The Newbie NewD3 stats thread (upd. 2020-05-20, 51g)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 2:36 pm

Post by Blair »

In post 24, Isis wrote:something more like, "Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, 5 VT, roll 2 things from {Tracker, Cop, Doc, VT, FN}
*broken record scratch*

Oh look, it's 2of4. :P
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Post by Isis »

Is that what 2 of 4 is?
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Post by Blair »

2of4

Mafia Role Cop x1
Mafia Goon x1
Vanilla Townie x5

Plus Two Randomly From:

Cop
Doctor
Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am

Post by Kerset »

In post 22, Isis wrote:Ok so the movement in the red direction was significant
and we haven't been moved a statistically significant number of games
so really you should wait
I have to accept that since my desire for towns to suffer is probably idiosyncratic and subjective and butthurt from being bad at scum
I still don't like that the newbie setup is so complex though
First time i saw newd3 table i couldn't understand how can i pick a cell if there are no scum in there. Then i though that i need to pick a column header and combine it with row header... but it had just 'row 1' in it.
idk maybe this would look better
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Vanilla Townie x5
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Vanilla Townie x5
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Vanilla Townie x5
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2020 1:58 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 11, northsidegal wrote:This has been the case since Matrix6 (and possibly before, but I don't have the data on-hand for that). Personally, I might theorize that it an element across almost all micro setups.
There are three common town roles that become much more powerful with 1 scum left: Tracker, Roleblocker, Jailkeeper. (Follower does too, but it's less common; Motion Detector is also uncommon, and although it improves with 1 scum left, it improves to a lesser extent.)

Avoiding those roles entirely places a huge limit on your setup design abilities, especially if you want to keep the setup simple in other ways (e.g. avoiding modifiers). So Micros have a tendency to suffer from swing problems.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2020 2:06 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Not entirely joking suggestion: 7:2 vanilla as the Newbie setup.

This was one of the possible subsetups in F11 (almost: scum had a roleblocker but it didn't do anything), and the observed 35% town winrate isn't ridiculously out of range, especially as it was in a more scumsided meta than today's.

(7:2 is easier for town to win than 11:2 in practice, incidentally, because scum are easier to lynch before the competent townies have been nightkiled, and there's less time for town to get demoralized by constantly missing.)

The main disadvantage I see is not teaching the new players nightplay, but I don't think the current ridiculously complex semi-opens do a good job of that anyway.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2020 3:12 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 27, Blair wrote:2of4

Mafia Role Cop x1
Mafia Goon x1
Vanilla Townie x5

Plus Two Randomly From:

Cop
Doctor
Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
I kinda like it
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 30, callforjudgement wrote:(7:2 is easier for town to win than 11:2 in practice, incidentally, because scum are easier to lynch before the competent townies have been nightkiled, and there's less time for town to get demoralized by constantly missing.)
is this backed by data? I can sorta understand your explanation but I have a hard time believing those things outweigh the fact that town gets 2 additional chances to hit scum as well as more information from NKs and wagons
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2020 6:20 pm

Post by Blair »

There is not enough data about mountainous in general for comparisons between 7:2 / 11:2 to be statistically significant.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2020 1:56 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 30, callforjudgement wrote:This was one of the possible subsetups in F11 (almost: scum had a roleblocker but it didn't do anything), and the observed 35% town winrate isn't ridiculously out of range, especially as it was in a more scumsided meta than today's.
No. You are making the mistake to confuse a subsetup of a Semi-open with a standalone setup. In a semi-open scum might hunt power roles that do not exist. Standalone? They make the optimal nightkill for dayplay(or what they percieve it to be).
The EV for 7:2 is just 29%, and the results will be probably not in the 40-50% range.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

How about:
Tracker 9p(with the improvement of meta this should be balanced. Swingy though, but setups can be swingy.)
Night 1 Cop 9p(Prevents the worst of cop)
Cop/M Multitasking 1-shot Rolecop/M Multitasking 1-shot Roleblocker 9p(can avoid cop more easily but also runs into the risk of 2x cop results)
2x Masons/M Multitasking 1-shot Rolecop/M Multitasking 1-shot Roleblocker 9p(The 1-shot Rolecop is not a strong role vs two masons, but it avoids very bad results)
2x 1-shot Rolecop/M 1-shot Rolecop 9p(This is the odd one; claiming Day 2 is optimal and may split town or not; but claiming strategy is something you should learn, especially for opens)
4-shot Roleblocker/M 1-shot Rolecop 9p(the 4-shot is not trivial, the mafia can just wait until the shots run out, then kill(at the cost of 1 more mislynch though!) if things went badly early.)
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2020 2:37 am

Post by Isis »

Adding a rolecop to the masons setup not for balance per-se bit because the masons/mafia/vt 5p is awkward is a neat idea.
Masons seems at about the power level needed in the queue while also being a fun role.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Post by Isis »

On the topic of clarity/normalcy, I just found out/realized for the first time the newbie queue is silently using multiaction versions of all of its power roles. The information is in the publicly available role PMs, but it's not specified "new d3 using multiacting scum" nor listed as a Multitasking modifier that would necessarily change the titles of the Mafia's roles. I think that should be cleaner if the newbie queue is supposed to be on on-ramp to the normal queue, either designing the setup so that it doesn't need multitasking, listing the Mafia PRs or both the goon and the PR as multitasking, or listing that it's a rule for the setup that the game will use multitasking scum.
"Well, I..."
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:46 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I will not claim that my setup was perfect.

I will however say that historical evidence showed that it would be balanced but due to improving town play relative to scum play that is no longer really a thing. As previously pointed out, the winrate in individual setups present in both matrix6 and newd3 have universally skewed their winrates towards town and the fakeclaim argument flatly does not apply to at least one (and I strongly dislike how it worked in practice, which was scum claiming doctor D1 and ICs very rarely explaining the situation properly and the game defaulting to not lynching them; seriously look back at Matrix6 and how often scum won by claiming doc and barely playing.)

I think NewD3 is more scum sided than Matrix6 was. I think the gap in observed winrate is due to a shift I have observed across social deduction sites where informed minorities are simply not winning very many games relative to how well they did in the past (ie, spies in Avalon 6P having a >50% winrate that is lower than it was a year ago is still a decline.)

The fact is a lot of these games are not being won by PRs. Scum lynches are happing incredibly disproportionately often on D1 and even the idea of what a town sweep is has changed. Games were describes as town sweeps in the past (2015) that were larges with two mislynches; there were a significant amount of games last year where every scum got consecutively lynches including in larges and sometimes with 0 useful PR results at all. As Ankamius/Alyssa said in a thread at some point this year the bar is just rising for towns.

I am not certain that giving towns less power than they reasonably should have to maintain a 50% winrate is the right answer, and I'm not certain that Skitter feeling like the game is an uphill battle would be a thing if being scum wasn't so oppressive in general at the moment. Even me and FL both lost scum games last year (ego dictates I cite major mod error etc etc) and we have both gone multiple past years undefeated.

I'll finish by again saying that I don't think my setup was perfect and it's not going to last forever but I think that this context might help to explain why the fence was constructed so you can decide whether or not to take it down.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Oh, and :roll: at NSG for lecturing people on scum play!

Also people calling for 2 of 4... it has 1 stupid setup that scum are almost always going to win (Doc VT) and a bunch of setups more townsided than anything in NewD3 (basically anything else), so I am really curious what you see in it.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Post by Isis »

I like the setup being simple to communicate, I'm not committed to what the four roles are.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”