Mystery Mode

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Mystery Mode

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 am

Post by vizIIsto »

WARNING: this is a dumb idea. Please take everything mentioned in this idea with a grain of salt.

So, what if there was a mode in mafia where NOBODY knows their role?
It works just like standard mafia: there's a small group of mafioso, and a bigger group of townies.
However, nobody knows what role they are. No one. Everyone is either a vanilla townie or vanilla mafioso, but which one they are, they don't know.
Lynching goes just like usual. Majority vote gets voted out.
During the night, one townie gets killed by random choice.
Assumably, everybody wants to look the most town as possible. However, there will be no real scumslips because no one knows if they are scum. It's not always the best idea to vote out the most suspicious looking townie, because there is no way that those suspicions could be real.
Besides, mafia members don't know each other, so the argument of 'they defended x and x was mafia' doesn't count.
It's basically all random, but tests one's ability to look as town as possible.

My theoretical question is: would the mafia and the townies have an equal chance of winning when the common 7/9/15-player setups of mafia:town ratio stay the same? Or would it be more favorable for town / mafia?
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:11 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Another variation for this is one where some of the players, besides being vanilla Mafioso/Townie, are Jesters. Preferably not more than 20% of the players. Again, a player does not know if he's a Jester or not.
Now, how will the players find a mix between trying to look town (like the majority actually is) and trying to look suspicious (which both mafioso and jesters are), while not knowing who is who, and not even knowing who you are?
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:44 am

Post by Ramcius »

This can be social game maybe, but it's not mafia. There's no deduction, if no one knows their role and win or loss depends on popularity/luck
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:09 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Perhaps a mode where one person knows who everybody is (either town or mafia), but he's not allowed to speak about it? Because otherwise the game would be ruined. It's like a secret player that DOES know who who is, but he HAS to be silent about it, otherwise his side loses.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:39 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 3, vizIIsto wrote:Perhaps a mode where one person knows who everybody is (either town or mafia), but he's not allowed to speak about it? Because otherwise the game would be ruined. It's like a secret player that DOES know who who is, but he HAS to be silent about it, otherwise his side loses.
What's the point of this "player", if they can't influence game?

What's is the goal of mafia? Find and eliminate all scum or survive, if you're scum. So, how you can find scum, if they themselves don't know they are scum?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:05 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

The only way to really accomplish what you're looking for is to give everyone town role PMs and see what happens.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:41 am

Post by popsofctown »

This would be fully random lynching. Lynching people who "look scummy" would have no relationship with reality if no one has viewed their role pm.

Towns do somewhat better than the random EV, at least in newbie queue I don't know about the data on normal and opens. So when this has random EV exactly it will have a somewhat lower mafia winrate.

I don't find very much value in the thought experiment, it's pretty dumb.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:45 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 5, RadiantCowbells wrote:The only way to really accomplish what you're looking for is to give everyone town role PMs and see what happens.
I've heard off site about such game and wincon was to figure out there was no scum
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:50 am

Post by popsofctown »

You can do that in a non-bastard manner, that's precisely what conspiracy is. You can extend conspiracy to more than three players if you want to.
Conventional wisdom is that mafia is probably a better social deduction game than conspiracy.

It's possibly true that if vizisto is interested in watching X people with identical information about their alignment compete to get townread, a conspiracy setup is ideal.
Something like, {7 VTs} // {5 VTs, 2 Conspirators}, town votes "conspiracy" or "no conspiracy" after the lynch.
But that's a scenario where people know their alignment.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:58 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 7, Ramcius wrote:
In post 5, RadiantCowbells wrote:The only way to really accomplish what you're looking for is to give everyone town role PMs and see what happens.
I've heard off site about such game and wincon was to figure out there was no scum
There was a Large here with (for much of the game) only one scum (who had no incentive to avoid being lynched). The players decided that it was quite possible there were no scum (this was compatible with the flavour and it was known to be a bastard game), and attempted to call a draw, assuming that this was the setup. It didn't end up well, with the moderator and players ending up rather at odds with each other.

At any rate, it's a decent approximation of what an entirely-town game would look like here. My guess is that if someone did run such a game as a Large, it would be figured out within 4-5 days.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:33 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 9, callforjudgement wrote:
In post 7, Ramcius wrote:
There was a Large here with (for much of the game) only one scum (who had no incentive to avoid being lynched). The players decided that it was quite possible there were no scum (this was compatible with the flavour and it was known to be a bastard game), and attempted to call a draw, assuming that this was the setup. It didn't end up well, with the moderator and players ending up rather at odds with each other.

At any rate, it's a decent approximation of what an entirely-town game would look like here. My guess is that if someone did run such a game as a Large, it would be figured out within 4-5 days.
oh god I still have nightmares about that game
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:07 am

Post by Awoo »

Flashbacks to rocky horror show though
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Post by vonflare »

this is easily the dumbest thread ever posted on the site

im laughing

im dying

thank you harambey

thank you
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:16 am

Post by implosion »

Surprised no one has mentioned quantum mafia by magnus_orion (I think?). It’s almost exactly this idea.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

I played in a game like this!

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=75394
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

Return to “Mafia Discussion”