Storytelling through game design: more than writing walls

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Storytelling through game design: more than writing walls

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:17 am

Post by Zaphkael »

It’s time, you’ve been waiting for this moment for so long: you’re finally allowed to design a large theme game. Time to go crazy and write walls upon walls of flavour so you can slap those on an incredibly complex game with mechanics as similar to the source material as possible!
But is it really?

I present to you, my probably really bad take on how you should approach designing theme games. Am I an authority in this? Absolutely not. Do I know what I’m talking about? Absolutely not (or maybe just a little). Do with this what you want, honestly.
So, you have a theme. Now what?

Before writing even a single word, you should decide on what the core mechanics of the game are going to be.
A common mistake/misconception here is that these mechanics should resemble the source material as closely as possible: this is absolutely NOT the case and can ruin your game
. In generic anime #1256 a random person might die to ghosts every night, but killing off a random player every night in your mafia game is usually a bad idea. Instead, try to use mechanics that help capture the feeling of the theme while still being good, healthy mafia mechanics. For example, if you really wish to run your generic anime #1256 game, you can add a serial killer (eww, don’t do this) or, I don’t know, give certain players a role that allows them to vig someone if they work together.
Avoid randomness in your game as much as possible.

Another thing to take into account when designing mechanics is a very simple design philosophy:
less is more
, complexity in simplicity, simplicity in complexity, whatever you want to call it. The less complex your mechanics are, the less pages of your game are going to be filled with posts trying to understand your 10k words essay on what the mechanics actually are. The combination of simple, elegant mechanics that are easy to understand yet really set the theme is what in my opinion makes a game good already.
An example of what I think is good design that furthers the theme is the paint mafia mechanic in cheetory6’s Paint Mafia games: Town players start out as Blue, Mafia players start out as Red, and mafia may paint a player Purple every night. Every day, two voting phases exist: the first to reveal a player’s colour, the second to lynch as normal. It’s elegant, it’s simple, and it’s still very much in the theme of the game.

After mechanics comes roles. They have two major parts: flavour, and the actual role.
Obviously, the roles in the end have to be balanced, and make a nice and elegant setup. The same principle as for the mechanics applies: try to not make incredibly complex roles, the majority of players do not enjoy trying to figure out the riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma that you gave them and asked them to confirm. Additionally, try to have roles that interact with your mechanics; it makes the game look and feel much more coherent. For example, if generic anime #1256 mafia has a mechanic based on people getting magical fairies when they lynch people, you can design roles that steal fairies, track them down, kill them and whatever other cruel things you might enjoy doing.
In terms of flavour, there is one incredibly important rule:
make sure that, by claiming flavour, the game is not breakable
. If you run your generic anime #1256 mafia game and all the bad guys are scum (and you do not provide good fakeclaims) your game is breakable and you should feel bad. What I personally really value and what I think adds a whole new dimension of immersion is giving each player not just a role, but a character to play. In the last two theme games that I ran, every player had a name and their own, little backstory. It gives the player the idea that they’re not just a player in a mafia game, but a person in a story that’s being told as they play. However, be careful with that: if you tell your story through flavour in your game and you mention the names of the characters, make sure players cannot deduce any information from that. You get bonus points from me if you can thematically link the roles you have to the backstory of your characters, but please do not focus on trying to do this – you will probably go insane doing this.

We have finally arrived at the big boy part of this giant rant: the actual flavour. Our current game design has some simple yet very interesting mechanics, characters with backstories and roles that might interact with those mechanics. Now we write our story.
I cannot stress this enough, and am quite guilty of it myself, but
more flavour does NOT equal better flavour
. Sure, you can write a novel worth of flavour like Gistou or Project ARCH, but games like Civilization Mafia and Elemental Trinity were at the very least just as flavourful, with fewer words. There is one massive upside to doing only a small amount of flavour: people actually read it.

In mafia games, the world building is by far the most important aspect of flavour writing
– I should probably call this “the setting” instead, as you can use more abstract flavour than an actual world. An example of a more abstract game could be my Never Left Without Saying Goodbye, where I used rhymes and shamelessly stole gorgeous art from the game Deemo to set a heartfelt, delicate mood (or that’s what I’d like to think, anyway).

Why is this the most important part and not the actual story, anyway? Simple:
the story in a mafia game can change
. Naturally, you have a basic idea of what you are going to tell, but there is always variation: your game might end on day four, or on day six. The good guys can win, the bad guys can win, third party can win (eww). In short, the amount of time you have to convey your story and the outcome of the story might not be as you originally planned. Sure, you can drop a wall of text at the end of the game with everything you still wanted to tell, that’s fine – but you can (and I highly advise this!), in advance, decide on the most important plot points you wish to put in your game, and the amount of those can’t be larger than the amount of days the game lasts at the bare minimum. Between that, you can add in “filler” that writers so lovingly call “world building” instead. Always make sure you can tell what you want to tell, and have room for more.

In my last game which I am again shamelessly mentioning, I had players coming from a certain company. Every day, I wanted to highlight how they were involved in the story, and every night I wanted to show the main story-line (the classic “killing people until you found the bad guy”). In between, my fillers were letters from a certain character to another and other fluff that helped give an idea of what the world and the characters were like.

One last aspect is one I’m absolutely terrible at: lay-out.
Making your game look nice helps a lot in conveying your idea and helps visualize the setting
. A great example of this is almost every Varsoon game ever and this year’s paperback winner, Undertale Mafia. Despite forums being a text-based medium, visuals add so much depth to a game. Seeing pictures of the locations, of the characters, having your votecounts look thematic, putting quotes everywhere and so much more. Go crazy!

That was a lot of rambling and I probably could (and should) have structured it better. I have one last, very important thing to talk about:
be yourself
. You can try to follow whatever bullshit I’ve written down here and make a game that’s passable, but just think of what games have been memorable. Think of what mods have been memorable. There’s always one thing that comes back: they have a unique style, and use it creatively. Off the top of my head I can tell you that Varsoon makes mechanical masterpieces, that FakeGod masters simplicity and that Krazy is immensely creative at making UPicks. You can see one of their games, and almost immediately tell that it actually is one of their games. So, please,
whatever you want to mod, make it your own
. It’ll help you out a lot.

There you have it, my endless and unsolicited rambling, feel free to ask questions and tell me why I’m completely wrong and I’ll be here trying not to cry. Thank you.
Please do not discuss the irony in this being a wallpost

Edit x2: fixed some spelling errors! for the love of god please don't be like me and proofread your shit before posting!
Last edited by Zaphkael on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
But I know, at the end...
Shoot me a message if you need a game reviewed!
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:34 am

Post by Nahdia »

In post 0, Zaphkael wrote: Another thing to take into account when designing mechanics is a very simple design philosophy:
less is more
, complexity in simplicity, simplicity in complexity, whatever you want to call it. The less complex your mechanics are, the less pages of your game are going to be filled with posts trying to understand your 10k words essay on what the mechanics actually are. The combination of simple, elegant mechanics that are easy to understand yet really set the theme is what in my opinion makes a game good already.
still reading but this is a good take.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:37 am

Post by Vi »

In post 0, Zaphkael wrote:Another thing to take into account when designing mechanics is a very simple design philosophy:
less is more
crazy experimental theme mod here
this is the big one as far as Things You Must Do are concerned

If at any time you need more than three lines to describe a role's abilities, it's probably a bad role and possibly even a bad design altogether. Yes, I'm calling out MetaMafia. It's a small miracle that (IIRC) there was only one mod error that didn't matter much, and most of the cool things that were in the setup never amounted to anything anyway (by design! i.e. "yes I like doing extra work for functionally nothing"). (To be fair, in that game the roles WERE the stylish flavor.)

Ideally your new mechanics should be such that you can tell your player list "so this is another game of Mafia, but this time you ___ ___ ___ instead of what you usually do." That's one sentence that covers everything without syntactic torture. With that said, it's fine to have a complex system if it's easily understood... or if the players at large don't need to understand it (see MoHO and MoCO below).

From experience, if the player list has to vote on more than one thing to majority at a time, you've probably got a bad mechanic. It paralyzes the game into immobility. As a reminder, deciding who to rope is one thing.

---

If you're not starting out from the desire to compose a huge flavor pageant and then build a game around it, what you can do is take a simple concept and imagine what kinds of roles would play well with it without adding too much overhead. Some of the ones I've tried include:
*What would happen if the number of posts each player could make per Day was restricted? (Maf.Order - answer, nothing really)
*What would happen if I wanted to let the players design the setup themselves? (MoHO and MoCO - answer, the early game stops mattering)
*What would happen if every Town player who got voted out could take someone with them? (Maf.Invictus - answer, perfect scum win that wasn't even close lol)
*What would happen if there were too many Town players for the Mafia to kill? (Maf.Maiden - answer, really awesome game, and one that I actually did write extensive fanfic flavor in)

...and then you build your flavor around what emerges from that.

As far as an example of meeting in the middle - with Maf.Maiden in particular I started with the flavor that developed a game mechanic that captured the spirit of it. As a general rule I prefer working with global game mechanics to specialized snowflake roles, because the former is easier to balance. If your main character in flavor is a bulletproof one-shot Vig who can force 1v1s with people because they're
that awesome
in the original flavor, that doesn't leave a lot of power budget for much else.

---

This is more of a concurrence than agreement with Zaph, but as far as the text of the flavor goes, it should be exactly enough to accomplish the goal you want. This is true of any writing endeavor - everything you put down should be calibrated for a purpose. Whether it's wrenching someone's heart or conveying badassitude or just weirding someone out, you should be as efficient about it as possible. Apply hook, pull, reach climax, role flip, next phase. I would not consider a Mafia game to be an ideal place to tell an original story, personally, but I'm not the final authority on the matter, so you do you~

---

Real randomness in games is bad
because it's tough to mitigate
and also can catch the mod by surprise. Mods should almost never be caught by surprise. What you -can- do is roll the randomness in advance and then balance around it. To the players, it's still effectively random, but you can catch screwjobs before they happen and either rework the random results or everything around the random results, depending on your priorities.

---

I agree that Theme games are a form of self-expression and you should by all means be
the best version of
yourself. That means your first ideas won't always work, and that's okay. Try to adapt to make them work. Sometimes the ideas need to be thrown out altogether. That's fine; hopefully you've got more than one idea in you. The important thing is that you run quality as often as you can.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:48 am

Post by Nahdia »

Won't dwell too much on the mechanical side of your post since it's not really what it's about. But I do want to say I think there's a place for hyper complex games. Varsoon games in particular are a great example of the far end of the complexity spectrum done well. They don't always work perfectly but they are very fun and engaging. The danger though, as Zaph points out, is that some players will simply miss a lot of details because they aren't going to put in the investment others will. And I don't think that's a flaw on their part.

Also agreed that when it comes to writing flavor, it's good to strive to incorporate your flavor inside your mechanics rather than long death scenes and the like. Not that long death scenes are bad! I'm all for people engaging in their craft and mixing their writing and modding hobbies together. But I think it's a less effective way to immerse your players in that flavor.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:05 am

Post by Vi »

In post 3, Nahdia wrote:Won't dwell too much on the mechanical side of your post since it's not really what it's about. But I do want to say I think there's a place for hyper complex games. Varsoon games in particular are a great example of the far end of the complexity spectrum done well. They don't always work perfectly but they are very fun and engaging. The danger though, as Zaph points out, is that some players will simply miss a lot of details because they aren't going to put in the investment others will. And I don't think that's a flaw on their part.
TBH I disagree with the last sentence. If you have a disclaimer THIS IS 7/5 ON THE COMPLEXITY SCALE and you wave your train track gates with flashing lights and people go in like the first people to die in a horror film, etc.

There's a place for the far end - A Convict's Revenge comes to mind - but if you're capable of doing that then it's probably the case that nothing said so far in this thread should be news to you.
also I may just be envious that my one overly extra complex game wasn't a great idea, and now I can't run them any more >:[

Also agreed that when it comes to writing flavor, it's good to strive to incorporate your flavor inside your mechanics rather than long death scenes and the like. Not that long death scenes are bad! I'm all for people engaging in their craft and mixing their writing and modding hobbies together. But I think it's a less effective way to immerse your players in that flavor.
Long scenes are best when people are
already engaged
in the flavor. This can either be because everyone was already into your flavor from the beginning (puppies! you've seen pictures of puppies, now read cute text about puppies!) or if your short scenes have already been favorably received. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have your scenes get longer as the game goes on.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:08 am

Post by Zaphkael »

In post 3, Nahdia wrote:Won't dwell too much on the mechanical side of your post since it's not really what it's about. But I do want to say I think there's a place for hyper complex games. Varsoon games in particular are a great example of the far end of the complexity spectrum done well. They don't always work perfectly but they are very fun and engaging. The danger though, as Zaph points out, is that some players will simply miss a lot of details because they aren't going to put in the investment others will. And I don't think that's a flaw on their part.
Yeah I agree with this, perhaps it is better to nuance my statement. There is indeed a place for hyper complex games, and I think a lot of good ideas can come from those games, though it's incredibly risky to do so. A game I designed with Frozen Angel and modded with Dunnstral was Inception Mafia and it was, well, stupidly complex. It ended up being breakable, a bunch of mod errors were made despite best efforts, and generally a lot of problems happened that game. When the game was over, a lot of players still mentioned that they loved the mechanics and flavour - and I still think that they were good mechanics and flavour - but it was no longer
really
a game of mafia. There is definitely a place for innovation and hyper complexity, and I know there are a few very mechanical players that love to play these.

I think Varsoon is exceptional at making complex games but somehow manages to keep them very understandable and "simple" in some way, which I greatly admire. However, he's most definitely the exception rather than the rule and unless you're a highly experienced mod, I don't think doing it is the right move.
But I know, at the end...
Shoot me a message if you need a game reviewed!
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:33 am

Post by Ircher »

This is a really good rant/guide to writing flavor, and Zi like many of your points. I think the last point is the most important: you will do best at what you like to do and at what you are comfortable with.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”