Conspiracy Theory

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Conspiracy Theory

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 10:55 am

Post by Klick »

So this isn't exactly about Mafia, but Conspiracy has been run many times in the Marathon forums so I figure it's fine to post about it here.

I'm up in the air about the 'proper' way to balance randomising roles for this game.

Option 1 - 1/2 chance of No Conspiracy and 1/2 chance of Conspiracy.
Option 2 - 1/
x
chance of No Conspiracy and 1/
x
chance of each individual player being Conspired against (where
x
is the number of players + 1).

Without thinking too hard about it, I thought Option 1 was the obvious choice. But if someone draws a Town Role PM under Option 1, the odds suddenly heavily favor there being No Conspiracy at all. Although Option 2 means there's a very high likelihood of there being a Conspiracy, there are equal odds of there being a Conspiracy when you've drawn a Town Role PM vs No Conspiracy.

So right now I'm leaning Option 2. But have I gone wrong somewhere? Is the actual answer somewhere in the middle?

(title changed because it sounds better)
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 11:13 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Boon ran this as a mini-game in one (or more?) of his games. Can't say I'm the biggest fan though
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Post by Awoo »

Option 2 is correct because of the conditional probability thing.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 2:20 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

option 2
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 11:01 pm

Post by Auro »

Option 2 would mean with a large enough player size, they're all mostly going to be conspiracies. The prior of receiving a town role PM is low. So while 2) is mathematically correct to avoid Bayesian gaming, it's worth trying to find the "middle ground" where all-town priors are also not super unlikely.

Option 3: Hide the protocol. Or say you're following 2), but actually follow 1) or some other 1/y with y<x. Probably after multiple runs town would realize what you're up to though, with the skew in all-town rolls.

Option 4: Explore the math with 2 players receiving town PMs in a conspiracy instead of just one. This would slightly skew the prior Conspiracy chance to n/(n+3) instead, so a slightly larger proportion of games are Non-Conspiracies.

Option 5: Realize that you can lower the Conspiracy rate and still have P(Conspiracy | received town PM) at like 30%, strictly mathematically players should Bayesian but part of the value is figuring out when you're part of that 30%, so people would play as intended. If it's too low (like in Option 1) it's a bit silly to entertain the idea, but this range would be fine.

You can probably combine the above. Having two players roll town in a Conspiracy opens up potential mechanics (like them "finding" each other for example) which could be fun to explore.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 11:36 pm

Post by Auro »

Doubles' ConspiracyIf it's a Conspiracy, 2 players out of N are town, and are informed that the other is town.
If it's a Non-Conspiracy, everyone is town, and each person is informed of one person being town (random pairings)

Win as town by guessing accurately if there's a Conspiracy or not.
Win as scum by making town guess there's no Conspiracy.

Math:
P(C|T) = P(T|C)P(C)/{P(T|C)P(C) + P(NC)}. Here, P(T|C)=2/n, P(NC)=1-P(C). Let P(C) be x.
P(C|T) = (2x/n)/{(2x/n)+ 1-x} = 2x/(2x+n-nx).
Adjusting P(C|T) as 1/3
, we have:
3 = 1+n/(2x) - n/2 => x=n/(n+4)

Which means for a size of 8 players, you have Conspiracies only around 66.6% of the time!

(Btw, math in my Option 4 in previous post was wrong)
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 11:48 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

pairs could be a nice way of leveling the odds when you have a large number of players
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:47 am

Post by Klick »

I knew something was bothering me about Option 2 - thanks for putting it into words Auro.

I like the pairs idea. I'd also be interested in finding a potential ideal N number of town per X total players. A lot of it would probably come down to personal balance preference, but I could see 3 or 4 town being sensible with enough players. Maybe playing around with the number of potential town players in a conspiracy being made public would be interesting as well.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:22 am

Post by Auro »

Auro#6810, feel free to PM me if you wanna discuss there! I can write a small script to run calculations for these scenarios.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:51 am

Post by OkaPoka »

option 1 except you run multiple rounds and if it is no conspiracy, the more people who guess no conspiracy, the less value each correct answer is
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Post by Krazy »

Conspiracy is significantly better if you do not reveal the odds. That's the main thing I've learned from running it
vote conspiracy
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:49 pm

Post by Auro »

People can figure out the odds after a few rounds. In any case where the frequency of Non Conspiracies is significantly more than 1/(n+1) it becomes wise to play Bayesian
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 0, Klick wrote:Without thinking too hard about it, I thought Option 1 was the obvious choice. But if someone draws a Town Role PM under Option 1, the odds suddenly heavily favor there being No Conspiracy at all. Although Option 2 means there's a very high likelihood of there being a Conspiracy, there are equal odds of there being a Conspiracy when you've drawn a Town Role PM vs No Conspiracy.
I'm not sure you're correct that being town implying probably no conspiracy is a bad thing.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Ythan on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:40 pm

Post by Ythan »

Also after playing over a decade of Mafia, Conspiracy is a better game I could really go on about how much I love it and why.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:21 pm

Post by Awoo »

Do it, I wanna hear it.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:29 pm

Post by Ythan »

Well for one it isn't confronted by any of the balance issues that come up when designing a mafia setup. It's essentially intrinsically balanced at any size. And speaking of size, it's perfectly functional with as few as two players. Did we ever even come up with a good five player mafia setup?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:31 pm

Post by Ythan »

And, I find it to simply be more fun to decide conspiracy vs no conspiracy as opposed to whom to lynch.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 12, Ythan wrote:I'm not sure you're correct that being town implying probably no conspiracy is a bad thing.
If people begin to guess "No Conspiracy" as a policy just for overall winrate, it will be. The bias from knowing the probability skew will make it harder to believe you're in a Conspiracy as well.
Ythan wrote:Well for one it isn't confronted by any of the balance issues that come up when designing a mafia setup. It's essentially intrinsically balanced at any size. And speaking of size, it's perfectly functional with as few as two players. Did we ever even come up with a good five player mafia setup?
Different kinds of balance issues, for example: either a town role PM
heavily
implies No Conspiracy, or your games are rarely Conspiracies at larger sizes anyway. The former case I've described above, and the latter would be boring.

I agree the Conspiracy mechanic is elegant. I did propose an experimental mafia-conspiracy fusion setup, I'll paste it back here later.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:40 pm

Post by Ythan »

Tbf I only play it in person and it's honestly a nonissue. Not sure how that might change online.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Post by Ythan »

I've never once seen anyone just vote no conspiracy straight away for the odds, is what I mean.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm

Post by Auro »

Of course, but I'd ideally want to eliminate the bias anyway. If my town role PM means a 75% chance of No Conspiracy, I wouldn't personally be able to detach that from the usual sorting process.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm

Post by Ythan »

I actually like that it makes town complacent but that's a personal preference.
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:09 am

Post by Blair »

In post 11, Auro wrote:In any case where the frequency of Non Conspiracies is significantly more than 1/(n+1) it becomes wise to play Bayesian
This sounds exactly like what a conspirer would say.

VOTE: Conspiracy
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 pm

Post by Auro »

That's a useful note, perhaps when it's not a conspiracy I can just mechanics to make people paranoid :P
word321
word321
Mafia Scum
word321
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Post by word321 »

on a similar note
would it be applicable to apply a condition over a game of conspiracy?
like, if k scum out of n votes for no conspiracy, scum looses the game (limiting scum max voting)
that could actually balance the game in favor of scum in a "1/2 1/2" probability; if u roll town, and ppl arrive at the k barrier, now it is not up to a single town to make a decision if this is scum or not, but several that would be in the fence; either way, that would be a good spice to add
Played in
Newbie 1992
Newbie 1997
Newbie 1999
Large Normal 227
Newbie 2006
Open 784
Open 787
Newbie 2019
, Open 790, Newbie 2022.
Currently playing in Open 794, Newbie2028.
Currently UTC-3.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”