Just like the simulations

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Post by Awoo »

I hate that there is so little literature on this...
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Post by Isis »

Ok there's a dumb showerthought I was having today

In a setup like Goon Goon Doctor VTx6 you definitely ask for claims at E-1 and if someone claims Doctor and there's no counterclaim then you vote elsewhere.

At what point does the power role becomes powerful enough that it's no longer correct to ask for a claim, because it's not worth it to ask for a counterclaim either, because the role is so powerful if it stays hidden?

So like
3 Mafia Goon
1 Publishing Cop
9 VT

For both strategies: the PR crumbs results each day, claims role and all results at ELo -1 when it can't be counterclaimed.
For strategy A: When someone is run up to E1, on Day 1 only, that player claims if they are a cop, then nobody counterclaims, someone else is eliminated, they are NKed that night and only get one result out. If that player is mafia, the claim, the real cop counterclaims, and the mafia is eliminated and the cop gets NKed.
For strategy B: When someone is run up to E1 on Day1 they lay down and die.

Follow up question, does this vary with the number of VTs, can strategy A dominate when the expected number of publishes gets lower, but strategy B dominate when there are more players and it's more likely that the cop can do more work if they don't have to out themselves counterclaiming.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Post by Isis »

maybe this is a dumb question because it's a false dilemma because you can get a claim D1 and just decide you're not sure if it's true and handle it later, neither eliminating it nor polling for a counterclaim for it.

my understanding of PR setups is consistently weak
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:37 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

So basically, you prevent the mafia from being able to fake claim to out the cop.
This is an interesting question. Is counter claiming immediately ever actually the best strategy when you could instead just wait and see if the cop claim dies? I wonder if the general strategy in open setups should be to never counterclaim until elo.

pedit yeah I don't think people actually do that though. Also a 1:1 trade is kinda what you hope to get out of a PR (IMO)
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 51, Isis wrote:For strategy A: When someone is run up to E1, on Day 1 only, that player claims if they are a cop, then nobody counterclaims, someone else is eliminated, they are NKed that night and only get one result out. If that player is mafia, the claim, the real cop counterclaims, and the mafia is eliminated and the cop gets NKed.
assuming that publishing cop = public cop (i.e. a cop whose results are made public to the thread) then why wouldn't this situation just be treated like a vig claim where nobody ever counterclaims and if someone is fakeclaiming the real PR just targets them at night? with a vig shooting the fakeclaimer, with a public cop investigating them as scum

obviously the broader point you're making might still hold true for other powerful roles but

also even still i feel if you just go with the policy of not claiming at E1 but instead when someone gives intent to hammer that it's basically always better to claim?
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:31 pm

Post by Isis »

I think I got caught in a false dilemma, and the idea of not collecting the counterclaim is the stronger possible thought, and while the counterclaim is pending you do have some degrees of freedom to just vote outside of the player who claimed.
"Well, I..."
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:46 am