Do people dislike replacing in?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Do people dislike replacing in?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Post by bji »

Question: do people dislike replacing in?

The reason I ask is, I do a replace-in on every other game I play because I feel that I am doing the responsible thing and helping the site keep games going. But I don't really like replacing in, I like starting games from the beginning.

Is it accurate to say that replace-ins are hard to come by and that I am doing a general service by offering myself for every other game as a replace-in?

Or are replace-ins generally well covered and I shouldn't be feeling the need to do replace-ins even though I don't want to?
Pretentious
Pretentious
Mafia Scum
Pretentious
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:09 pm

Post by Pretentious »

Some people prefer replacing in than starting. They’re always nice and usually greatly accepted. Most games need replacements. I wouldn’t say they’re hard to come by, necessarily. Slots usually get taken up pretty fast.
I will see all of you in the FUN ZONE
Normal Game - Mod Account Mini Normal 2118: Boon Gets Pretentious
Town: 3 w 0 L - Scum: 1 w 0 L

Alt of Flavor Leaf
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:25 pm

Post by bji »

Thank you for the perspective, Pretentious. I've been in games that waited a week or more for a replace-in though, which led me to believe that this was common. I've only played 8 total games on this site in 5 years, so I don't exactly have a wealth of experience. My feeling in 8 games was that usually somewhere around 20% - 25% of players replace-out, and it's not uncommon for the delay to be significant in time and also impact on the game. Are others' experiences different?
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Post by popsofctown »

A game that takes that long for a replace is probably one that should have died in the queue but didn't.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:18 pm

Post by Psyche »

i like replacing in more
in general it gets you in a game faster than /inning at a queue thread, and with more pages of content you can go ahead and start analyzing
sure there are downsides with that (you now have tons of pages you have to analyze instead of getting to just read posts as thread size increments! people already have reads about your slot!), but it's not just a settled thing that replacing in is worse than starting fresh at least
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:46 pm

Post by Firebringer »

woah I remember bji from years ago. I didn't know he was still around.

what up
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

i greatly prefer playing from the beginning, mainly so i have the same chance as everyone else of getting each role

the benefit of replacing is that you get to play immediately, which can be nice, esp with how slow the queues are sometimes

downside:
>rand to be scum
>rand to be vanilla
<<rand to be an interesting/unique role
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:20 pm

Post by Psyche »

scum replace out more often than chance? that's a surprise
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 am

Post by Ankamius »

I replace into 90% of my games, its because I can skip a lot of the noise the early game generates and can engage in better

I seem to get town roles more often than rand on replacing and scum roles more often than rand when I join games in signups
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:33 am

Post by bji »

In post 5, Firebringer wrote:woah I remember bji from years ago. I didn't know he was still around.

what up
Hi there. I still play, but only about once a year. When I play, I devote
alot
of time to my games, and I just can't spend that much time continuously playing mafia. So I do it only about once a year.

I really like mafia though and have enjoyed every game I have played on this site (8 so far) quite a bit.
In post 7, Psyche wrote:scum replace out more often than chance? that's a surprise
That's my theory. I think that playing scum requires more effort than playing as town, and that people replace out because they don't like the time investment that implies. Not always, and not everyone, but enough that it means that scum are more likely to replace out.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 7, Psyche wrote:scum replace out more often than chance? that's a surprise
With the worst's data, this is a testable hypothesis.

More relevant to the thesis of the thread, I used to enjoy replacing into games, but I had trouble catching up to threads that were more than 15 pages. That's more common now than whenever I last played a game.
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:47 pm

Post by Menalque »

The main factor in whether I enjoy a game or not is generally the playerlist, and repping in can give more choice over that (if people notorious for repping out early have already left and their replacements are in) but mostly it’s a non-factor.

Overall, I prefer it if the game is <10 pages and ideally less than <5 and I’m reasonably confident that the slot isn’t scum. If the game is longer than that and I’m confident the slot isn’t scum I’ll rep in. Mostly I’m right, which means playing less scum games than how much I think I would rand scum from RNG.

On the flip side, I don’t enjoy replacing into games that have many pages, as I never seem to be able to get into them in the same way, especially if I’m scum and have to go with the groundwork laid by my predecessor instead of by myself.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:20 pm

Post by Amrun »

I’d like to see the data in this but I think so, yes.

I think that if a slot has been replaced more than once, it’s MUCH more likely to be scum.

That sounds like an insane project for someone to take up sometime!
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

If I'm interested in the game, the player list, and the events, I would generally want to place myself in the center of all that and replace in.
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:34 am

Post by GeorgeBailey »

The worse part of replacing in, can be if your previous slot did something glaringly scummy.

Like what i've done for people replacing into my slot.
GeorgeBailey
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:51 am

Post by bugspray »

I think there are definitely times where a player will create a situation where players don't want to replace into their slot and then either go mia or request replacement and I'm not sure if it's often malice.
MY PRONOUNS ARE THEY/THEM

do not assume my posts follow coherency they do not imagine that every time i post i put half of my knowledge into a clone and then the clone murders me

Return to “Mafia Discussion”