Update on Open Queue Discussions

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Update on Open Queue Discussions

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:56 am

Post by the worst »

Hello, people of MD!

Over the last few weeks, a small group of open setup enthusiasts have been speaking with T-Bone in an effort to make some tweaks to the way the Open Queue works. It's my great honour to be making this post on behalf of the newly-formed
Open Review Committee
!

Besides the formation of the committee, we haven't made any formal changes yet. Once we've locked in the plan, there will be a more detailed announcement and a full review of the current Approved Open Game list. But before we went down this path, we wanted to get some feedback from the wider open game community.

Talking Point 1: What is the purpose of the approved games list? How do we keep it relevant?

The Approved Open Setup list was originally formed by LlamaFluff as an effort to ensure balanced games were run by unproven moderators. Over time, site meta has shifted and some setups have been either proven broken or fallen out of favour. Some approved setups really just need to be retired. Some stellar new opens have not been considered properly for approval. This creates an awkward situation where approved (allegedly balanced) games which new moderators can run aren't filling, and experimental unknown (possibly unbalanced) opens run by veteran mods are firing within a day. We feel it's time to both review the approved opens, but also re-invigorate the original idea of the Approved Open Setup list.

What makes the Open Queue unique? What is the "open setup experience"?

Several points were made around what makes the open queue unique. This ideology lends well to the secondary task of reviewing the Approved Open Setups list. However, to ensure our vision is carried through the process we've summarised our vision as follows:
  • Open games have the opportunity to create an expected alteration of the core game of mafia. You can't run Noughts & Crosses Mafia as a closed game. You can't run The Coalition as a closed game. It is possible to create an altered experience in a theme game, but opens have the unique additions of replayability, and an expectation of how the game's structure will be altered.
  • Open games should prompt a high level of skill. This is pretty self-explanatory; you can't fake-claim doctor and coast through Vanilla 8-ball. You can't rely on an investigative to seize the day in Black Flag Nightless. These setups reward strong day-play (and night-play, where appropriate).
  • Open games remove mod meta & mod WIFOM from the equation. There is a limited amount of fun in attempting to outguess setup design in closed games. However, playing "guess the setup" is a different experience from playing a game of Mafia. Open games separate the experience.
How do we restructure the Approved Open Setup list to meet with this vision?

We feel that there needs to be a better review of new open setups, and whether they should be approved. Ultimately, this will be part of the responsibility of the Open Review Committee. In order to do so though, we are considering changing the structure of how open games are categorised.
  • The Approved List

Setups which have been approved to be run by new moderators. These games should be considered fun (likely to fill), and are expected to be balanced.

Why do we have this list?

This list would be semi-regularly monitored to ensure it suits our vision. Setups which are out of fashion or broken should be considered for retirement from this list.

Who can mod games from this list?

Anyone. To re-iterate: the intention of this list is that it is filled with games which are considered balanced & likely to fill in the queue.

• Untested

Setups which could functionally be approved, but require playtesting to ensure it meets the Approved Setup criteria.

This category would be the list which the ORC consider new Approved setups from, and should be accessible to open setup designers.

We are considering conditionally allowing first time moderators to run games from this list.

We will elaborate on the suggested method for making a setup "Untested" further down in this post.

• Retired Approved Opens

A home for legacy approved setups. In many cases, setups will be retired because they have been upgraded or just aren't appropriate for current site culture.

They could still be balanced and/or fun! They just aren't setups which we feel are appropriate for first-time moderators at the moment.

Veteran moderators are welcome to run games from here, but should be aware that these setups have been retired for varying reasons.

• Unapproved

Setups which fall outside of the other categories. This is everything from setups designed for theoretical/EV purposes, to setups which are not necessarily designed to be balanced.

To categorise games which fall outside of the other lists.

Veteran moderators can run games from this list.
... So what exactly is the purpose of the Open Review Committee?

The ORC would schedule meetings semiannually, at a minimum. We will be responsible for monitoring community feedback, and with T-Bone as our
Uruk-hai
chairperson, make decisions about which setups need to be brought into or removed from the Approved Open Setup list.

Simply, we will be:
  • Monitoring community feedback on Approved & Untested setups.
  • Reviewing all existing setups in the Approved list to ensure they are still fit for purpose (balanced and likely to fill).
  • Reviewing games in the Untested category to determine whether they should be Approved.

This talking point was the bulk of the purpose of our original discussion. The rest of the talking points are suggested action points, and are a lot more succinct.

Talking Point 2: What is the Open Queue experience for a first-time moderator?

It is extremely important that newbie mods' games aren't pulled from the open queue. Open micros are firing in the micro queue, while mini opens are stalling in the open queue. This isn't really the purpose of the Micro queue, and diverts a lot of traffic which should really be going through the open queue.

Obviously, first and foremost, giving newbie mods a new list of Approved games is the first step in fixing this. Setups in the new Approved list should meet the following criteria:
  • Fun and popular setups. First-time mods' games need to fill nearly-all of the time.
  • Balanced. First-time moderators shouldn't be thrown into unbalanced setups.
  • Low complexity. First-time moderators should be able to understand the mechanics fairly easily if flying solo.
  • Tested. Precedent helps a lot with a debut modding experience; this also lends into balance.
We have been throwing around the idea of implementing a "moderator IC" system.

The Open Queue would keep a queue of experienced moderators who are willing to be backups for first-time moderators. They would be available to help with day-to-day running of the game (drafting setup posts & PTs, VCs if the primary mod is unavailable, etc.) but would most importantly be there as backup for more complex setups.

If a first-time moderator is using a setup from the Approved list, this would be a mutually-voluntary arrangement. The new moderator may request a Mod IC, who would be allocated by the Open Queue. The first-time moderator may also source their own co-mod/backup mod.

However, if the first-time moderator wishes, they may request to run a setup from the Untested list. If they take this option, then they will be required to have a Mod IC.

Talking Point 3: What is the process for approving open setups?

We would like to provide an opportunity for open setup designers to have their games flagged to be Approved. This process also makes the ORC's life a whole lot easier.

To be brief:
  1. The setup is drafted & posted in the Open Setup sub-forum, whether independent or part of a design contest.
  2. The setup is passed for fun and balance. Part of this consideration should be whether it should be reviewed for Approval. It would need to receive a minimum of two 'passes'.
  3. The designer of the setup would create a Wiki page for it, or find someone who is willing to do so.
  4. Once this is done, please raise it the ORC's attention: we will decide if the setup is appropriate for Approval, and shift the setup from Unapproved to Untested.
  5. We will aim to run the setup to gather game-play data, and see what people think of the setup in practice.
  6. The ORC will review whether the setup should be Approved. These meetings should happen a minimum of semiannually.

Talking Point 4: If we proceed with the new list structure, are there better ways to generate playtest data?

This one is pretty important, but also the most abstract by far. I think community feedback is probably going to decide exactly how we tackle playtesting Untested setups.

Should the Open Queue, as an institution, be taking more direct responsibility for the design contests?

At the moment these are run by the awesome people of the Open Setup Discussion sub-forum.
I don't think any of us want to change the structure of the contests. The way they're run right now is fantastic.

What we were wondering, is whether the Open Queue should incentivise entering the contest.
  • Should winners be immediately considered for the Untested list?
  • Should outstanding well-liked setups from the contest be immediately considered for the Untested list?
  • Should we queue these as 'to-be-run setups' in the Open Queue, as well as the regular moderator queue?
  • Should these setups be open to first-time moderators using a Mod IC? These generally, in practice, fill quite quickly so make for exciting modding debuts!
This one is a no-brainer, but we would be very interested in running more Untested opens in a Marathon format.
We will always have regular Marathon Weekends, and The Marathon Weekend Open Crew will be very well-positioned to do this! Join now!
#shamelessplug

If you've read this far, thank you! We're excited to engage with the community about the way we tackle this project.
How do you feel about our suggested changes?
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:27 am

Post by northsidegal »

i'm glad to see more of an interest being taken in this subject

unsure as to how i feel about the additional "infrastructure" so to speak of the open review committee (although my stock analyst tells me to invest in the "theme review society", looking at the trends). i feel as though in an ideal world the judgment of what ultimately gets added to the approved setup list should basically just be a part of being the open listmod, although obviously still taking into account feedback already provided on setups and information gained from playtests. especially given that these meetings are apparently "semi-annually", it seems like just the addition of extra "bureaucracy" so to speak for what will ultimately not make much of a difference from the current state of affairs (although it's possible my thinking this is just the product of recent cynicism).

I think the biggest barrier to any sort of reform to the approved setup list is the wiki. As it stands now the approved setup list is practically meaningless. The distinction on the wiki is really unclear and causes people to mess it up frequently. There's no dedicated "approved open" category, it's just that any setup that
isn't
approved is supposed to be categorized as "untested", which obviously leads to confusion when people create their own setup pages, don't realize this, and end up putting things in the approved category.

i still think that the limited nature of the queue itself is a barrier to games filling quicker as i've talked a bit about before, and that if you want a good way to test untested setups then adding a dedicated slot in the queue for that would be a good idea.

marathon weekends are indeed a great way to test open setups, although i'm not sure i'd call them all that "regular", at least in the frequency sense. i dunno, i suppose i'm coming off very cynically and negatively here, but in the end i guess more of an interest being taken is still a good thing regardless of the specifics
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 am

Post by Alisae »

about time we purged all of the multiball from the open queue
GTKAS
| here.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:59 am

Post by T-Bone »

Sorry I want exclusively multiball for my new vision of Opens
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 am

Post by T-Bone »

But in seriousness, the 'approved open setup' list as it currently exists on the wiki is getting trashed. We're starting from scratch there. That I can confirm.

Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 3, T-Bone wrote:Sorry I want exclusively multiball for my new vision of Opens
GTKAS
| here.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:54 am

Post by Nahdia »

i mean i dont love multiball but i think the open queue is the perfect place for multiball to exist. biggest problem with multiball is when it's a surprise.

anyway i kind of agree with nsg that adding more "infastructure" to the queues is something to be wary of. though in this case, i think it clarifies out of date systems and that's probably good.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:35 pm

Post by the worst »

I definitely see what you mean about the dangers of adding more bureaucracy, nsg. For what it's worth I don't envisage the final decisions will rest with anyone except T-Bone. More objectively, two of the greatest value adds I see the committee offering are division of labour (monitoring community feedback + avoiding the fatigue of one person singlehandedly doing it) and increased accountability. I don't think reviewing the lists every 6 months fixes much. I do think enforcing a maximum 6 months between reviews gives us a chance to whip the list into shape.
I think the biggest barrier to any sort of reform to the approved setup list is the wiki. As it stands now the approved setup list is practically meaningless. The distinction on the wiki is really unclear and causes people to mess it up frequently. There's no dedicated "approved open" category, it's just that any setup that isn't approved is supposed to be categorized as "untested", which obviously leads to confusion when people create their own setup pages, don't realize this, and end up putting things in the approved category.
This in particular is a great point. I think our suggestions have the potential to clarify the wiki/list membership issues. But only if we ensure the way we restructure the lists actually adds that clarity.

I totally understand the place you're coming from with this - and the actual announcements & update on the lists/structure is still to come, so this feedback is really valuable. I don't think any of us think that just throwing a committee at the problem will fix it. But I think it gives us greater opportunities to fix things.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Post by T-Bone »

So here's a brief outline of my vision for what the new approved open list will look like, after discussions with the open games crew and such. I want the list to be representative of the open set-up experience. I want it to represent what game designers can do with opens that cannot be done with closed games. I want mods new and old to be able to pick a set-up and successfully run it. I want the games on the list to provide a fun experience. Where possible I want to take advantage of the open design space through unique mechanics, roles, etc.

The current list stands at around 60. There are a lot of redundancies that we will probably remove. I don't feel that we need a dozen semi-open set-ups on a matrix. We don't need a dozen near vanilla or mountainous set-ups. We don't need setups based around a single role or single pairing of roles.

We do need set-ups with interesting mechanics, twists on familiar formulas, and other action verbs that I am too lazy to come up with at midnight. The Crew is working on destroying the current version of the list right now. Then we'll work on rebuilding it at some point.

TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:25 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I'm of the opinion that bastard setups (the sole exception would be lying in Role PMs, but that's exploiting a technicality of how bastard is defined) and setups with unavoidable RNG in action resolution should not be approved open setups.
time will end
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:21 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Of all multiball/bastard setups I could only find two who
could
be appropiate for the Approved category:
Fire and Ice

-Fun and popular - Played extensively, should be fun(for people liking Multiball, of course).
-Balanced and tested - Playtested extensively, win rates within acceptable parameters(not perfect, town win rate is a bit lower than 33%).
- Low complexity - different flavoured kills, a Doctor, Crosskills cancel each other out, Multiball... complexity is still ok for a first time mod.

Currently approved.

Jester Nightless
-Fun and popular - Played a good number of times, easy to fill(you need only 9 players, and there are enough people who like this)
-Balanced and tested - Not tested that much, but EV was pretty good, and there are no obvious balance flaws that showed themselves.
- Low complexity - For the mod, yes. Nightless, a game ending Jester, the Jester dies at the start of Day 4, that`s all easy to do. No active abilities whatsoever.

Currently not approved or in testing phase.

Do you have more?

About the categories:
I`d like to have one more category:
Acceptable

Complex setups that are thought to be balanced and popular.

Reasons for this list:
This list would host setups that can be run by experienced moderators who want to run setups too complex for new moderators that are easy to fill and balanced, and being on that list indicates(for potential players) that the setup is being considered balanced. It would not be good to put these setups into the Unapproved category with all the other possibly unbalanced or unpopular setups.

Experienced moderators. These games are on this list because they are too complex for newbie moderators, but otherwise tested as balanced and popular.
Last edited by Not Known 15 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:26 am

Post by T-Bone »

Yes, feel free to make recommendations of setups you want to see on the new list. Assume that every setup on the old list is not guaranteed, so if you really like certain setups from there, make those recommendations.

Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:32 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 11, T-Bone wrote:Yes, feel free to make recommendations of setups you want to see on the new list. Assume that every setup on the old list is not guaranteed, so if you really like certain setups from there, make those recommendations.
I also edited in a recommendation for a new category.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Actually, I have two potential categories:
The category Acceptable from above:
Spoiler:
Acceptable

Complex setups that are thought to be balanced and popular.

Reasons for this list:
This list would host setups that can be run by experienced moderators who want to run setups too complex for new moderators that are easy to fill and balanced, and being on that list indicates(for potential players) that the setup is being considered balanced. It would not be good to put these setups into the Unapproved category with all the other possibly unbalanced or unpopular setups.

Experienced moderators. These games are on this list because they are too complex for newbie moderators, but otherwise tested as balanced and popular.

and the category
Terrible

Setups that are thought to be highly unpopular and either unfun or with a history of clogging up the queue.

Reasons for that list: there were frequent complaints about setups clogging up the open queue because no one wanted to play them.

Experienced moderators, with general approval from the list mod(e.g. "The queue is empty. You may apply to run games from the Terrible list"). Only one game of this category may be in signups.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:20 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Or.... are the setups not in any list the unplayable setups?
Also: Contest winners should not get approved/sent to Untested automatically, they could be complex setups more suited for my proposed category Acceptable than Approved.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Post by Isis »

Agreed; similarly contest entries that place second/third that don't have those kinds of complexity issues should but put onto the list for testing
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Mafia Discussion”