normal role/modifier tier list

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:53 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 24, TemporalLich wrote:I feel Watcher is a very powerful investigative role, kinda like it as it's not as boring as a Cop but is still a high power role
ya its rly good and braindead its honestly a better doctor tbh.
GTKAS
| here.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:53 am

Post by Nahdia »

i liked schadd's point about how watchers (and psych/det) complicate the calculus about who should be making the nightkill though. personally i think that whole song and dance is one of the more unfortunate, unfun parts of mafia. there should generally be a clear calculation as to who is doing the killing.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:55 am

Post by schadd_ »

loud is good because like. ME?????

actually announcing probably has that same charm
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:58 am

Post by Nahdia »

yeah i think loud/announcing are just neat ideas with a lot of potential behind them.

announcing i like less because generally the person who actually did the targeting can just confirm themselves and have their roleclaim be unassailable. otoh, announcing on an anti-town player with like, a roleblocker or a neopolitan or something is a really interesting dimension, especially if the scum harnasses that for wifom.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

-Zaphkael, 2020
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:01 am

Post by Alisae »

loud and announcing are good ya
i like the version where the action is posted in thread by the mod like "a protection action was used on this person" or "player used a protective action" or "Player performed an action on X" but I wouldn't put them on a tier list higher then more generic modifiers that are more important for game balance.
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:01 am

Post by Alisae »

also while we're here
fuck ninjas
GTKAS
| here.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:03 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 21, schadd_ wrote:
In post 10, Ircher wrote:What's wrong with strongman?
when a doctor protects someone but they die anyway it sucks. moreover that should uniquely suggest a roleblocker
I don't know... I feel (gated) strongman is useful for those situations where scum need a role to break a breaking strategy, but you don't want to give them the power of a roleblocker. I guess Macho works to an extent along the same lines, but meh...
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:08 am

Post by schadd_ »

macho is better (it works regardless of when the claim happens)
free darius mccollum

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:28 am

Post by Vi »

Oh, wait, I misread Detective as "identifies whether this player
can kill
. Never mind then, good role.

Night 3 roles seem kind of awful in any Mini setup. Like if you're going to make someone wait that long for something it seems way more fun to have a Town (whichever Night you expect to have four players alive) Multitasking Vig + Vig instead. If you have an example of it working well I'm open to etc.

If an investigative gets three results by Day 5 then it seems like something else has gone drastically wrong for the Mafia anyway.

With multitasking it's more that I really don't want to deal with multiple results in one Night. In a game where you have a team full of unique and necessary power roles then it's kind of unavoidable.

Gunsmith feels like one of those roles that was invented after the boomers came up with Mafia but before any kind of standardization occurred. Like Hider. It's not openly bad-but-if-you-squint-it's-good like Usurper or Traitor but complex enough that I'd really rather not.

Neapolitan vs. Vanilla Cop depends on how many power roles you give the Mafia I guess.

Macho being unfalsifiable - Anyone can claim it and the only way to prove it is if they die. I'd put it anywhere. I'd put it on a veet to see what they do with it.

Follower being like Tracker - Nah. If you Track someone to a kill they can claim some other power role. If you Follow someone to a kill they're screwed.

I didn't follow what you meant by "no randomization" in re: Compulsive.

I want LOUD to be good but purely for memes
but like
confirming that someone is a power role feels like a slightly more dumb version of Friendly Neighbor (another post-boomer pre-standardization role), which at least gives them something worthwhile

now if it caused the mod to send someone a PM like "except you couldn't sleep because SOMEONE couldn't resist dropping some of the summer's phattest beats while they skulked in the dark" it would jump to the top of my list
and in fact this may be the strongest argument for the Tourist role (we're going to call Visitor Tourist now)

strongman is still bad because you're forcing a hidden and unforeseeable exception to a player's Role PM
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 33, Vi wrote:If an investigative gets three results by Day 5 then it seems like something else has gone drastically wrong for the Mafia anyway.
sometimes they just dont find the PR.
In post 33, Vi wrote:Gunsmith feels like one of those roles that was invented after the boomers came up with Mafia but before any kind of standardization occurred. Like Hider. It's not openly bad-but-if-you-squint-it's-good like Usurper or Traitor but complex enough that I'd really rather not.
the boomerosity of gunsmith is another positive for me
In post 33, Vi wrote:Macho being unfalsifiable - Anyone can claim it and the only way to prove it is if they die. I'd put it anywhere. I'd put it on a veet to see what they do with it.
sure. macho townie is good
In post 33, Vi wrote:Follower being like Tracker - Nah. If you Track someone to a kill they can claim some other power role. If you Follow someone to a kill they're screwed.
in practice i think tracker guilty is the most damning result that's still not a true Guilty, but sure there's a difference. as a sidebar there was a funny thing recently where nahdia (from this thread earlier. hi nahdia!!) got tracked to the nightkill target, that they didn't kill, except they were mafia anyway
In post 33, Vi wrote:I didn't follow what you meant by "no randomization" in re: Compulsive.
in normals there is the principle that nothing can be randomized, so in order to deal with that for compulsive, any compulsive role has to provide this whole ugly priority list in case they don't submit an action
In post 33, Vi wrote:strongman is still bad because you're forcing a hidden and unforeseeable exception to a player's Role PM
yes
free darius mccollum

Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 am

Post by Nahdia »

i like follower as a scum role a lot. as a town role it's obviously more powerful but not untenable.
schadd_ wrote:as a sidebar there was a funny thing recently where nahdia (from this thread earlier. hi nahdia!!) got tracked to the nightkill target, that they didn't kill, except they were mafia anyway
yeah that was.... idek. i look back on that and just wonder why the fuck i let that action go through, hahahhaa.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 am

Post by Isis »

In post 20, schadd_ wrote:vig is kind of unlike these things - the reasoning to vig someone is different from the reasoning to cop someone, and simply appearing to be town is a much better counterplay against vigs than cops. in any case: vig is as high as it is because it's literally fun. waking up to a mafia getting shot is like mindblowing. if it doesn't get you giddy i have no idea why you play mafia
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 am

Post by Vi »

In post 34, schadd_ wrote:
In post 33, Vi wrote:If an investigative gets three results by Day 5 then it seems like something else has gone drastically wrong for the Mafia anyway.
THEN PERISH
sometimes the town doesn't find the mafia
In post 33, Vi wrote:I didn't follow what you meant by "no randomization" in re: Compulsive.
in normals there is the principle that nothing can be randomized, so in order to deal with that for compulsive, any compulsive role has to provide this whole ugly priority list in case they don't submit an action
oh ew good point
I was figuring I would, like, verbally abuse the person with the role until they sent something in or I felt better
and then come back in four hours
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 37, Vi wrote:I was figuring I would, like, verbally abuse the person with the role until they sent something in or I felt better
and then come back in four hours
sounds fantastic i'll try it out sometime :good:
GTKAS
| here.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 37, Vi wrote:
In post 34, schadd_ wrote:
THEN PERISH
sometimes the town doesn't find the mafia
imo PRs should represent, like, 30-40% of gameplay at most

so somebody that, as scum, is dayplaying perfectly well but is actively sucking ass with finding PRs (and like: at the end of the day there is just not a lot to go on) should still have a relatively reasonable game
free darius mccollum

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 17, Nahdia wrote:rolestopper (why tf does normal use the "stops kills" variant of this????)
It effectively has both. The version that doesn't stop kills is Personal Rolestopper.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:15 pm

Post by Nahdia »

well that's a very good role.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Post by Isis »

I so very hard disagree with the idea that mafia should be expected to reliably detect PRs.

I believe a world where humans are that good at psychology mountainous setups would be balanced at 8:5 because there is a hundred times as much information leaking from alignments as there is from PRs
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:46 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 42, Isis wrote:I believe a world where humans are that good at
so a world that doesn't exist
got it
GTKAS
| here.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Post by Isis »

It's also not very fun to PR hunt while it is fun to find scum and to a lesser extent fun to hide being scum.

So diffusing weak power throughout the setup so that PR hunting is the least tested skill is appealing to me, and that sounds like it's what schadd does.

I'm probably gonna look for schadd's name next time I join a normal.
In post 43, Alisae wrote:
got it
Yes I am saying that world doesn't exist
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Post by Isis »

It's also not very fun to PR hunt while it is fun to find scum and to a lesser extent fun to hide being scum.

So diffusing weak power throughout the setup so that PR hunting is the least tested skill is appealing to me, and that sounds like it's what schadd does.

I'm probably gonna look for schadd's name next time I join a normal.
In post 43, Alisae wrote:
got it
Yes I am saying that world doesn't exist
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:12 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 40, callforjudgement wrote:
In post 17, Nahdia wrote:rolestopper (why tf does normal use the "stops kills" variant of this????)
It effectively has both. The version that doesn't stop kills is Personal Rolestopper.
Minutiae: Personal Rolestopper stops Vigilante kills, while Asceticizer doesn't.
time will end
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

That's why I said "effectively". Generally speaking this is a good thing in Mafia hands; I'm less clear on which way round would be more interesting/setup-usable in town hands, though.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”