoying scum is how much you like having your ego rubbed cuz there is a lot more constant visible ego rubbing as scum

such as when

a townie decides to townread you

you get a townie to sheep you

and most of all

when you get two townies to fight each other
ive never found enjoyment out of getting 2 townies to fight each other. I prefer picking my own fights. Although I wish I could have them be friendly fights, never works out that way though.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 38, Firebringer wrote:
In post 5, OkaPoka wrote:tbh enjoying scum is how much you like having your ego rubbed cuz there is a lot more constant visible ego rubbing as scum

such as when

a townie decides to townread you

you get a townie to sheep you

and most of all

when you get two townies to fight each other
ive never found enjoyment out of getting 2 townies to fight each other. I prefer picking my own fights. Although I wish I could have them be friendly fights, never works out that way though.

Spoiler:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:03 am

Post by profii »

I think my most enjoyable scum game was in boonytoonz where I was the renegade so had to do a particular set of night actions to get in the scum thread and go from there

I somehow had the ability to claim and do actions or fake actions (cant remember) whereby I was confirming townies in such a way where I appeared town but also didnt hamper my own chances

So I guess that reiterates the point about getting your ego stroked - it's fun to dupe people

Return to “Mafia Discussion”