Confirmed, but Teammates Exe Me

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Confirmed, but Teammates Exe Me

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Post by SJReaver »

Greetings.

I discovered Town of Salem last week, and then came upon the wiki for mafia, and now I am here. This game forum is old enough to vote and I've never even heard of it before. Neat!

I die a great deal in this game, which is acceptable. As a new player, I make mistakes.

But my teammates sometimes kill me on purpose and that's not behavior I see happening much. Example: I was in a Lovers game as the Psychic and my partner was the Werewolf. On N2, he murdered me. I was very confused.

In another game, I was a confirmed Jailer and I accidentally murdered an innocent townie. A dead player has whispered me info (it's legal, that was their power) and it directly contradicted what he'd said. I explained what happened, but the town still executed me 7 to 1. (3 baddies) They didn't say they thought I was scum just that I was a bad Jailer.

But I've played in lots of games with bad Jailers and I've never seen them killed for their mistakes.

I don't understand what is going on. Please help.

Thank you for reading.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:44 pm

Post by Nexus »

Welcome.

Sometimes it's due to WIFOM where people are super paranoid and think you're playing some big brain galaxy plays.

Other times it might be because they see you as a detriment to their side, so it's easier to get rid of you.

It might just be a mistake.
Trans rights are human rights.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Post by Ramcius »

Tbh, you probably want to post this in Town of Salem forum, I don't think that many people from here plays ToS
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Post by SJReaver »

The issue is one of player psychology and social interaction.

Have you ever wanted to kill a member of your own team? Has a member of your team ever wanted to kill you, knowing that you were part of the same team?

If so, what is going on that pushes you to that action or prevents it from happening?

I don't think the particulars of gameplay matter when they're so similar.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Yes, but we have longer day phases here, so generally, you can work it out with your partner. Essentially, unless you are getting death tunneled by your partner, fake guilty levels, you generally won’t be able to just get insta killed by your own partner, even if they hate you.

Games typically last longer here than other sites, so it’s more of a commitment which I think dissuades people from generally making plays that drastically decrease their chances of winning, at least on the scum side of things. Don’t need to get into the town side of it :lol:
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:23 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

you keep dyeing b/c most players are trash and/or you are lynchbait
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:27 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

but in the case of the lovers game, he may have seen you as a threat to the scum team so much that he was willing to sacrifice himself.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 am

Post by chamber »

In post 5, Nero Cain wrote:lynchbait
You could try.
Taking a break from the site.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:32 am

Post by Something_Smart »

The average player of Town of Salem is dumber than the average rock.

It's an unfortunate truth, because Town of Salem is a very cool game.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:33 am

It does't have to do with psychology; that stuff doesn't happen here. It really just has to do with people not taking the game seriously.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 3, SJReaver wrote:The issue is one of player psychology and social interaction.

Have you ever wanted to kill a member of your own team? Has a member of your team ever wanted to kill you, knowing that you were part of the same team?

If so, what is going on that pushes you to that action or prevents it from happening?

I don't think the particulars of gameplay matter when they're so similar.
Ah, you want horror stories from ToS? I'll give you one:

It was like 4 years ago, there was revealed mayor, who was forcing executions on people, who disagreed with him. He was pointing at random people and when someone said "What the hell you're doing?", then they became new target and were dealt by the mob and I have to say, it was my most satisfying vig shot ever. Me being run up next day, when I admitted to shoot this dumb mayor was even more satisying

As for gameplay, ToS have very difference balancing compared to forum games, and day phases length isn't even comparable
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:09 pm

Post by SJReaver »

In post 5, Nero Cain wrote:you keep dyeing b/c most players are trash and/or you are lynchbait
Nothing wrong with being trash.

What do you mean by lynchbait?
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:53 pm

Post by Ramcius »

In post 11, SJReaver wrote:
In post 5, Nero Cain wrote:you keep dyeing b/c most players are trash and/or you are lynchbait
Nothing wrong with being trash.

What do you mean by lynchbait?
Lynchbait is a term to describe someone, who attracts a lot of negative attention for no good reason. Usually it's used to say that person plays too bad/anti-town to actually be non-town role (since certain words being banned, I have no idea what should I replace word "scum")
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:08 am

Post by SJReaver »

I call them baddies.

Townies vs baddies.

I read through an old Fire and Ice Mafia thread (Flum, Om, Chet, House, Wake, guile) and while lots of suspicion was thrown on talkative posters, the first ones to get lynched were all vanilla townies who hardly participated. There were two baddies who also were quiet but they came up with good reasons (I'm working 12 hr shifts and I just had a baby) and had other baddies around to help deflect attention from them.

This got me thinking about scumy behaviors vs anti-town behaviors. If you're a townie and you're too quiet, that is anti-town. You're depriving your teammates of information to base their decisions on, and giving active baddie posters more sway.

I think it would be interesting to go through and look at day-1 town-kills. A townie starts with the advantage of being innocent. They don't have the extra baggage of knowing who the baddies, having to constantly obfuscate their intent, and participating in an activity that doesn't interest them. Yet, they still get themselves town-killed. I bet you could see some very common and avoidable mistakes these townies make.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:11 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 13, SJReaver wrote:I call them baddies.

Townies vs baddies.

I read through an old Fire and Ice Mafia thread (Flum, Om, Chet, House, Wake, guile) and while lots of suspicion was thrown on talkative posters, the first ones to get lynched were all vanilla townies who hardly participated. There were two baddies who also were quiet but they came up with good reasons (I'm working 12 hr shifts and I just had a baby) and had other baddies around to help deflect attention from them.

This got me thinking about scumy behaviors vs anti-town behaviors. If you're a townie and you're too quiet, that is anti-town. You're depriving your teammates of information to base their decisions on, and giving active baddie posters more sway.

I think it would be interesting to go through and look at day-1 town-kills. A townie starts with the advantage of being innocent. They don't have the extra baggage of knowing who the baddies, having to constantly obfuscate their intent, and participating in an activity that doesn't interest them. Yet, they still get themselves town-killed. I bet you could see some very common and avoidable mistakes these townies make.
You can't say "scumy" any more
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:40 am

Post by SJReaver »

In post 14, Ramcius wrote: You can't say "scumy" any more
I've looked through the rules and couldn't find that.

It seems unusual on a site called Mafiascum with awards called Scummies and a sub-forum called Get to Know a Scum.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 am

Post by Titus »

In post 4, Flavor Leaf wrote:Yes, but we have longer day phases here, so generally, you can work it out with your partner. Essentially, unless you are getting death tunneled by your partner, fake guilty levels, you generally won’t be able to just get insta killed by your own partner, even if they hate you.

Games typically last longer here than other sites, so it’s more of a commitment which I think dissuades people from generally making plays that drastically decrease their chances of winning, at least on the scum side of things. Don’t need to get into the town side of it :lol:
I'm adding a rule that teammates cannot kill each other in night phase deliberately without consent of the dying party.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:11 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 15, SJReaver wrote:
In post 14, Ramcius wrote: You can't say "scumy" any more
I've looked through the rules and couldn't find that.

It seems unusual on a site called Mafiascum with awards called Scummies and a sub-forum called Get to Know a Scum.
They banned "lynch" just recently (and other sites too from what I hear), "scum" is going to be next in line for same reasons, site might be renamed, look pinned thread
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:26 am

Post by T-Bone »

Welcome to the forum!

It's hard for our users to answer why players on Town of Salem are acting the way they are in games. By the nature of their quick games, chatroom set-ups, and emphasis on power roles, they are essentially playing a different game of mafia than we do here.

It is unlikely that the situations you described would happen here. 100% they would not happen in the Newbie Queue. Which if you haven't signed up for a game yet, is where I recommend you start!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:56 am

Post by SJReaver »

Yeah, I'm in the Ferret Newbie Thread with the worm-mod.

DIE MAFIA SCUM!!
ItalianoVD
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Post by ItalianoVD »

What is Town of Salem?
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Post by Blair »

EpicMafia but less fun.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:33 pm

Post by SJReaver »

In post 20, ItalianoVD wrote:What is Town of Salem?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3342 ... _of_Salem/

I picked it and the DLC up. You log in, wait for game to queue. Most games last 10 minutes.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:14 am

In post 21, Blair wrote:EpicMafia but less fun.
Whoa there. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:31 am

Post by Blair »

I will not elaborate on if that was a compliment to EpicMafia or a sick burn to Town of Salem. I like to live dangerously.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot

Return to “Mafia Discussion”