Welcome to MS! Where people don't play Mafia???

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Welcome to MS! Where people don't play Mafia???

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

I've always been confused by people who spend all their free time here but never actually play any Mafia games. They say things like, "Mafia isn't fun" and "I used to play, but I don't anymore because it's not fun". Tell me how it makes sense to bash a game on the very site that this game basically originated.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 am

Post by Klick »

Some people don't think Mafia is fun, and that's okay
They might have even thought it was fun at one point, but changed their minds after playing for a while
Meanwhile, they made friends in the community and still enjoy some of the many existing parts of the site that aren't Mafia
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:15 am

In post 1, Klick wrote:Some people don't think Mafia is fun, and that's okay
They might have even thought it was fun at one point, but changed their minds after playing for a while
Meanwhile, they made friends in the community and still enjoy some of the many existing parts of the site that aren't Mafia
You didn't actually answer my question though. Why BASH Mafia when you spend all your free time here? THAT'S what I have a problem with. For all that other stuff, I really don't care. Just don't say Mafia isn't fun because it goes against the reason you came here in the first place. Can people change their minds? Sure! Just find a new hobby.

Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 am

Post by Nahdia »

People do more than just play mafia games here.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 am

In post 3, Nahdia wrote:People do more than just play mafia games here.
I understand that? I am not arguing with that. It's just that if people don't actually play Mafia here, and then complain about how unfun Mafia is, they should probably keep that to themselves.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am

Post by Nero Cain »

ppl are allowed to have their own opinions. I imagine that a lot of people that play only mishmash only aren't as interested in a more competitive game that's not really "friendly". Also, Klick is very likely correct that there are a number of players that DID play but found it "unfun"
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:45 am

In post 5, Nero Cain wrote:ppl are allowed to have their own opinions.
Sure, but it's rude to say, "Mafia is not fun" on a site where that is the primary feature.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:58 am

Post by Nero Cain »

eh.....
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

if im enjoying mafia im not going to say wow i enjoy mafia because

1) its implied im enjoying it if im playing it
2) its a little extra walking around and telling everyone how happy i am

with that being said i can see how its pretty rude to tell everyone else how much i hate playing this game so yeah, you r probably right in the sentiment that we shouldn't vocalize our lack negative emotions towards the game for the sake of the people who r having fun
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:14 pm

Post by Klick »

It might help if you specify where/how people are doing this? It depends on context why someone would talk about not enjoying Mafia. Are people asking them what they think about Mafia?

I can think of a few examples of it being a good/noble thing to talk about your negative experiences/opinions IRT Mafia. The first that comes to mind is that some people like Mafia a LOT and turn it into an obsession (and possibly don't like it as much as they think they do). For someone in that situation, it could be helpful to hear about someone's realisation that they didn't like Mafia anymore.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:19 pm

In post 9, Klick wrote:It might help if you specify where/how people are doing this? It depends on context why someone would talk about not enjoying Mafia. Are people asking them what they think about Mafia?
I'm not going to name names, because that would also be incredibly rude. It's mostly site chate that I see this. People bring up a game or whatever and the next thing you know there seems to be this kind of comradery about how much people disdain the game of Mafia as a whole.

Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 pm

Post by Klick »

Ah. I'll bow out of the conversation then, as I don't use site chat or know its culture. Based on your description, I'm inclined to agree with you if it's in the main site chat lobby.

Maybe there could be different sections in site chat, like there already are on the forum (MD/GD/etc)?
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:26 pm

In post 11, Klick wrote:Ah. I'll bow out of the conversation then, as I don't use site chat or know its culture. Based on your description, I'm inclined to agree with you if it's in the main site chat lobby.

Maybe there could be different sections in site chat, like there already are on the forum (MD/GD/etc)?
I don't really visit those sections very often. I have seen people say stuff like this in the actual game they are playing though.

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Post by Creature »

Idk. Games feel pretty excessively long and soon I get burnt out, eat lots of prods and eventually get replaced.
Sigh
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:51 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I mean, 2-week deadlines are overkill for an activite game.

popopopopopopo
popopopopopopo
Mafia Scum
popopopopopopo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Post by popopopopopopo »

the "no longer using the word lynch" thread was interesting in this regard
I am the fly, I am the fly, I am the fly, I am the fly, fly in the, fly in the ointment
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:25 pm

Post by Ariel »

so what do you like about this website, quick? I only ever see you bash it which is kinda ironic
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:26 pm

In post 16, Ariel wrote:so what do you like about this website, quick? I only ever see you bash it which is kinda ironic
What? Where have I bashed this site? I love playing Mafia. It's the reason I am here.

Ariel
Ariel
none please
Ariel
none please

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Post by Ariel »

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=82969

have seen u say everyone here has a huge ego

etc.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:55 pm

In post 18, Ariel wrote:viewtopic.php?f=115&t=82969

have seen u say everyone here has a huge ego

etc.
I am not really sure how you interpret that topic as anything but me talking about the differences between sites. I NEVER said any site was superior to the other in that whole thread. I got attacked from BOTH SIDES for what I said for what I thought was a pretty balanced view.

I don't believe I have ever said EVERYONE has a huge ego here and if I did it was probably because I was particularly upset because people were treating me unfairly. I DON'T actually think everyone on this site has a huge ego, so let me just nip that in the bud right here.

I will say I don't think you are acting in good faith. Maybe YOU don't like Mafia and are upset I am saying if you don't like Mafia you shouldn't be here saying you don't think Mafia is fun.

Ariel
Ariel
none please
Ariel
none please

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm

Post by Ariel »

nope, not projecting, was just wondering :]
word321
word321
Mafia Scum
word321
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Post by word321 »

I respectfully disagree with ur opinion.
Being a forum, it is ok to use this site to hang around, even if its main purpose is playing mafia,
as long as it doesnt affect the main purpose of the site.

Stating a negative opinion on the game is not bad at all; moreover, it can be incredibly useful. Being aware of things that some ppl may find bothersome or whatnot can help characterize the game; the example above about the game being too long (wich originates from this site mainly using the forum format instead of the chat one, for example), can help characterize some aspects of the game and may be useful on the long run when actually recommending it to friends or whatnots; if u have a friend that simply install one app per day on his phone cause he gets easily bored, or never check emails or whatnots, he will hardly get invested on a game when a single day can last 2 weeks. On the contrary, good opinions can also help characterize the game; for example, ppl who like intriue and social skills usually praise that aspect of the game, so it easier to recomend it and find common ground on such aspects with other ppl.

Ultimately, I think stating opinions rnt bad by themselves; usually what is bad is what surrounds such an act, as with everything rly. If u r offensive, that is wrong not bc of ur opinion, but bc u r offensive (unless it is ur opinion that is offensive); if u r a Knight Templar and constantly tries to monopolize a conversation to try to say that ur argument is the only sole truth, then again, that is the problem, not the opinion.

So in conclusion, I find that giving a negative opinion on the game on a site dedicated to it can even be
helpful
on the long run to characterize it, find flaws and build knowledge on the possible playerbase, and that most of the negative aspects that u probably meant with it originate not from the opinion itself, and henceforth should not be associated with it; again, knight templaring, being offensive, etc, r bad things on their own right, and should be dealt separately of this matter entirely.

So yeah, respectfully disagrees with that.
Played in
Newbie 1992
Newbie 1997
Newbie 1999
Large Normal 227
Newbie 2006
Open 784
Open 787
Newbie 2019
, Open 790, Newbie 2022.
Currently playing in Open 794, Newbie2028.
Currently UTC-3.
word321
word321
Mafia Scum
word321
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:30 pm

Post by word321 »

In post 2, LicketyQuickety wrote:Just don't say Mafia isn't fun because it goes against the reason you came here in the first place.
And this is kind of a Non Sequitur; there is no reason why one cant talk against the reason you initially came to the site. I dnt think its rude either; disagreeing with someone is not inherently rude, even in a site designed specifically to that matter. This is contrasted to actually bad situations; if u r playing with someone that is complaining all the time about the game, then no one is having a good time with that; but if it is not the case, and doesnt directly affect anyone involved, I dnt see why someone would take offense or should take offense on that (unless said person IS actually rude, and again, that is an entirely different problem).
Played in
Newbie 1992
Newbie 1997
Newbie 1999
Large Normal 227
Newbie 2006
Open 784
Open 787
Newbie 2019
, Open 790, Newbie 2022.
Currently UTC-3.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:46 pm

In post 21, word321 wrote:most of the negative aspects that u probably meant with it originate not from the opinion itself, and henceforth should not be associated with it
No, actually, this isn't how I see things. I mean why complain on the site to other player of Mafia that you don't like the game when there's really no reason to say such except to complain? There's usefulness in a lot of things - complaining that you don't like something means that thing probably needs to change, hence, tell the mods what you don't like about Mafia so then can make it better; don't complain to the player based so that you can bond on you both don't like the game that the site is basically for.

Not all complaining is useful. Some complaining is simply complaining.

word321
word321
Mafia Scum
word321
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 pm

Post by word321 »

U r actually completely right; not all complaining is or need to be useful. In general, it can be, or cant, highly depending on the partcular complain; it can lead to constructive dialogue, and it can lead to nothing at all; I just meant that things that may seem wrong at first may end up being useful.
About the intention behind a complain or its necessity, its rly dependant of a case by case basis. On a lot of cases it may be strictly speaking completely unnecessary.

But is it wrong for that? That is a question worth asking. What are we doing after all? We r also complaining about ppl on the site having certain attitude, arent we? That was also unnecessary, strictly speaking, but it ultimately lead to some constructive exchange of opinion, if only to know how other ppl think about it.
Ultimately, most human communication is unnecessary most of the time; and yet there can be value on such a communication, if only to amuse ourselves a little.

So complaining is just complaining, yes; thats also what we r doing right now. But that also dsnt make it inherently bad too; the thing is, I find complaining about the game "as good as" any other complain cause I dnt find it inherently offensive or rude to anyone; if the problem is complains alone, then we should judge every type of complain (including this one), and not specifically the ones associated with the game (wich I also dnt find healthy for every single reason stated above; it is not necessary for something to have an intent to actually be useful. Complaining in general isnt bad).
Played in
Newbie 1992
Newbie 1997
Newbie 1999
Large Normal 227
Newbie 2006
Open 784
Open 787
Newbie 2019
, Open 790, Newbie 2022.
Currently UTC-3.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”