A behavioural view of toxicity & moderation on MS

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

A behavioural view of toxicity & moderation on MS

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I have been meaning to talk about this for a while, but I've grown more and more distant from MS. Regardless, for the sake of getting it all out of my head I'm going to post this anyway!

In many games known for their toxicity, using League of Legends and DoTA as my core examples, from a rational point of view toxicity is an entirely negative thing to engage in. You increase the odds of your getting banned or chat restricted from the game, you distract yourself from the game that you're playing, you distract others from the game that you're playing, and you generally decrease your teams odds of winning. I don't believe that any of these claims deserve much in the way of justification; the League of Legends client likes to regale players with information on how much lower your odds of winning are when the game gets toxic. As a result, there is effectively no motivation to engage in it, but yet it still happens. The reason is that the toxicity is intrinsically motivated, for the toxic player unleashing the torrent of insults is inherently rewarding and its effects on the game at large are something that they tolerate to receive that reward. The tight timeline of a game also gives players no time to 'wind it down' so to speak, and try to reach a cool state. As a result, despite the fact that the designers effectively use both reinforcers and punishers to discourage toxicity and encourage positive behaviour, toxicity continues in League of Legends. That is not likely to change in the near future.

But that's a different game entirely! This is Forum Mafia! It actually, at least in theory, has several advantages to discourage toxicity as relative to League of Legends. The first is the lack of anonymity; any actions you undertake in one game can be traced back to you specifically and may come back to bite you, discouraging toxic behaviour. This is one contributor to the pattern that I noticed back when I played league that once you reach a high enough ELO to be consistently playing with the same people, no one really acts toxic in the same way because it has consequences! People remember. Another is that you have at least in theory an entire day phase to respond to things that upset you; you can simply step away and forget about it for a while, and then come back whenever you aren't in an enraged mood. Another (really piling them on) is that the game isn't competitive in the same way that League of Legends is; no one is really tracking winrates except those few weirdos who take this way too seriously. A final reason is just the general atmosphere of the site; people behave in the same way that people around them behave and mafia is just generally less toxic to be in than league which discourages people further from being toxic in a virtuous cycle most of the time! And yet, we still see toxicity. Hmm.

On the other side, there is an extremely big reason to be toxic in mafia that doesn't exist in League of Legends. Simply put, toxicity
works
. I am willing to do the legwork citing this claim if it is necessary, but I believe to nearly everyone on this site it goes without saying without me fishing for examples and potentially offending people. There are many many examples of both town and scum either securing the lynch they want or avoiding being lynched when they don't want via toxic behaviour. An interesting addendum to it is that people are generally a lot more accepting of this behaviour from town. For my own part, and I cannot back this up outside of my own personal experience, I consider the optimal strategy in mafia to be something along the lines of
being as toxic as you need to be
. In general I do not think it is reasonable possible to convince someone to lynch or ignore a person being toxic and fighting hard without using the same kinds of behaviour yourself. What you end up with is a system where toxic behaviour is being either continuously or intermittently (depending on how often you think this works) positively reinforced with the desired lynches when sought, and negatively reinforced via the removal of scumreads. Another way of saying this is that every time a player successfully gets their way via a toxic fit, they are conditioned to use that kind of behaviour in the future. Other players also learn from this, and are also more likely to use that kind of behaviour in the future. It's a vicious cycle of escalating toxicity.

The answer to this, of course, is to have rules. And ban players who don't follow the rules. That way, you have clear guidelines in terms of what behaviour is and isn't acceptable and you have a consistent system to punish people with, and quickly (because punishment immediately following behaviour is most effective) correct? Well...
Since Mafia is based largely on conflict and psychological manipulation, we are somewhat more tolerant of aggressive and heated posts in-game than in the rest of the forums. However, game mods will often take action for excessively abusive behavior or slurs, up to and including a force-replacement or modkill. In certain cases, posters with multiple or severe offenses may receive site-wide punishments from the list moderators, such as temporary or permanent bans from joining or playing games. Please refer to the most recent pages of the Ban/Restrictions Announcements thread for an idea of what behavior crosses the line.
This is the entire ruleset around toxicity. Besides slurs, there is no clear demarcation of what is and isn't acceptable besides citing other bans. What does excessively abusive behaviour mean? I'm going to take an example of a ban I am not super keen on, and I won't even dig for my ban for saying Rb 'wasnt as smart as he thinks he is' because hey, it wasnt on a recent page.
Spoiler: Firebringer was banned for a week citing the following 2 posts
Firebringer wrote:So you modkill me post game even though I should have been modkilled immediately and that end the game? lol. Nice job, fucking shit mod.
Firebringer wrote:I have no words for most of you here.

This game should have ended with the happy ever after. I would have been fine with that, most of the players here would have been cool with it. I don't even think Ankamius cared if it happened or not. Yahmose doesn't count cause she doesn't play.

You took the game control out of the players to force us to play a game and make this more toxic and made a situation worse when we could have peacefully ended the game.

in summary, fuck you singletonking.

Okay, sure. So this is the established baseline for what toxic behaviour is? Okay, so everyone is going to be judged according to these standards? Well, let's look at something that didn't get banned.
Spoiler: Not banned
In post 4942, The Fonz wrote:
In post 4940, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 4939, The Fonz wrote:I'm pretty sure the AR wagon just wants to lynch an inactive. If I can find a more viable inactive, I'll go there. It's not hard. Unlike you trying to pass kindergarten.
scum is getting angry and ad homing.

It doesn't address the point.
YOU'RE A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT NERO. YOU ARE A CANCER ON THE SITE AND I HOPE YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE.
In post 4950, The Fonz wrote:
In post 4945, Nero Cain wrote:Like I get that u r scum and you have to pretend to be dumb as shit but there were 24 active players not voting AR98 when I endorsed an Aaron Frost lynch. So I'm not seeing why you needed to try to bargain with me when it was still very likely that an AR98 wagon happens.
YOU DESERVE TO BE TORTURED. EVERY FUCKING GAME YOU ARE THE PRIMARY OBSTACLE TO TOWN ACHIEVING ANYTHING. YOU CONSTANTLY SMEAR PEOPLE WHO ARE SMARTER AND NICER PEOPLE THAN YOU.

DIE.
In post 4955, The Fonz wrote:I'm not getting banned, this is well within the limits of what happened before. You should be banned for being a fucking repulsive piece of shit. You've been an absolute shit lord for over a decade and if you were here in person I would have no compunction in beating you senseless.
In post 4957, The Fonz wrote:
In post 4954, Titus wrote:
In post 4947, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 4942, The Fonz wrote:YOU'RE A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT NERO. YOU ARE A CANCER ON THE SITE AND I HOPE YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE.
enjoy ur ban dickwad
This is over the line Fonz, even if Nero is wrong too.
No, it isn't. How Nero has not been banned in a decade of not playing is a mystery to me. He's a horrible, disturbed little troll.

I don't want to be modkilled because I owe it to the town. This is why I'm angry I'm trying to help town and as ever Nero is the obstacle.
In post 4958, The Fonz wrote:He's an oxygen thief.
In post 4962, The Fonz wrote:That he claims I'm faking it as scum is over the line. He deserves to have bricks thrown at his head.
In post 4966, The Fonz wrote:Like, there are reasons I am holding back from certain expletives. But he needs to know he isn't fit to be alive.
In post 4975, The Fonz wrote:It's not report worthy. I haven't threatened him, and I've steered clear of the worst expletives.

I'm making a simple moral judgement, and that is that the world is a worse place with Nero Cain in it.

This does seem, objectively, to be far far worse than anything Firebringer said. I'm going to leave any comments on why the moderators favor certain players over other out of this post because they're simply not going to be productive. I will simply state that it's pretty obvious that punishment isn't evenly handled. Another example of a similar situation which I won't bother to cite is where Flavor Leaf this year literally stated he had tactically replaced from a newbie and faced no punishment for it. In the past, I was banned simply because the mods speculated I tactically replaced out because they didn't like my replace out. I hadn't. I also got banned for outside influences because I 'talked about a conversation' that had happened outside of the game that was not about said ongoing game. The person that I discussed the game with didn't even get banned for it, so clearly there wasn't a misapprehension that we talked about the ongoing game. Nowhere again in the site's history or before has the outside influences clause been used to ban someone for that.

In general, from a user perspective the moderation is a black box where the punishments are so uneven that there's no clear line that you can draw in the sand and say 'this ought to be actionable!' if saying that someone should be tortured and die isn't, given that basically every toxicity ban in site history is less severe than that. In addition regarding the use of punishment to manage aggression in humans, studies have shown that when punishment is inconsistently meted out it does little to mitigate aggression in younger boys1, with tons of other studies find the same thing, in case the claim that 'inconsistent punishment diminishes its effect' needs justification. Many users like to point out it's the same people consistently getting banned up until they either quit or get permabanned or whatever end result is felt; without accusing the mods of bias, it's a reasonably clear statement that the bans are not doing a great job of managing behaviour. Another issue is the fact that the bans are so delayed from the action being punished; if you spray a cat with a spray bottle right when they scratch you, it effectively discourages that behaviour. If you do it much later, it doesn't work. The same is true with humans; time latency in the punishment is critical for effectively discouraging behaviour. And there is going to be a lot of time latency when the entire toxicity rule is one line and incredibly subjective. And when the ruleset is entirely vague and subject to whatever the mods feel is out of bounds at a certain point, even if they are acting in good faith the punishments are guaranteed to be inconsistent due to factors as simple as whether they've had lunch yet that day.
yes, that's a thing.

In order to fix all three of potential mod bias, inconsistency of punishments, and time latency in moderation, I propose the following:

Vagueness is done. All rules are made very explicit. The community as a whole decides exactly where the line is (erring on the less toxic side) and every rule broken has a specific, scaling system of punishments depending on how often they've been broken. The current system of mods having to decide based on vague instructions whether an action is over the line is done; every report needs to clearly violate a rule and if a rule is clearly violated there is a single, exact punishment that is given in response. Punishments are made consistent, and with less need for mods to consider things a violated rule can be acted on much more quickly and immediately cracked down on. This should in theory dramatically increase the effectiveness of bans at deterring favor, it makes the ruleset and mod actions consistent and fair for all users, and it allows mods to step in much more quickly in instances of rulebreaking in an ongoing game. What's the disadvantage?

Spoiler: I cited something that I thought was outside the realm of common sense
Douglas B. Sawin, Ross D. Parke,
Inconsistent discipline of aggression in young boys,
Journal of Experimental Child Psychology,
Volume 28, Issue 3,
Pages 525-538,
ISSN 0022-0965,
https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0965(79)90079-1.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6579900791)
Abstract: Two studies assessed the effects of interagent, inconsistent discipline on aggression in young boys. One agent responded to hitting behavior with verbal disapproval while another agent responded with verbal approval. In Experiment 1, the frequencies of hitting responses of first- and second-grade boys were examined under four schedules of adult reactions: (1) consistent disapproval; (2) consistent ignoring: (3) consistent approval; and (4) inconsistent discipline (approval from one agent and disapproval from the other). Aggressive responding was least frequent when met with consistent disapproval whereas the frequency of hitting responses in the inconsistent discipline condition was not different than that in the consistent approval and ignore conditions. In Experiment 2, the frequencies of hitting responses were examined under a schedule of consistent disapproval following a brief schedule of either: (1) inconsistent discipline; (2) consistent approval; or (3) consistent ignoring. Hitting behavior during consistent disapproval was greatest following a period of inconsistent discipline and least frequent following a history of consistent ignoring. These findings replicate the results of correlational field studies of the relation between inconsistent discipline and aggression in boys. In addition, these experimental studies demonstrate a causal link and the direction of effects between these variables.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:33 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 0, RadiantCowbells wrote:On the other side, there is an extremely big reason to be toxic in mafia that doesn't exist in League of Legends. Simply put, toxicity
works
toxicity
can
work; it may net you an extra edge in persuasion, or be useful in destroying other players credibility and/or influence. but it can just as easily backfire if townies tune you out or turn on you.

certain towns may even execute you if you suck the fun out of the game - even if it would otherwise be a -EV play.
In post 0, RadiantCowbells wrote:In order to fix all three of potential mod bias, inconsistency of punishments, and time latency in moderation, I propose the following:

Vagueness is done. All rules are made very explicit. The community as a whole decides exactly where the line is (erring on the less toxic side) and every rule broken has a specific, scaling system of punishments depending on how often they've been broken. The current system of mods having to decide based on vague instructions whether an action is over the line is done; every report needs to clearly violate a rule and if a rule is clearly violated there is a single, exact punishment that is given in response. Punishments are made consistent, and with less need for mods to consider things a violated rule can be acted on much more quickly and immediately cracked down on. This should in theory dramatically increase the effectiveness of bans at deterring favor, it makes the ruleset and mod actions consistent and fair for all users, and it allows mods to step in much more quickly in instances of rulebreaking in an ongoing game. What's the disadvantage?
more specificity and/or consistency on implementing rules might be needed (who knows, i'm not super familiar with current meta), but it is naive to expect objective rules to ever encapsulate all you're trying to quell. by explicitly stating the line, you just invite players ruleslawyering who will do clearly toxic things not stated, or pseudo-toxic things just under the line.

how exactly are you going to make explicit rules about what is harassment and toxicity anyway? a post with the exact same wording submitted in a different context or said to a different player can have a completely different meaning. does tone matter? familiarity with the player you are clashing with? what about sarcasm/irony? sounds like you're going to need a lot of rules.

there is always going to be some level of subjective interpretation required - particularly if you end up with a sprawling list of rules covering all the possible edge-cases that could arise. and given games are so dense, with so many posts and interactions, it's going to require multiple different judges of what is toxic behaviour, rather than a single arbiter. inconsistencies are bound to arise. the one you shared in the OP is obviously pretty glaring, so some tightening/clarification may be necessary, but someone's subjective finger will still need to be in charge of the big red button. ensuring the best people are in charge along with not expecting perfection seems fine?

maybe i am pessimistic about what you can actually do at a moderation level to stamp out this stuff. to me, overmoderation is equally problematic, as it trains people out of solving things amongst themselves, when that is sometimes all the action that needs to be done. i don't want every post scanned and interpreted for toxicity even if by the letter of the law, a certain post could be viewed that way. some responsibility has to fall on individual users to let others know when they're crossing the line and to solicit an apology - most of the time this is all that's required. i have a thick skin and can tolerate some playful trash-talking if it's in good spirits, or if its funny. i don't want to see a blanket rule forbidding me from teasing my friends or vice-versa.

we all have different lines, though. all but one time someone has gone over the line with me, i've been able to solve it with a little breaking-the-forth-wall heart-to-heart and letting them know their behaviour is impacting my enjoyment of the game. most of the time, people are willing to tone it down.

at the end of the day, it is just a game. and while it's important to win, it isn't the only important thing. having fun and making sure others are too is equally important if you care about maintaining a flourishing community.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 1, Hoopla wrote:toxicity can work; it may net you an extra edge in persuasion, or be useful in destroying other players credibility and/or influence. but it can just as easily backfire if townies tune you out or turn on you.

certain towns may even execute you if you suck the fun out of the game - even if it would otherwise be a -EV play.
I wondered if further justification was needed so I took the time while writing this to message several people who currently play and ask them if they feel that statement needed further evidence and none of them did.

Regarding the rest, yes a lot of rules are needed. And if someone is staying on the right side of them and the rules are suited to the task of they're trying to achieve, isn't that a success anyway? Seems right now that mod discretion is making things worse for all the reasons stated above.

There's also a wide gap between expecting perfection and being okay with the way things are now; the example cited in the OP is just one (the second worst but only the second worst) example of where the way things are currently done went awry and I'm not here to dilute my message by raising every grievance that I have as opposed to ones that are most relevant, but there's a very clear direction that mod discretion tends to go.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:12 am

Post by Isis »

I agree toxic players enjoy a bump to winrate.
League of Legends toxicity reviewers do not view the username of the person they are considering punishing. That's a meaningful difference. That's probably not feasible for MS.

I'm of the opinion that it would be better for the site if game moderators were more active in warning and forcereplacing for toxicity based on some sort of standard. The current system is, the players get rough. People don't want to report eachother's posts and ask a listmod to look at it, because they're a party to the argument and in a way that's calling it a draw, or sidestepping, or whatever. Or it wouldn't benefit their alignment. Then things get even rougher. Then people start reporting posts at the "even rougher" phase because the integrity of the game or whatever word I'm trying to think of has started to pale in comparison.
The guaranteed impartial spectator should be the game moderator, who can operate based on some kind of consistent standard and issue warnings and forcereplaces based on the discourse in the thread. They probably would like perceive scum as meaner and replace toxic scum 13% more of the time or whatever but who cares.
Since toxicity is hard to define maybe some kind of locksticky with example posts marked "tolerable" and "not acceptable" would be good. It's pretty useful for the ongoing games rule. I don't know if the subjectivity is so thick that wouldn't do enough good.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:19 am

Post by Nero Cain »

being "toxic" as scum has been a strategy since I first started playing. Force replacing players for being "toxic" would put mods in a difficult situation. Its up to town to lynch/vig tocix players regardless of alignment and that will stop players from being toxic. Maybe.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:35 am

Post by Isis »

I just don't understand that view at all. A moderator will never be able to decide whether holding a player to a standard they set by removing them from the game is unjust, but the players will all have an easy time deciding whether forcing a player out of the game with a loss of win% is just or not?
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:27 am

Post by Ramcius »

There should be a line between playing aggressive and being toxic. And toxic players should be replaced by mod
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:04 am

Post by Ircher »

I agree that game moderators should be more proactive in stopping toxicity. Most of the time, I see toxicity get out of hand, and it is only well after the fact that the moderator steps; that is, the moderator steps in only after the damage has occurred. And as Isis points out, the game moderator tends to be in the best position to determine what counts as toxic and what does not count as toxicity. Not only do they set the rules (and therefore the standard), they are also impartial arbiters and the closest such arbiter to the game itself. Finally, as long as you apply a consistent standard, most people will be receptive to the game moderator stepping in and adjust their behavior appropriately.

I also think that like Isis points out, having examples and nonexamples at the universal site level would go a long way towards making the process more objective. As it stands, the toxicity line seems rather subjective, and while I think the majority of people who have gotten banned for toxicity deserved it, a bit more transparency would never hurt. It would also help make it much clearer for each individual player what is allowed and not allowed. Having it as it is currently (a sort of gray area) is confusing and doesn't help prevent toxicity in games because players do not know what counts as excessive toxicity. Examples and nonexamples help both players and the site moderators to get on the same page and make the entire process more objective and transparent.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:40 am

Post by Ythan »

Ego.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Why was Firebringer banned and The Fonz not banned? Why are there such inconsistencies in the punishment?

Can someone on the moderating team respond?
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:51 pm

Post by Dannflor »

In post 8, Ythan wrote:Ego.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:54 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

It's just a case of the sqeaky wheel getting the oil. Some players do it and some players don't. John McEnroe wasn't banned from tennis for being toxic. You take the good with the bad.
Mafia Record: Town 4-3 Mafia 0-1 Third Party 1-0 Total 5-4
"NPOM you can do apparently whatever the fuck you want this game." - Alduskkel

Wiki: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... owerOverMe
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:11 pm

Post by Alisae »

"YOU'RE A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT NERO. YOU ARE A CANCER ON THE SITE AND I HOPE YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE."
Was this just not reported?
I'd imagine that if this was reported it would have had to warrant a ban so I'm surprised it doesn't. ABR got banned for telling someone to die or something similar I don't remember exactly but this is fine??????
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 pm

Post by Alisae »

wow I checked if that post was reported and it said that reports were closed on it.
WOW.
I don't know what to say
GTKAS
| here.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 13, Alisae wrote:wow I checked if that post was reported and it said that reports were closed on it.
WOW.
I don't know what to say
In post 10, Dannflor wrote:
In post 8, Ythan wrote:Ego.
There's no reaching. I've become enlightened.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

This sort of thing is rarely a problem for sites like MU because they pretty much have a zero tolerance policy involving anything involving attacking another person’s character in any way and TPTB are extremely consistent about this. They don’t care if you’re a newbie or a mod, they don’t play favourites and therefore things rarely get heated.

I for example, tend to respond extremely poorly to anything that could remotely be considered any kind of personal attack, where it involves my ethics, integrity, sanity, intelligence, etc. I otoh, react quite well to any criticisms on my playstyle. And eventhough I try not to call any players “WOATS” anymore, if anyone were to ever call me that, I’d just probably laugh, because I wouldn’t take that sort of thing personally.

Often in games, at least one person will object to something another player has posted for whatever reason and if they limit their criticism to a particular post in question, things don’t usually get out of hand but all too often, they try to shame that player and that has the opposite deleterious effect, because unless you’re an extremely thick skinned individual, that can really get under your skin. This is especially true for anyone who’s survived an emotionally abusive environment in their childhood and they get retriggered by that.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Spoiler:
In post 15, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:This sort of thing is rarely a problem for sites like MU because they pretty much have a zero tolerance policy involving anything involving attacking another person’s character in any way and TPTB are extremely consistent about this. They don’t care if you’re a newbie or a mod, they don’t play favourites and therefore things rarely get heated.

I for example, tend to respond extremely poorly to anything that could remotely be considered any kind of personal attack, where it involves my ethics, integrity, sanity, intelligence, etc. I otoh, react quite well to any criticisms on my playstyle. And eventhough I try not to call any players “WOATS” anymore, if anyone were to ever call me that, I’d just probably laugh, because I wouldn’t take that sort of thing personally.

Often in games, at least one person will object to something another player has posted for whatever reason and if they limit their criticism to a particular post in question, things don’t usually get out of hand but all too often, they try to shame that player and that has the opposite deleterious effect, because unless you’re an extremely thick skinned individual, that can really get under your skin. This is especially true for anyone who’s survived an emotionally abusive environment in their childhood and they get retriggered by that.

I just thought I should clarify that I was referring to MU the forum and not the discord server. I never really got to involved with it but there was this very emotionally scarred kid who used to spend a great deal of time on there and I don’t really know the fully story but apparently he said things that were interpreted as antagonistic to other members (I’m just assuming, based off of what I’d read about it)? and apparently in response he was bullied a lot. I don’t personally recall ever having interacted with this individual but he supposedly was also dealing with a lot of rl stress as well (again basing this off of assumptions of what I’ve read)? Anyway, for whatever reasons, this poor kid eventually took his own life.

So, a gentle reminder I guess to try to practice kindness and compassion and refrain from being excessively judgmental of others when you don’t have any idea what they’re going through outside of whatever respective games. This is extremely difficult in games, especially when situations get heated and it isn’t easy for anyone. I know that better than anyone. I personally have had an extremely difficult time of it since my best friend passed away from an autoimmune liver disease almost a year ago. I guess the important thing to remember is whether in a game or a discord server, you are dealing with real people who can definitely be deeply affected by what is said to them, in ways you might not even imagine.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:46 am

Post by davesaz »

Mafia bans are from listmods, not game mods right?
There could be discussions or warnings happening in the background that we aren't aware of.
Clear standards and/or clearly level treatment is good in general, no arguments there.

In my past experience as a site mod elsewhere, and a senior mod at that, mod actions were useful for two main purposes -- to put an immediate stop to an urgent spiraling situation, and to handle chronic and incorrigible offenders. Especially here, where having enough active players is literally the lifeblood of the site, overdoing it is a recipe for disaster. Underdoing it is also a recipe for disaster, if there is a perception that the results are arbitrary and/or toxicity drives people away. It's a balancing act and they have to be careful not to tip it too far, while at the same time exerting enough influence to keep things civil. Not to mention too heavy a thumb on the wheel and it affects the game in progress.

One thing we did on my old site was to have the site mod (not game mod) post in-thread warnings in an official capacity. That way not only the offender but everyone see immediately what's considered over the line and what isn't. I don't know if list mods have the bandwidth or tools to do that here, and it's tricky in a situation where they're also players in the game. Perhaps always have someone not in the game handle it, and just make sure the listmods never get into a situation where they're all in a single game. If I get the opportunity to make this a suggestion I will.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Well it seems that’s the major issue that the mods’s decisions wrt bans do seem arbitrary if the example RC referenced is any indication. I was in a game where I was constantly getting insulted by the same two players despite not doing anything to warrant it and the game mod just told me that they wouldn’t do anything to stop it, including posting a general warning not to be a jerk. Because none of the insults were actually over the top as referenced in this thread, I knew reporting the offending posts would have accomplished nothing, so I think there ought to be some kind of requirement for game mods to at at least try to put a stop to such behaviour when a player is clearly feeling harassed by it. Most game mods would have done something in that situation I believe if only to have posted a general warning but I think if it’s an actual requirement for game mods not to be able to turn a blind eye to that sort of thing, it obviously would definitely help.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:54 am

Post by tn5421 »

The problem with that approach is that while any one post may not be over the top, the body of behavior absolutely is.
WIP
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 19, tn5421 wrote:The problem with that approach is that while any one post may not be over the top, the body of behavior absolutely is.
The obvious problem is that can also be open to interpretation if I had tried to report it. It was extremely obvious to me but depending on the mod, there is no guarantee that they would view it that way. That’s why I believe that the kind of 0 tolerance policy that sites like MU have work best and as a result of that toxicity in games is extremely uncommon and very few if any players are ever concerned about blacklists. MU also has a really strict policy wrt repeat flaking which is a different matter entirely, however that hasn’t necessarily worked all that well.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:57 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

it might be nice to see a little more transparency.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 21, Nero Cain wrote:it might be nice to see a little more transparency.
+1

Yep.

I’m extremely sorry you had to go through that. No one should ever have to be subjected to what you were in that game.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

eh.

I was just mostly confused when the case got closed 4 days later.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:00 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

its funnier when you know that I was pushing scum and he was pushing town.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”