How do you enjoy playing scum?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

How do you enjoy playing scum?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I have heard people who are ostensibly not deranged say they enjoy playing scum more than town. Still others don't prefer it more than town, but still can enjoy it.
I find it really hard to enjoy. Posting is so forced. It's boring to know the answers. Sometimes when someone thinks I'm scum I want to hug them and tell them they're right instead of decepting them.
Can anyone give me tips on how to enjoy being scum more? What is fun about it? I think I'm pretty good at hiding the lack of fun I have as scum. But since I don't seem to be as good at rolling town as I was in the good old days then I should probably learn how to enjoy it for my own quality of life.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Post by Alisae »

I have fun when I’m playing scum when I’m just shitposting with my scumbuddies and trolling and not giving a fuck
GTKAS
| here.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I find that scum is less stressful overall, but more stressful in specific points that town.

It's the lack of stress that makes playing scum appealing to me.
Don't @ me.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Post by Alisae »

Ask the mod and your scumbuddies to have a discord chat if you have perma daytalk
Its most likely going to be ok by all parties and if you’re having a good time with the team overall, it makes the situation way less stressful
GTKAS
| here.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Playing with a scumteam has a much higher likelihood of having teamwork being a part of the game, there's very little of that as town nowadays

The majority of my most fond memories in recent times are as scum, honestly I find it a lot more interesting rolling scum with somebody I don't really ever play with than to be town trying to solve the game nowadays

It tends to be less frustrating overall and even the frustrating scumgames tend to have significantly more upsides than the frustrating towngames
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

tbh enjoying scum is how much you like having your ego rubbed cuz there is a lot more constant visible ego rubbing as scum

such as when

a townie decides to townread you

you get a townie to sheep you

and most of all

when you get two townies to fight each other
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:24 pm

Post by popsofctown »

So far okapoka has been most helpful
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 pm

Post by Ramcius »

Secret to enjoy scum is to find playstyle that suits you. There are a lot different ways to play scum, but most important thing is not to get caught by meta. There are 2 ways to achieve that - have diverse town meta, so people can't tell if you scum or just doing something new as a town, or your scum playstyle should have a lot similarities with your town playstyle

Personally I like being active, push people around without committing too much, unless I can get away with my bs. It's fun to give some info that only your team knows, wrap it in a ton of bs and present it as some sort of speculation and watch town brush it off as it's some nonsense :lol: I like planning ahead, so knowing my team from get go, I can plan my ML targets, my enemies that I should pocket till time comes to kill them, even how to handle my scumbudies - who I should protect and who is expendable.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:58 am

Post by Titus »

I find that playing scum is putting on a role. People have asked me to act for them. So it becomes about playing a character and trying not to get caught. If people enjoy the show, I enjoy playing scum even when I sub into very hard situations. I enjoy it when others enjoy it as scum. The only exceptions are 1) no lying about real life and 2) don't emotionally scar people.

In the same vein, I don't feel bad when others deceive me as scum. It's part of the game to catch people. How scum manipulate me also tells me a little bit more about myself.

So don't feel guilty about conning me as scum if you ever are pops.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 am

Post by Amrun »

It’s fun to wreak havoc on the town and to coordinate with scumbuddies. Fooling town can be fun.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:49 am

Post by Creature »

I don't enjoy, it's more of self-pity.
Sigh
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:51 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I miss enjoying scum.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:08 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 3, Alisae wrote:Ask the mod and your scumbuddies to have a discord chat if you have perma daytalk
Its most likely going to be ok by all parties and if you’re having a good time with the team overall, it makes the situation way less stressful
+1

I had one in my last scumgame: Marked for Death.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, Espeonage wrote:I find that scum is less stressful overall, but more stressful in specific points that town.

It's the lack of stress that makes playing scum appealing to me.
You’re kidding right? How is playing scum less stressful than playing town? I hardly ate at all in MD due to a massive case of nerves.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:15 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 11, RadiantCowbells wrote:I miss enjoying scum.
Only time I really enjoyed it was in No Dead Person because that was like a free scum win. I think how much you enjoy or not enjoy it may come down to your buddies. Like worst scum experience ever for me was in CoC2, because my buddy kept trying to kill me and refused to work with me.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:16 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I would rather play a really well designed SK role than scum but that is totally dependent on the mod.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:37 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 14, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
Only time I really enjoyed it was in No Dead Person because that was like a free scum win. I think how much you enjoy or not enjoy it may come down to your buddies. Like worst scum experience ever for me was in CoC2, because my buddy kept trying to kill me and refused to work with me.
If your team is trying to bus you - bus them and enjoy free town cred and you don't need to feel bad for it
Pyrrha Nikos
Pyrrha Nikos
Mafia Scum
Pyrrha Nikos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:41 am

Post by Pyrrha Nikos »

In post 16, Ramcius wrote:
If your team is trying to bus you - bus them and enjoy free town cred and you don't need to feel bad for it
I tried that and almost succeeded but then one of the slots got replaced and the replacement was convinced that my buddy was locktown.

Like it’s called the scumTEAM for a reason.
Pyrrha Nikos
Pyrrha Nikos
Mafia Scum
Pyrrha Nikos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:43 am

Post by Pyrrha Nikos »

In post 17, Pyrrha Nikos wrote:
In post 16, Ramcius wrote:
I tried that and almost succeeded but then one of the slots got replaced and the replacement was convinced that my buddy was locktown.

Like it’s called the scumTEAM for a reason.
Because another role in that was a jk, bussing was not optimal in that setup as long as the jk was still alive.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 am

Post by Ramcius »

If you think your buddy has better chances at winning, just take easy way out and give them town cred, every game is different and you can't use same strategy every time
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 19, Ramcius wrote:If you think your buddy has better chances at winning, just take easy way out and give them town cred, every game is different and you can't use same strategy every time
Well I happened to have a buddy that uses the exact same strategy every damn time - hard bussing his buddies no matter what.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:31 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 20, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 19, Ramcius wrote:If you think your buddy has better chances at winning, just take easy way out and give them town cred, every game is different and you can't use same strategy every time
Well I happened to have a buddy that uses the exact same strategy every damn time - hard bussing his buddies no matter what.
Does he knows that doing that negates bussing effect?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Post by mastina »

I very strongly prefer being town and hate rolling scum.
And when I am scum, I can run into two problems: boredom (I am good enough as scum that I don't really get entertainment from dueling town), and guilt (when the town is eating itself alive and is asking for my help).

You might think that given how much I loathe rolling scum, how much I can get bored, and how much I can feel guilty, that between those three, I get no enjoyment out of rolling scum.

After alp, I hate rolling scum, I find playing scum boring, and I can feel guilty for being scum; between the three, surely there can't be enjoyment from rolling scum, right?

…Except there is. It all comes down to mentality. I love being a comic book supervillain. I love to pull the strings, make elaborate plans, manipulate everyone, and stick to a villainous code--the best villains are the villains who can win even when telling you the truth and never lying.

When you are giving the heroes the answers, giving them the truth, but they don't believe you because surely as a villain you'd be telling a lie, it is the most magnificent adrenaline rush possible.

When you identify threats and see them come so close to crushing you with the right roles, right reads, right reasons, whatever, and then you think that you have a challenge worthy of your skills, it's exhilarating.

Owning up to being what you are is amazingly liberating. You're an evil bastard/bitch, pulling the ultimate con of convincing the world that you're actually a hero. And even if this con is exposed, then you get the thrill of a final epic confrontation where you can ham it up. Throw people off the scent of your final plan.

This is exemplified by having a scumteam who you synergize well with. If you and your scumbuddies get along well, can banter with each other freely, have good chats, advise each other, bounce ideas off of each other, air thoughts out in your scum pt before posting them, etc., then you are going to have a fun time even if you lose.

I've had more fun losing as scum than winning as town. I can't say the same for vice versa 97.5+% of the time. Winning as scum is still a blast, but in all of my town loses, I can maybe think of one (camn vs pine) which was fun in spite of the loss?

Basically. The only way I won't have a good time as scum is if there is incredible lack of synergy in the scumteam with a clash of ideas which ends up working poorly.

And in 99% of my scumgames, that doesn't happen, so I have fun in them regardless of the outcome. Even if the town roflstomps my team, as long as I wasn't miserable due to extenuating circumstances, I'll be satisfied. Obviously, disappointed by not winning, but in an "Oh well, I still had fun" sort of way.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

is bastard gender neutral or masculine?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 23, OkaPoka wrote:is bastard gender neutral or masculine?
From my understanding, bastard can be gender neutral but is usually masculine; bitch can be gender neutral but is usually feminine.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”