pls help

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

pls help

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:34 am

Post by Taly »

i want all the fun attached to playing mafia but none of the stress or time consumption associated

waht brain tricks do i implement for this to be possible ?
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:43 am

Post by Isis »

I think most people's go-to for this is "join a hydra with the understanding I might flake and leave you solo"
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 am

Post by Errantparabola »

among us, presumably
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:10 am

Post by Something_Smart »

I would imagine the answer here is not as simple as "stop taking the game so seriously", though that is the end goal.

If you just sat down to a game and told yourself "I'm not going to wallpost, I'm not going to ISO dive, I'm not going to obsess over getting people to listen to me, and I'm not going to care if I lose as long as I had a good time", what would happen? I assume that would fail, since you can't just edit your desires on a whim. But do you know exactly what would go wrong?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:11 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 2, Errantparabola wrote:among us, presumably
This is a good point, too-- a lot of other games do provide the fun of social deduction without as much stress. But you do need a good group.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:27 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Play games for fun not for srs :)

Works for me!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:14 am

Post by Taly »

In post 1, Isis wrote:I think most people's go-to for this is "join a hydra with the understanding I might flake and leave you solo"
lol what im trying to avoid

also are you
pops
?
In post 2, Errantparabola wrote:among us, presumably
pReSuMaBlY
In post 3, Something_Smart wrote:I would imagine the answer here is not as simple as "stop taking the game so seriously", though that is the end goal.

If you just sat down to a game and told yourself "I'm not going to wallpost, I'm not going to ISO dive, I'm not going to obsess over getting people to listen to me, and I'm not going to care if I lose as long as I had a good time", what would happen? I assume that would fail, since you can't just edit your desires on a whim. But do you know exactly what would go wrong?
i like this suggestion

no wallposts
no ISO dives
not giving a shit if people listen

good 3-part rule
In post 5, Aristophanes wrote:Play games for fun not for srs :)

Works for me!
VOTE: Aristophanes
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:20 am

Post by Isis »

I used to be pops, I've been reborn!
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:39 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

ego for similar problems/interest in the answers

my solution has been mish mash and getting into modding, plus a few mental health breaks, but I wish I was more open to playing with the problems we have firing games right now
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:44 am

Post by Chickadee »

Among Us

or Push The Button in Jackbox party pack 6

You just want the party versions of mafia, not the forum versions.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Post by mastina »

On this site, there will always always always be time commitments past a certain point and in bad rng situations, always inevitably situations where due to the unique combination of players and game mechanics, stress comes up.

But in general, to minimize them: play more casually, and not super-tryhard. You lose competency as both town/scum because if you play the game super-seriously as either scum or town you will in general perform much better than you would otherwise, but playing more casually is a lifesaver. Play in one or two games at most; play in games where there's simple mechanics that're easy to understand, but ideally also unique mechanics assuming it's a theme game. Games that have something that gives a neat spin, but doesn't consume the entirety of the game.

Don't take effort to make big walls, or be too afraid of not reading everything. Skim, skip if needed, pages, and engage only in what interests you. Don't engage in every possible subject; engage only in the ones that you most want to. Said subjects need not be game-related; banter can help as well.

Do all of these, and you'll be a significantly less competent player, but you'll have more fun and be far less stressed overall.

Also, in general: play with a mixture of players who you know well and enjoy playing with, and players you don't know. (Playing exclusively with players you don't know is generally not that fun; playing exclusively with players you know well and enjoy playing with usually doesn't pan out in practice no matter what the theory may be, so combine the two.) Obviously, avoid playing with players you know you don't enjoy playing with. (Not necessarily a hard-blacklist, but soft-blacklist of sorts.)

Having variety, but in a controlled amount, is a great way to continue to have fun in the game and avoid getting stressed. Time commitments are a bit of an issue regardless, tho.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 10, mastina wrote:Also, in general: play with a mixture of players who you know well and enjoy playing with, and players you don't know. (Playing exclusively with players you don't know is generally not that fun; playing exclusively with players you know well and enjoy playing with usually doesn't pan out in practice no matter what the theory may be, so combine the two.)
I like this advice!
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 3, Something_Smart wrote:I would imagine the answer here is not as simple as "stop taking the game so seriously", though that is the end goal.

If you just sat down to a game and told yourself "I'm not going to wallpost, I'm not going to ISO dive,
I'm not going to obsess over getting people to listen to me
, and I'm not going to care if I lose as long as I had a good time", what would happen? I assume that would fail, since you can't just edit your desires on a whim. But do you know exactly what would go wrong?
Probably get misexecuted? I actually enjoy ISO diving but I should probably do less of the bolded. I can have a good time if I lose if I believe I played well, as well as not misexecuting stong townreads because I either doubt myself or get talked into that.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 0, Taly wrote:i want all the fun attached to playing mafia but none of the stress or time consumption associated

waht brain tricks do i implement for this to be possible ?

This is your optimal solution.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:44 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 6, Taly wrote:
In post 5, Aristophanes wrote:Play games for fun not for srs :)

Works for me!
VOTE: Aristophanes
*INSERT RAGEPOST HERE!!!*
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:54 am

Post by Taly »

In post 10, mastina wrote:On this site, there will always always always be time commitments past a certain point and in bad rng situations, always inevitably situations where due to the unique combination of players and game mechanics, stress comes up.

But in general, to minimize them: play more casually, and not super-tryhard. You lose competency as both town/scum because if you play the game super-seriously as either scum or town you will in general perform much better than you would otherwise, but playing more casually is a lifesaver. Play in one or two games at most; play in games where there's simple mechanics that're easy to understand, but ideally also unique mechanics assuming it's a theme game. Games that have something that gives a neat spin, but doesn't consume the entirety of the game.

Don't take effort to make big walls, or be too afraid of not reading everything. Skim, skip if needed, pages, and engage only in what interests you. Don't engage in every possible subject; engage only in the ones that you most want to. Said subjects need not be game-related; banter can help as well.

Do all of these, and you'll be a significantly less competent player, but you'll have more fun and be far less stressed overall.

Also, in general: play with a mixture of players who you know well and enjoy playing with, and players you don't know. (Playing exclusively with players you don't know is generally not that fun; playing exclusively with players you know well and enjoy playing with usually doesn't pan out in practice no matter what the theory may be, so combine the two.) Obviously, avoid playing with players you know you don't enjoy playing with. (Not necessarily a hard-blacklist, but soft-blacklist of sorts.)

Having variety, but in a controlled amount, is a great way to continue to have fun in the game and avoid getting stressed. Time commitments are a bit of an issue regardless, tho.
really enjoying this reply, especially the variety aspect keeping the game fresh

but i will say, as a wallposter, as someone who usually reads and rereads so much, i dont think my competency will be hurt if i stopped taking the game as seriously.

im a logical player but an emotional person... frustration and burnout greatly impact my ability to think clearly. so i might have more fun AND be more competent

i think your assessment is true in most cases though, and may still apply to me
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:08 am

Post by Ramcius »

I agree that wallposts are bad - personally I tend to ignore them, I forget what person was talking about, when I'm halfway through it :lol: another issue with wallposts is that there a lot of accusations in it and as a scum you don't need to defend yourself against all of them, it's mindblowing, I know, but people would trust you, if you prove some accusations wrong and just leave alone accusations you can't explain, therefore less is more.

ISO diving is fine, but in moderation, trying to bring stuff from long time ago is often pointless as people don't want to reinvestigate things they already discussed

But if you don't care, if people listen to you, then why do you play mafia at all? You can just read game and try to solve it without participating in it, would be same effect
Tact is for liars and politicians.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:54 am

Post by Taly »

In post 16, Ramcius wrote:I agree that wallposts are bad - personally I tend to ignore them, I forget what person was talking about, when I'm halfway through it :lol: another issue with wallposts is that there a lot of accusations in it and as a scum you don't need to defend yourself against all of them, it's mindblowing, I know, but people would trust you, if you prove some accusations wrong and just leave alone accusations you can't explain, therefore less is more.

ISO diving is fine, but in moderation, trying to bring stuff from long time ago is often pointless as people don't want to reinvestigate things they already discussed

But if you don't care, if people listen to you, then why do you play mafia at all? You can just read game and try to solve it without participating in it, would be same effect
I meant, I'm not going to become frustrated when people don't listen, as that has been my experience as someone who walls often. (Perhaps that will change upon a communication style overhaul.)

Also, I don't think I'm a charismatic player. My tonal range is jarringly broad.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:36 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 16, Ramcius wrote:I agree that wallposts are bad - personally I tend to ignore them, I forget what person was talking about, when I'm halfway through it :lol: another issue with wallposts is that there a lot of accusations in it and as a scum you don't need to defend yourself against all of them, it's mindblowing, I know, but people would trust you, if you prove some accusations wrong and just leave alone accusations you can't explain, therefore less is more.

What’s really ironic to me is that Mastina’s advice works great for me when I’m either scum or am pretty much clueless as to what’s happening in a game as town but unfortunately people tend to sometimes misread frustration at not being listened to as scum indicative, because they incorrectly believe that scum plays with a one size fits all kind of mentality basically. Iow, any type of aggression=scum, which is actually only true for some players and may in fact be the complete opposite for others.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:39 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 17, Taly wrote:

I meant, I'm not going to become frustrated when people don't listen, as that has been my experience as someone who walls often. (Perhaps that will change upon a communication style overhaul.)

Also, I don't think I'm a charismatic player. My tonal range is jarringly broad.
No one posts gifs more charismatically than you do. You possess an uniquely brilliant way of just happening to post the perfect gif at the exact right time, which is one of the main reasons (there are many others) I enjoy playing with you.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:18 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 17, Taly wrote:

Good luck with that, I couldn't. I just couldn't stand and watch people doing nothing and ignoring everything I say, so it was a bit since I joined a game
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:20 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 18, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:

What’s really ironic to me is that Mastina’s advice works great for me when I’m either scum or am pretty much clueless as to what’s happening in a game as town but unfortunately people tend to sometimes misread frustration at not being listened to as scum indicative, because they incorrectly believe that scum plays with a one size fits all kind of mentality basically. Iow, any type of aggression=scum, which is actually only true for some players and may in fact be the complete opposite for others.
True story - I was misexecuted way too much D1, when I started here just for playing aggressive :lol:
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:14 am

Post by Ythan »

How about that.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think in order to handle stress that comes up, if it's inevitable, it would actually be better to take a more competitive approach to mafia, as well as realizing it's a game. That seems to work for me so far.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:41 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I think getting drunk/stoned or otherwise inebriated is a vastly underrated strategy.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”