Most common conventional logic fails

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Most common conventional logic fails

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:50 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Time and time again, town makes bad reads by rigorously applying a one size fits all approach.

1) Being survivalistic is scum indicative. This false belief is mainly predicted on the belief that scum cares more about winning than town cares about being misexected.

FACT: town is in general far more likely to get upset at an incorrect scumread than scum is at a correct one. I’ve observed quite a few players even act chill about this as scum who practically went postal over that as town.

2) Tunnels, only inexperienced or newbscum tunnels when it works against their wincon but wrongly deathtunnelling town may often be ego or emotionally invested in being “right” and may ignore obvious clues that detract from that.

3) AtEs, particularly displays of anger are wrongly viewed as usually scum indicative. For the vast majority of players, it tends to be the opposite. Unfortunately town tends to be emotionally put off by AtEs (especially angry one, because
infrequently
scum can do this as well) but in general, it’s town indicative, especially if everything else points to that player being town.

4) Ellitells - ignore them. In almost every game I’ve seen them used, they’re usually wrong.

6) Activity levels, whether you base your reads on high post count or lurking, this method is more frequently than not, useless.

7) Ignoring meta. While it’s definitely true that players can and do change their meta, far too many players ignore its value.

FACT: even the most experienced players don’t completely surpass their meta, only up to a point.

8) Omgus scumreads, while it’s way more logical to assume a player is just plain wrong as opposed to scum, when they scumread you, making this assumption is more often than not wrong because many players don’t often see this.

9) Reads are based more on a particular player’s ISO, voting history or player interactions. In an ideal world, this would definitely be true but unfortunately all too often, people allow their emotions or confibiases to trump all of that and there is pretty much no reasoning with people who are locked into to bad reads because of emotion or confibiases.

10) Misusing meta. Meta is generally only useful when there’s a clear, long-standing AI pattern. This also includes selective reading or outright misinterpretation. This is why it’s important to actually back up any meta reads with links or quotes.

11) Gut/soul reads. They are often hit or miss and are most useful when they don’t trump logic or facts. If gut/soul reads align with logic/facts, they are probably correct but when they don’t, it’s best to ignore them.

12) I personally have probably been guilty of most or all of these things at one point or another.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:54 am

Post by Ythan »

Re point one I generally find it easier to accept being voted out as scum because I know it's correct.
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:40 am

Post by Sirius9121 »

point 5 go bleep
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
発熱が死因 然れば早期に躊躇すべきだったと知る放火犯
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:54 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, Sirius9121 wrote:point 5 go bleep
:lol:

Forgot point 5. :oops:

I’ll make a placeholder for point 5 unless someone beats me too it.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:41 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Commenting 11, if I have a gut, soul read, come lylo, I’m trusting that. I think I’ve only misvoted in final 3 once. (On site that is)
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:49 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Ellitells
Whats this
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 5, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
Whats this
The “Ellitell” means that if a player is active in multiple ongoing games, but inactive in one game, the player is scum in that game.

Which is absurd
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

I see, thanks
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 6, Guillotina wrote:
In post 5, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
Whats this
The “Ellitell” means that if a player is active in multiple ongoing games, but inactive in one game, the player is scum in that game.

Which is absurd
Where did it get it's name from?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Post by Ythan »

Ellibereth I think.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think Ellitell has a point to some degree
You just have to account for the person potentially prioritizing or caring more about other games
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”

Return to “Mafia Discussion”