Named Townies in Normals

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Named Townies in Normals

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Post by Persivul »

Personally I don't think named townies should be allowed in normals. While the role itself may be technically normal, I think useless roles go against the spirit of "normal."

I was just in a mini normal in which town had two millers but no cop, and an ascetic encryptor but no hood. I mean wtf? We were playing against mod
and
scum.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

I mean, that's always true. If you don't like town vs. mod, opens are the only way to avoid that.

(There was a town rolecop though, so the millers were not quite named townies. But I agree that the design of that game was pretty weird and needlessly WIFOMy.)
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 2:11 pm

Post by Persivul »

In post 1, Something_Smart wrote:I mean, that's always true. If you don't like town vs. mod, opens are the only way to avoid that.
Yeah I said afterward I was probably moving from normals to opens.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:32 am

Post by callforjudgement »

There's a really hard balancing act in Normals between making the setup too predictable (allowing a player who's good at balancing setups to figure out the alignment of every player who claims a power role purely based on setup balance considerations, making it massively townsided), and making the setup too unpredictable and turning the game into an outguess-the-mod event rather than proper Mafia.

I wasn't involved in the Normal in question, but suspect it went far too far in the direction of outguess-the-mod.

A pure Named Townie in a Normal can only be modWIFOM, and thus should be (and IIRC is) banned. However, it's not uncommon to add roles that could do something but don't, either as Rolecop targets or to make the setup less guessable; I think some amount of that has to be allowed in order to prevent experienced setup reviewers breaking games they play in, but it's clearly possible to overdo it, and probably most Normals at the moment do in fact overdo it.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:33 am

Post by callforjudgement »

(As a side note, my experience is that Miller is used without a Cop more often than it's used with a Cop. Arguably this is a bad thing.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:49 am

Post by Umlaut »

Named Townie isn't necessarily just modWIFOM, it has meaningful interactions with roles like Neapolitan. I would argue it is
less
deceptive for a role intended solely as a zero-utility non-vanilla to be an actual Chocolate Townie, than for it to be something like a Deputy with no Cop.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:51 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

I like named townies
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”