Town vs. Scum mindsets

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Town vs. Scum mindsets

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:15 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

It seems that in my history of playing mafia, many people don’t really take this enough into account. There are these little towntells that townies do often without thinking about it that even the best and most experienced scum players rarely if ever do. Why? Because it more often than not just doesn’t occur to them.

For example, on a game I played on MU some time ago, the one poster who 100% prevented my mislynch on D1 was NK’d night one. When I pointed out the obvious to anyone who seriously needed a building to literally fall on them to see the obvious, that scum!me would never be that insane to kill the one slot who almost singlehandedly prevented my lynch, they didn’t listen and mislynched me anyway.

Because players in many games, just don’t think of the logic of either a town or a scum motivation. If town had actually been even remotely thinking in that game, that NK logically should have townlocked me. That’s 100% the conclusion I’d have logically come to, had it been anyone other than me. And I’ve obviously seen different variations of this on MS as well, where town just doesn’t seriously consider these things enough. I don’t know why.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:43 am

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:When I pointed out the obvious to anyone who seriously needed a building to literally fall on them to see the obvious, that scum!me would never be that insane to kill the one slot who almost singlehandedly prevented my lynch, they didn’t listen and mislynched me anyway.
Was your lunch scum driven?

In my experience, people do not like it when others self proclaim their obv/lock town status. I don’t know why, but I have seen many people scum read someone just for that.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:46 am

Post by Ramcius »

Nancy, problem is, if you start treating such things as a lock town tell, scum will pick up on it and abuse it
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:53 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 1, gobbledygook wrote:
In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:When I pointed out the obvious to anyone who seriously needed a building to literally fall on them to see the obvious, that scum!me would never be that insane to kill the one slot who almost singlehandedly prevented my lynch, they didn’t listen and mislynched me anyway.
Was your lunch scum driven?

In my experience, people do not like it when others self proclaim their obv/lock town status. I don’t know why, but I have seen many people scum read someone just for that.
It’s been so long, I’m not sure I even remember. I remember that the two remaining scum in that game were never both on my wagon at the same time. I had a huge confidence problem back then, so I highly doubt I did anything like that. I kind of disagree with this, I think that people only really get sr for this, when there hasn’t been an adequate basis behind that claim. Like saying you’re obv/locktown for pretty much no reason obviously looks sus but not if you actually have something to logically base that on.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:56 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, Ramcius wrote:Nancy, problem is, if you start treating such things as a lock town tell, scum will pick up on it and abuse it
How? Not just me but no scum in their right mind would ever kill the player largely responsible for stopping their lynch, unless of course they were no longer in jeopardy. Why? Because I got mislynched the next day, like it’s not exactly rocket science. :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:05 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 4, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 2, Ramcius wrote:Nancy, problem is, if you start treating such things as a lock town tell, scum will pick up on it and abuse it
How? Not just me but no scum in their right mind would ever kill the player largely responsible for stopping their lynch, unless of course they were no longer in jeopardy. Why? Because I got mislynched the next day, like it’s not exactly rocket science. :lol:
Like I see your point but I’m saying, this player literally prevented my lynch and I was still in obvious jeopardy of getting lynched the next day. It might have had something to do with scum fearing that dangerous obvtown player but still, he was never going to let me get lynched. So as long as he was in the game, I was safe.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:26 am

Post by Titus »

I think technically Ramicus is correct but it's an unlikely situation where the scumfuck would be outed by other means. Occam's Razor would eventually guilty that scum.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:30 am

Post by Titus »

I know full well some games I had trouble batting 100%. I took a forward, illogical position to get my teammates townread if I died in a lot of those games.

Each person has a different town or scum mindset. It's finding that distinction that's good hunting.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:52 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 5, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
Like I see your point but I’m saying, this player literally prevented my lynch and I was still in obvious jeopardy of getting lynched the next day. It might have had something to do with scum fearing that dangerous obvtown player but still, he was never going to let me get lynched. So as long as he was in the game, I was safe.
In most cases, sure, you're town, but there are scenarios where you're scum. Maybe you weren't in control of the kill and your team decided to get rid of important town and just let you die since you're already under fire, maybe you're pulling some gambit "I'll never kill person that townread me". Clearly there were other circumstances that led to your scumread in first place and it's hard to outweight strong scumread with such clear. For obv/lock town read, you need to be 100% sure, in this case I'd say was like 90% that you're town and people often chooses better safe than sorry strategy
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:17 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 8, Ramcius wrote:
In post 5, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In most cases, sure, you're town, but there are scenarios where you're scum. Maybe you weren't in control of the kill and your team decided to get rid of important town and just let you die since you're already under fire, maybe you're pulling some gambit "I'll never kill person that townread me". Clearly there were other circumstances that led to your scumread in first place and it's hard to outweight strong scumread with such clear. For obv/lock town read, you need to be 100% sure, in this case I'd say was like 90% that you're town and people often chooses better safe than sorry strategy
I disagree because if I were scum, my team would hypothetically try to bus me and frame the dude who who tried to save me in that. You should also know that on D1, I was the counterwagon to scum. It can really mess with your head when enough people wrongly sr you but the crux of it was, one player who told me that he “hadn’t seen anything good from me” and that just wrecked me and I choked. If you lack confidence in projecting your towniness, you’re doomed and that’s in a nutshell what happened to me.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:51 am

Post by Ramcius »

Well then, don't choke next time
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:55 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 10, Ramcius wrote:Well then, don't choke next time
Thank you for that extremely helpful advice. :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:06 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 11, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 10, Ramcius wrote:Well then, don't choke next time
Thank you for that extremely helpful advice. :lol:
Glad I could help
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:07 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

just pretend you're me and lynch whoever I would lynch
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:59 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

It's not about being objectively town, it's about convincing other people that you are town.
Even if town is genuinely stupid as fuck, that still doesn't change the fact that no matter how painfully "obvious" it is, you still need to convince other people why you're town. And with scum eager to make your mislynch happen, it will often be a uphill battle.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Ironically, I don’t completely agree with that. I used to worry constantly about being correctly tr and trying to look town. I eventually realized that made me look scummy, so I stopped and now I just focus on doing townie things without even giving a thought to how it looks. Do I still get wrongly sr in spite of this?, not very often. In fact, a lot less often then when I was hyper focused on trying to look town. I think if you’re town doing that in a game, you’re chances of getting mislynched increase exponentially.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:03 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 13, RadiantCowbells wrote:just pretend you're me and lynch whoever I would lynch
Chanel my inner RC? :P
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”