Mini Theme Queueing data

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Mini Theme Queueing data

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Post by Isis »

I am interested in actual and perceived demand for games, and decided to pick some data to see if I can learn anything, try to pick characteristics and see if they're a predictor of whether a game will be wanted. The normal queue has really strong demand, all the time. I'm interested in doing similar thing for Open Queue, maybe. Micros pretty much always fill, so that's less important to study (Note that a lot of these games in this data scrape dip below 13p and they very clearly enjoyed an advantage as fill rate, I don't feel like anyone will even attack that thesis. The excitement that a game might fill soon makes joining more likely). So I looked at Mini Themes.
I counted how many unretracted /ins per day a game got from the time it joined the queue until it was filled or pulled. I didn't count /ins that overfilled the game.
Mod identity/reputation is a huge factor, but it's hard to categorize or crunch that, so you should be aware of the bias. In particular I noticed that every single moderator with a fully open game that filled has (imo) very positive reputation factors and so I can kind of perceive the ability to get a fully open game to fire as a "privilege" of well-liked mods in the current ecosystem.
I'm a little too weary about just the collecting to draw conclusions but I maybe want to pull this into excel and see if there's any statements you can make. I know the sample size is small and any statement is weak.
"Essentially instant fill" games were all marked as "playercount.0", even though they may have filled in less than 24 hours or one of them might have been 36. It's just not particularly important to look at anything beyond the game essentially being an instant fill. Potentially anything above 3 should be lumped together as "essentially instant fill"
I worked by hand, I'm sure there's lots of mistakes, if you played a game and new it was queued bastard or actually open or etc let me know.

Fully Open : The game was either open or semi-open, you could mod the game yourself using only the /in to queue if you needed to.
Open Mechanic: The game was closed, but a special game mechanic was guaranteed to appear in the game
Closed: The game was closed. I didn't differentiate on how much information was given about what types of roles to expect, some gave you a general notion of what might appear, but did not have an outright open mechanic.
Upick: The game was a upick. This is a kind of closed game.

Oh also this was January 1 2019 to present day

NameTypeBastardRate
Mod is Mafia: Plat EditionOpen MechanicYes.29
Unstable MafiaClosedMaybe1
Secrets Anuket TopazClosedNo1.6
Rapier UpickUPickNo.93
Giffy QClosedMaybe1.08
Access PointOpen MechanicNo1.63
factory adellaFully OpenNo.47
What's your Emergency?ClosedNo.81
Timeshift Mafia IVOpen MechanicNo.68
Madness at Port ArthurClosed, RMNo.72
Restless SpiritsOpen MechanicNo1
Any nondead person can postOpen MechanicMaybe.59
Cult vs JesterClosedYes.59
Guns and Roses IFully OpenNo5.5
Vengeful GhostsOpen MechanicNo1.18
Pokémon RubyClosedNo2.17
Surprise MafiaOpen MechanicNo.65
Clue Master Detective Mafia 3Fully OpenNo.1
Zero Escape MafiaClosedNo3.0
PurgeClosedNo1.08
CYS Atmosphera of ChaosUpickYes3.25
The SearchOpen MechanicYes2.6
Undertale SemiOpenFully OpenNo1.2
I don't remember the name of this gameClosedNo1.18
Make Me Reget This UpickUpickNo1.18
It's a Metalocalypse thingClosedYes.54
NFL MafiaOpen MechanicNo.06
Democracy MafiaOpen MechanicNo.3
Extremely BastardClosedYes.9
Star Trek MafiaClosedNo-ish.3
Undertale Semi-Open 1.1Fully OpenNo11.0
Assassin MafiaOpen MechanicNo.87
Magia RecordUpickNo.5
I hate MafiaFully OpenNo.59
Skyrim Mod UpickUpickNo.43
Thread upickuPickMaybe.47
Grand Idea GpickUpickYes.21
Undertale S Open 2.0Fully OpenNo2.75
Spooky MafiaOpen MechanicNo.38
IntrigueClosedNo0.0
Your Waifu is Trash uPickUpickNoish13.0
Franklin's ExpeditionClosedNo0.19
Grand Idea Upick IVuPickYes0.65
IntrigueClosedNo0.0
Fairly SpecialOpen MechanicNo0.72
VinePickUpickNo0.19
Everything is Completely Normal 2ClosedNo0.5
Anime uPick: ShuffleUpickNoish4.3
Furret's Bizarre Adventure Part 2: Tax warsFully OpenNo13.0
XP Mafia IIOpen Mechanicno3.25
Ginngie picks for youupickYes13.0
City that Never SleepsFully OpenNo2.2
Pandemic!Fully OpenNo0.14
PartitionFully OpenNo1.18
Gacha MafiaFully OpenNo4.5
Last edited by Isis on Tue May 19, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm

Post by Isis »

I thought of something I missed
will correct this over time.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Post by northsidegal »

it seems like being fully open is a serious advantage? this just makes me sadder about the state of the open queue, really. i think the low sample size might be misleading here, though. not all fully open games fill super fast, but almost all of the games which have filled super fast have been fully open.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Post by northsidegal »

if i were to look at this data and post-hoc rationalize it, i might say that it's logical that open games fill faster, because people can see what they're getting into and thus decide to join the game easier, whereas a closed game has to do something else to convince people to join.

that being said (and keep in mind that this is just my non-empirical opinion and not actually what the data says), it seems to me like you're correct in that reputation has a huge effect. almost all of the games which had an instant fill rate were mods of very high reputation, and from memory many of the games which failed to fill were from mods with less of a body of work. like i said though, that's just my non-empirical feelings, and actually looking again i can see some entries which contradict that – mods of high reputation whose games failed to fill and lesser known mods having their games fill very fast.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Post by Isis »

Open games are more likely to be smaller than 13p, enabling a fast fill.
Schadd_ has a highly positive reputation and failed to fill a fully open game within this data set. As though some force that impacted the less reputed mods was even too strong for schadd. That contributes to my coming to a viewpoint that fully open minithemes are perhaps unwanted.
This could be because the experience and open game provides isn't one people expect or are looking for when they go into that queue
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Post by Isis »

Anyway I think the instant fillers are less important/less interesting than, "what's the difference between games with a .9 and .5 fill rate" and I'd like to see if I can look and get some kind of proscriptive nudge.

I still haven't reviewed the numbers yet
"Well, I..."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”