How to balance game with Serial Killer

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Bobotsi
Bobotsi
Watcher
Bobotsi
Watcher
Watcher

How to balance game with Serial Killer

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:19 am

Post by Bobotsi »

Hello i need your help. I haven't hosted a mafia game so far. I want a serial killer in it, but I don't know how to balance it. The game is attended by 16 people and is hosted in another forum that is not specialized in this game.

I don't want it to be too complicated with too many roles. I was thinking of 1 killer, 3 mobsters and 12 citizens.

If the killer kills any game, it will end too quickly.

I apologize if this is not the case here, but I have registered to ask you a question.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:19 am

Post by Nero Cain »

treat a SK as a town vig with his own wincon.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:34 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Ok for starters you need to make a decision; there are essentially two schools of thought regarding serial killer

one school of thought states that serial killer is a form of scum and that thus they should only take away from scums chances: these games are intended to be balanced at a 50% town winrate, 40% scum winrate, 10% at best serial killer winrate
The other school of thought states that a serial killer is an independent faction which should have its own serious chances of winning that detracts from both alignments, and these kind of games are balanced at say 40% town 40% scum 20% serial killer

which school do you think you belong to?
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Bobotsi
Bobotsi
Watcher
Bobotsi
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:53 pm

Post by Bobotsi »

I prefer the option of the killer being a separate faction and winning as the last survivor. How should the other roles be selected in order to get the balance of 40:40:20 and the game not end too quickly?
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:39 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I am of the idea that it’s okay to make 3rd party hard to win, but not enough to the point the player doesn’t want to try.

It’s a weird balance, but I don’t believe it should be easy to be the last man standing as SK, it just needs to be possible, with hope. :lol:
Bobotsi
Bobotsi
Watcher
Bobotsi
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:56 pm

Post by Bobotsi »

The SK does not know who the mafia are in the beginning and it is just as difficult for them as it is for the citizens. Listening to you so far, I think it's hardest for him. In the forum in which the game will take place, quite often many ordinary citizens are killed in the early days. And if the killer only kills citizens in the beginning, the game will end quickly.

Whether to give the city only a doctor and a sheriff or any other supporting role, because in my forum, it will be most difficult for them.

I also wonder if the mafia is just three people with no special roles.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:22 am

Post by Nero Cain »

town need more prs than a sheriff (cop?) and doc

my suggestion would be like

cop
doc
maybe fbi agent
tracker?
8 citizens
vs.
1x bp sk
vs.
2 goons and a jailkeeper
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Bobotsi
Bobotsi
Watcher
Bobotsi
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:29 am

Post by Bobotsi »

Thank you everyone!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”